NON SPOILERS: Twin Peaks: Season 3 on Showtime Thread

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Re: NO SPOILERS: Twin Peaks Season 3 on Showtime May 21st 2017

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

A lot of interesting stuff from DKL. He, like Mark, didn't bother to rewatch the original show at all. Huh. I had my faith in DKL (who tended to be the keeper of the light as far as the 1989 date goes), but it sounds like we definitely might be in for some rocky continuity.

He seems to have a sense of humor about MJA not returning, and even drops a vaguely spoilerish comment cryptically confirming a recast (or, perhaps more likely, a completely change in physical form).

It's interesting that he repeatedly says he's not "allowed" to talk about certain things in these interviews. I wonder if he's honoring some sort of personal or spiritual code? Or did he sign a NDA too?

Definitions with DKL: A film can be released in 18 parts aired over many weeks. A FEATURE, however, is max 3 hours and is released in theaters. :lol:

He also comes across as much more open to continuing the series, saying it depends how it "goes over." I'm hoping for a closed ending, but that definitely sounds like there could more story to tell.
Rami Airola
RR Diner Member

Post by Rami Airola »

N. Needleman wrote:Interesting comment in there from Lynch himself about S2.
"Mr. Lynch said in a phone interview, explaining that his work on the film “Wild at Heart” pulled him away from the show after the first season."

Oh David, don't you remember you were doing Wild at Heart while making the first season, not the second? It was shown in Cannes two days after (or a few days before - wikipedia says May 25th, imdb says May 19th) the last episode of the first season of Twin Peaks was aired. There is no way Wild at Heart "pulled him away from the show after the first season."
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:A lot of interesting stuff from DKL. He, like Mark, didn't bother to rewatch the original show at all. Huh. I had my faith in DKL (who tended to be the keeper of the light as far as the 1989 date goes), but it sounds like we definitely might be in for some rocky continuity.

He seems to have a sense of humor about MJA not returning, and even drops a vaguely spoilerish comment cryptically confirming a recast (or, perhaps more likely, a completely change in physical form).

It's interesting that he repeatedly says he's not "allowed" to talk about certain things in these interviews. I wonder if he's honoring some sort of personal or spiritual code? Or did he sign a NDA too?

Definitions with DKL: A film can be released in 18 parts aired over many weeks. A FEATURE, however, is max 3 hours and is released in theaters. :lol:

He also comes across as much more open to continuing the series, saying it depends how it "goes over." I'm hoping for a closed ending, but that definitely sounds like there could more story to tell.
One of the members of this Board stated way back in 2015 that he met Lynch on set and Lynch could not confirm whether he was playing Gordon Cole or not (at the time) because it would violate his NDA. Don't remember who the poster was.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
The Jumping Man
RR Diner Member

Post by The Jumping Man »

Lynch did say he'd signed an NDA in an earlier interview.

He must have watched the original series when doing the Blu-ray, right?
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

Jerry Horne wrote:Don Murray.
Another Jean Renault?

I am hoping Don Murray has a fairly sizable role.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
Rami Airola
RR Diner Member

Post by Rami Airola »

Mr. Reindeer wrote: It's interesting that he repeatedly says he's not "allowed" to talk about certain things in these interviews. I wonder if he's honoring some sort of personal or spiritual code? Or did he sign a NDA too?
I recall him saying in some interview(?) a year(?) or two(?) ago something akin to "well, there is this thing called the NDA" when someone tried to ask him about Twin Peaks.
Cde.
Roadhouse Member

Post by Cde. »

Lynch organising an NDA for himself as an excuse not to reveal anything is the most Lynch thing ever.
Mordeen
Great Northern Member

Post by Mordeen »

All this press and marketing. . .

. . .still no Ray Wise.

-Mordeen
Moving Through Time. . .
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

I'm far from convinced neither of them went back and looked at at least some of the show.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

So DKL stopped watching the show when it was originally airing, and didn't watch it when he made the Return. When asked why, he goes back to talking about how the Pilot is the purest version of TP for him.
The Jumping Man wrote:He must have watched the original series when doing the Blu-ray, right?
I think on those type of projects a lot of delegation is involved, and especially on a TV series, a producer might just watch key scenes to get a sense. Particularly since DKL was busy on TMP at the same time, I doubt he sat there and watched every second of every episode.
Dropout

Post by Dropout »

In regards to either Frost or Lynch rewatching the original series. I think they could get away with a lot with the 25 year gap. Especially with the dreamlike nature of Lynch's stories.

But I bet they also had someone on set that focused on continuity. Or would look things up I'd they were referencing things from 25 years ago. It's not hard to find detailed descriptions.
Judge Giant
Roadhouse Member

Post by Judge Giant »

Mordeen wrote:All this press and marketing. . .

. . .still no Ray Wise.

-Mordeen
I read in a recent piece (can't remember which) that certain actors aren't even allowed to discuss the show until AFTER all 18 parts have aired - presumably due to the nature of their respective roles. Whether this is common knowledge here or if I've read/interpreted that wrong I don't know, but it stands to reason that Ray Wise is one of those people. It would make sense given his character.
This was a vision, fresh and clear as a mountain stream. The mind revealing itself to itself.

Visit my Lynch blog at https://lynchiantimes.wordpress.com, or follow on twitter https://twitter.com/LynchianTimes
Dom834
Roadhouse Member

Post by Dom834 »

indyit wrote:She's 26. Yes, she'd be too young to be TP, but as you've pointed out, Cooper was too young as well. Are we sure she's TP? Isn't this something that is still highly speculated? Wasn't the most recent fan belief that TP's likely to be Chrysta Bell? I think it's also possible that TP is one of the many other actresses.
I have less problem with the cheat of having someone be Special Agent at 26 y.o, than I have with the notion that Mark Frost gave a 26 y.o. agent a career of at least seven years in the FBI. I've no idea where the speculation about Shiels (or about Chrysta) as Preston comes from. Others have speculated that Preston ought to be between early 30s and early 50s to fit the clues from the book. I've seen many mentions of Madeline Zima, 31, as a candidate for Preston since we've seen somewhat formally dressed in a teaser saying "Try me". That'd be like Cooper.

Of course some wonder if Frost did introduce in the book the "new Cooper" of the series with Tamara, or more like a new Chester Desmond...
Mallard
RR Diner Member

Post by Mallard »

Rami Airola wrote:
"Mr. Lynch said in a phone interview, explaining that his work on the film “Wild at Heart” pulled him away from the show after the first season."

Oh David, don't you remember you were doing Wild at Heart while making the first season, not the second? It was shown in Cannes two days after (or a few days before - wikipedia says May 25th, imdb says May 19th) the last episode of the first season of Twin Peaks was aired. There is no way Wild at Heart "pulled him away from the show after the first season."
"It's not a lie, if YOU believe it."
- George Cosatanza
Welcome...to the third...place.
Rami Airola
RR Diner Member

Post by Rami Airola »

Mallard wrote:
Rami Airola wrote:

"It's not a lie, if YOU believe it."
- George Cosatanza
Ha! Perfect reply :D

True!