NON SPOILERS: Twin Peaks: Season 3 on Showtime Thread

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Re: NO SPOILERS: Twin Peaks Season 3 on Showtime May 21st 2017

Post by Agent Earle »

The Jumping Man wrote:Lotta people keeping their eye on the hole, not the donut...
Hey, that's us continuity nazis for ya! :D
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

TweetPeak wrote:That's soo 2003
What is?
underthefan
Great Northern Member

Post by underthefan »

Didn't we already see that production still of Madchen and Peggy in their RR uniforms? I know we're obsessed and all about analyzing every single little detail, but I think some of you may be overdoing it in this case, even for TP standards...
Panapaok
Bookhouse Member

Post by Panapaok »

Another day full of excitement and anticipation! Loved the Knepper/Belushi pic, as well as all the pics from the NYT.

Interesting that now Lynch leaves the door open for more Peaks. I still want this to be an one-off but we should wait and see first. As for his quote about the LMFAP, I don't think he implied that he was recast but that they went on a different direction with the character. Possibly a different physical appearance.

As for continuity, I wouldn't worry that much. There is this 25 year gap, it's not a direct sequel to S2. I guess that there will be some minor missteps but not something important. Let's just hope that they didn't forget the important details, such as Lucy's pregnancy and we'll be just fine. :lol:
This is - excuse me - a damn fine cup of coffee.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

I understand people's anxieties and frustrations. I guess it's easier for me to say this due to my trust in DKL, but Lynch & Frost made the choice -- under no obligation to anyone -- to continue the journey they started together almost 30 years ago and to return to this world. This is their gift to us, and it needs to be whatever they want it to be.

If you end up deciding it sucks or betrays the original, just ignore it, like a bad movie sequel. You'll still have the original, this won't change it or taint it in any way. It's not like, say, Dexter or my beloved Lost (speaking of alternate realities ruining a season :roll:), or even arguably the original TP run, where weaker subsequent seasons/episodes cheapen the show as a whole. This is a separate production made 25 years later.

Yes, it will certainly be painful if after all the hype and excitement we've all been feeling, the show lets some of us down in one way or another. I get that. But Mark and especially DKL put in a shitload of work in to give us SOMETHING new in the TP universe. Even if I end up hating it, I don't feel I have the right to act like they betrayed me or the franchise by following their personal visions.
Last edited by Mr. Reindeer on Wed May 17, 2017 12:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Venus
RR Diner Member

Post by Venus »

Veering slightly off the current topic, apologies if already posted and I missed it.

Rolling Stone interview with DKL out today (not sure if in the magazine/print or not) http://www.rollingstone.com/tv/features ... ve-w482337

What should viewers know going into the new season?
Absolutely nothing.

You told Variety that the film Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me was very important to understanding the new run.
I said it's important. But even so, I think that someone who's never seen Twin Peaks would be able to go along.

So it's a whole new thing?
I didn't say that. I said they'd be able to go along.

How did you get back into the Twin Peaks mindset?
[Co-creator Mark Frost and I] both know the world, so it's sort of like going back to a place where you grew up. You know your way around even though things are a little different. Memories come back and ideas come like that.

Did you watch the original seasons again?
No.

Why not?
This is ... You know, I can't answer that. Sorry [laughs].

What did you go off of then if you didn't watch those again?
Well, for me anyways, the pilot was the most Twin Peaks, and then other things came along that became Twin Peaks as well. It's a particular ... We all see it from our own point of view.

How did you know you had an idea strong enough to bring back to TV?
I didn't really know. I just had fragments and we got together and more and more ideas started coming. One day, there it was.

How was it working with everyone again?
So beautiful. It was like a family reunion every day.

Did it click right away with the cast?
It was kind of remarkable. The people that had been in the original knew their characters. They loved the world and got right back on the bike and went. And the new people ... everybody was super. It was a great ride.

Actor Frank Silva, who played the pivotal role of Bob in the original Twin Peaks and was in the final shot of the last episode, died in 1995. Will he have a presence in the new series in some way?
I'm not allowed to say that.

