NON SPOILERS: Twin Peaks: Season 3 on Showtime Thread

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Ross
Global Moderator

Re: NO SPOILERS: Twin Peaks Season 3 on Showtime May 21st 2017

Post by Ross »

underthefan wrote:Didn't we already see that production still of Madchen and Peggy in their RR uniforms? I know we're obsessed and all about analyzing every single little detail, but I think some of you may be overdoing it in this case, even for TP standards...
I'm sure Madchen is Shelly. And I'm sure most of the returning actors are their original character. But Sheryl certainly could be playing someone new.
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
http://twinpeakssoundtrackdesign.blogspot.com/
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Brad D wrote:
Agent Earle wrote:FROM NYTIMES ARTICLE: »With Mr. Lynch immersed in “Wild at Heart,” Mr. Frost had to fill 15 more episodes without the show’s original premise.«
MY COMMENT: My, so Lynch was, what, watching his feature film and meditating about it for this whole time. As we know damn well he couldn't've been filming it...

FROM NYTIMES ARTICLE:“I stopped watching that show because it got so bad.”
MY COMMENT: So basically Lynch's agreeing with the network pulling the plug on the show.
Terrible, terrible journalism. This person should not be allowed to write about TP for an audience.
Are you talking about the W@H reference? I'm curious precisely what DKL said and whether the reporter misinterpreted it (as has happened before). Exact quotes are always preferable.

But as to the latter quote, if that is what DKL actually said, I don't see how it's bad journalism to print it. I find it interesting to read, and kind of funny.
underthefan
Great Northern Member

Post by underthefan »

Jonah wrote:
underthefan wrote:
Jonah wrote:
Brilliant song choice, Jonah!! <3
Thanks! Am a fan. Once met her at a meet and greet and asked her to play the TP theme/"Falling". She agreed- even wrote it on her hand! - but never did.
Oh, bummer - that would have been amazing!! Huge fan here too, thanks for sharing!
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Ross wrote:
N. Needleman wrote:Lynch and Frost have been blowing off continuity wrinkles for 27 years. You're expecting them to treat this with the somber exactitude of something like Star Trek (which I like, don't get me wrong) now?

And BTW, for God's sake, Mädchen is playing Shelly. She's just bantering with the talk show host. Relax.
I personally don't think there are a lot of continuity problems in the old show. I'm not talking about the spin off books. Just the show itself. Most of the continuity issues were visual. Not a ton of actual story gaffes. The blood type boing the most obvious.
I agree. I think the show had a pretty good eye for minutiae, especially considering the era it was made. I'm always confused by people talking about the show as if it were some continuity-ridden mess.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

I'd love the new series to be a de facto 1991/1992 Season 3 - i.e. what we would have gotten had it been renewed back then. And I want all the cozy stuff along with the darkness. In fact, I'm not thrilled about all the new characters at all - or the idea of much of it being set outside of TP itself. But we're not going to get that. This is going to be a new, very different ride. So we all better set our expectations accordingly - or better yet, have virtually no expectations. That's what I'm aiming for. I know I'll probably love all the stuff that is set in the town - and all the original characters. Not so sure how much I'll love the rest, but going to keep an open mind.
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

underthefan wrote:Oh, bummer - that would have been amazing!! Huge fan here too, thanks for sharing!
She's touring later this year, just after the new series wraps, so who knows. I think she was a TP fan herself - she mentioned that her video of "Spark" has a TP vibe to it. (And it does, along with "Children of the Corn" too.)
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
Mordeen
Great Northern Member

Post by Mordeen »

Brad D wrote:
Agent Earle wrote:FROM NYTIMES ARTICLE: »With Mr. Lynch immersed in “Wild at Heart,” Mr. Frost had to fill 15 more episodes without the show’s original premise.«
MY COMMENT: My, so Lynch was, what, watching his feature film and meditating about it for this whole time. As we know damn well he couldn't've been filming it...

FROM NYTIMES ARTICLE:“I stopped watching that show because it got so bad.”
MY COMMENT: So basically Lynch's agreeing with the network pulling the plug on the show.
Terrible, terrible journalism. This person should not be allowed to write about TP for an audience.
I've been almost universally disappointed with the articles that have come out thus far. I reminds me why I stopped buying or reading magazines years ago, with the notable exception of The Blue Rose mag, because it's put together by fans who are also friends.