OK, similarly, in that same final episode, the Man From Another Place – actor Michael J. Anderson – says, "When you see me again, it won't be me." What can you say about that?
That it's more true than you think [laughs].

Your new cast members include Trent Reznor and Eddie Vedder. What appealed to you about them to make you want to cast them?
Well, I'm probably not allowed to talk about that either. I'm just fans of both of them. And I'd worked with Trent on Lost Highway.

The Twin Peaks setting itself could be considered a returning character. What do you feel when you go out shooting the show in the woods at night?
Oh, the woods are full of mystery. It's really great. Daytime woods are really beautiful, but at night, the mystery quotient goes way up and it's a real beautiful experience. The woods in the Northwest, they're friendly woods. I guess you could come across a bear, though by and large they're very friendly. But they still hold a mystery. They're kind of overwhelming when you're in them and it's night.

Those shots have always fascinated me because they say so much about nature, the environment and the spirituality of all of that.
Beautiful.

"Feature films are not having a great time right now – at least the kind of feature films that I would want to see or make. The new art house is cable television."
You wrote every episode with Mark Frost. What is it about the two of you that works so well?

I'm not sure. We just have fun writing together.

How do you go about it?
Intuition is the Number One tool.

You directed every episode. How was it directing 18 hours of TV?
I see it as a film – so it's an 18-hour film. It's like directing anything in cinema. It's exactly like working on a film.

But since it's television and released in hour-long increments, don't you have to think about the end of each hour?
No, you don't really. You divide it up.

You recently said you weren't doing movies ever again –
[Interrupts] I didn't say that. That was a misquote. I just said that feature films are not having a great time right now – at least the kind of feature films that I would want to see or make. Theaters want money, so they put in films that are going to generate a big audience. But the art houses are mostly gone. I say the new art house is cable television.

Do you see yourself making features for television now?

No. I don't know what will happen next, but this is an 18-hour film in my mind. And I love the idea of a continuing story. A feature is over in two-and-a-half, three hours. The stories that you tell on cable can go on and on and on. It's really beautiful.

Will there be more Twin Peaks after this?
I have no idea. It depends on how it goes over. You're going to have to wait and see.

Have you thought about what's next for you?
No. I just finished working on this finally, and it's coming out this week.

It sounds like a fly-by-the-sea-of-your-pants experience.
It's just a long haul to get it all done.

So much has changed since Twin Peaks first aired. Do you feel a competition in the TV environment?
No, no, no. This whole thing of competition is a bit ridiculous. You just do your work as good as you can, and try to enjoy the doing. Then when you put it out in the world, it's out of your control. You just hope for the best.

What television do you like then?
I really liked Mad Men, and I liked Breaking Bad. I also like [the TV network] Velocity. It's about customizing and restoring cars, and it's really fascinating to me. There are real artists out there with automobiles doing incredible, incredible work. Sculpture. It's beautiful.

What films have you liked recently?
I haven't seen anything for at least five years.

Is that just because you've been busy?
Yeah.

You have a lot of catching up to do then.
I don't really ... I'm not really a film buff. I like to work on my own things.

Lastly, there's been some debate online in recent years about whether your film, Mulholland Drive, is a horror film or not. What do you make of that?

No, it's not a horror movie. Let's put it this way: I like a film that holds different genres. Just like life. One day you can have a horror film, a comedy, a romantic thing. It's crazy to put a genre on a film, really, unless it just wants to be that. So it's not a horror film, no. I don't know who started that, but it's kind of way off base.
When Jupiter and Saturn meet...
underthefan
Great Northern Member

Post by underthefan »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:I understand people's anxieties and frustrations. I guess it's easier for me to say this due to my trust in DKL, but Lynch & Frost made the choice -- under no obligation to anyone -- to continue the journey they started together almost 30 years ago and to return to this world. This is their gift to us, and it needs to be whatever they want it to be.