-Mordeen
Moving Through Time. . .
polishq
RR Diner Member

Post by polishq »

I bought the LP of this. "Sycamore Trees" is pretty good but ST37's cover of "Just You" is the real highlight!
Mordeen
Great Northern Member

Post by Mordeen »

Wow I lasted exactly 15 seconds before desperately mashing the red X of my browser window. I think my mouse button broke.

-Mordeen
Moving Through Time. . .
underthefan
Great Northern Member

Post by underthefan »

Jonah wrote:
underthefan wrote:Oh, bummer - that would have been amazing!! Huge fan here too, thanks for sharing!
She's touring later this year, just after the new series wraps, so who knows. I think she was a TP fan herself - she mentioned that her video of "Spark" has a TP vibe to it. (And it does, along with "Children of the Corn" too.)
Oh yeah, that video is amazing! Not to hijack the thread, but I always love me some Tori Amos!
Panapaok
Bookhouse Member

Post by Panapaok »

Agent Earle wrote:
Panapaok wrote:
Interesting that now Lynch leaves the door open for more Peaks. I still want this to be an one-off but we should wait and see first.
Whatever happened to "whatever's good with Lynch"? :)
As for continuity, I wouldn't worry that much. There is this 25 year gap, it's not a direct sequel to S2.
They did kinda make a big deal out of this CONTINUING what came before, back around the time of the announcement. Feel like the words one would use to describe a "direct sequel" to me. And now I'll shut my trap on the subject. At least until we know anything more.
I haven't changed my stance that I want TP to continue only with Lynch at the helm. When I say 'wait and see', I mean to see how this 18 hour movie concludes and if there is space for more story to be told.

And no, this is not a direct sequel. It would be a direct sequel if it picked up a few minutes or hours or days after the finale. That is, if there was a third season back in 1992. Since there is a 25 years long gap, then it's not a direct sequel. I think I made myself quite clear.
Last edited by Panapaok on Wed May 17, 2017 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This is - excuse me - a damn fine cup of coffee.
Venus
RR Diner Member

Post by Venus »

Jonah wrote:I'd love the new series to be a de facto 1991/1992 Season 3 - i.e. what we would have gotten had it been renewed back then. And I want all the cozy stuff along with the darkness. In fact, I'm not thrilled about all the new characters at all - or the idea of much of it being set outside of TP itself. But we're not going to get that. This is going to be a new, very different ride. So we all better set our expectations accordingly - or better yet, have virtually no expectations. That's what I'm aiming for. I know I'll probably love all the stuff that is set in the town - and all the original characters. Not so sure how much I'll love the rest, but going to keep an open mind.
Personally I think it would be a mis-step if they didn't have some of the cosiness and humour but I actually think there will definitely be some of that, at least some of the humour. I think they are too smart not to have that in there.

It's TP V FWWM in comparison and even though it would have been difficult (due to it being a film about a teenager's death and her abuse!), that element was sadly missed in FWWM as the film was an extension of Peaks. I can't imagine Mark Frost especially, not adding this element into the series to balance things up. I'm sure I have heard some of the cast say, in the generic way they are allowed to talk about it, say it was funny.

Just for me personally though I will find it very jarring if there is a lot of swearing. I don't mind swearing, sometimes I swear like a trooper, but despite the bit of swearing in FWWM, for me it is not something I associate with TP and it will throw me for a loop if every other word is the F word. I've found it jarring after watching The Good Wife (no swearing) to trying to watch it's spin off show The Good Fight (swearing). It just seems all wrong and doesn't fit.
When Jupiter and Saturn meet...
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

underthefan wrote:Oh yeah, that video is amazing! Not to hijack the thread, but I always love me some Tori Amos!
From a website - "On the commentary, Tori talks about how the video was inspired by Twin Peaks. It certainly reminds me of Ronette Pulaski, and a lot of stuff from Fire Walk With Me."

It's a shame she's not in the new series. Would have loved to see her in the roadhouse!

She did play a lounge singer once in the movie "Mona Lisa Smile" -

How about we all share Tori Amos videos on this thread while we wait for the new series? :P
secretlettermkr
RR Diner Member

Post by secretlettermkr »

Mordeen wrote:
Wow I lasted exactly 15 seconds before desperately mashing the red X of my browser window. I think my mouse button broke.

-Mordeen
i dont understand what you mean.. :P