If you end up deciding it sucks or betrays the original, just ignore it, like a bad movie sequel. You'll still have the original, this won't change it or taint it in any way. It's not like, say, Dexter or my beloved Lost (speaking of alternate realities ruining a season :roll:), or even arguably the original TP run, where weaker subsequent seasons/episodes cheapen the show as a whole. This is a separate production made 25 years later.

Yes, it will certainly be painful if after all the hype and excitement we've all been feeling, the show lets some of us down in one way or another. I get that. But Mark and especially DKL put in a shitload of work in to give us SOMETHING new in the TP universe. Even if I end up hating it, I don't feel I have the right to act like they betrayed me or the franchise by following their personal visions.
I agree with this 100%. The only way I would feel really betrayed/disappointed is if TPTR turned out to a retread of the original, like most of these current revivals out there.
BookhouseBoyBob
Site Admin

Post by BookhouseBoyBob »

Venus wrote:Veering slightly off the current topic, apologies if already posted and I missed it.

Rolling Stone interview with DKL out today (not sure if in the magazine/print or not) http://www.rollingstone.com/tv/features ... ve-w482337

What should viewers know going into the new season?
Absolutely nothing. [snip..]
I just saw this a few minutes ago..I have a few friends, and even my daughter, who have not seen the original series..I'm happy to some extent that DL feels they can come into it fresh...
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

Panapaok wrote:
Interesting that now Lynch leaves the door open for more Peaks. I still want this to be an one-off but we should wait and see first.
Whatever happened to "whatever's good with Lynch"? :)
As for continuity, I wouldn't worry that much. There is this 25 year gap, it's not a direct sequel to S2.
They did kinda make a big deal out of this CONTINUING what came before, back around the time of the announcement. Feel like the words one would use to describe a "direct sequel" to me. And now I'll shut my trap on the subject. At least until we know anything more.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

I think it will somehow continue the story - but also be a different/altered timeline. As I said, I think the line "a time presents itself" is significant. Consider the following: There's the inconsistencies in Mark Frost's book and his comments on them. There's the "New" trailer park - previously seen in the town of Deer Park, now in Twin Peaks. And without going into spoilers, we've seen that some dead characters are coming back - and not just as a spirit or in the lodge. There's been a set photo of at least one character we know is deceased (and who did not appear in the lodge) in a location previously associated with them.
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

The Jumping Man wrote:Lotta people keeping their eye on the hole, not the donut...
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
Brad D
Global Moderator

Post by Brad D »

Agent Earle wrote:FROM NYTIMES ARTICLE: »With Mr. Lynch immersed in “Wild at Heart,” Mr. Frost had to fill 15 more episodes without the show’s original premise.«
MY COMMENT: My, so Lynch was, what, watching his feature film and meditating about it for this whole time. As we know damn well he couldn't've been filming it...

FROM NYTIMES ARTICLE:“I stopped watching that show because it got so bad.”
MY COMMENT: So basically Lynch's agreeing with the network pulling the plug on the show.
Terrible, terrible journalism. This person should not be allowed to write about TP for an audience.
underthefan
Great Northern Member

Post by underthefan »

Jonah wrote:
Brilliant song choice, Jonah!! <3
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

N. Needleman wrote:Lynch and Frost have been blowing off continuity wrinkles for 27 years. You're expecting them to treat this with the somber exactitude of something like Star Trek (which I like, don't get me wrong) now?

And BTW, for God's sake, Mädchen is playing Shelly. She's just bantering with the talk show host. Relax.
I personally don't think there are a lot of continuity problems in the old show. I'm not talking about the spin off books. Just the show itself. Most of the continuity issues were visual. Not a ton of actual story gaffes. The blood type being the most obvious.
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
http://twinpeakssoundtrackdesign.blogspot.com/
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

underthefan wrote:
Jonah wrote:
Brilliant song choice, Jonah!! <3
Thanks! Am a fan. Once met her at a meet and greet and asked her to play the TP theme/"Falling". She agreed- even wrote it on her hand! - but never did.