NON SPOILERS: Twin Peaks: Season 3 on Showtime Thread

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Re: NO SPOILERS: Twin Peaks Season 3 on Showtime May 21st 2017

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Ross wrote:
mtwentz wrote:
thedougpa wrote:Who else thinks we won't have a title sequence each hour?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
We have actually discussed that issue a few weeks back.

Mr. Reindeer was of the opinion that SAG rules will require a credit sequence for each hour. I am assuming he is right, but I do not know much about the issue myself.

However, I would not be surprised for them handle credits differently than the original series, in one way or another.
They could definitely go the route of no opening credits song/sequence, as most network shows have gone that route. And just put the credits over the opening scenes. Of perhaps put all the credits at the end of each episode? I wonder if that still meets SAG rules?
Certain credits have to be at or near the start of the episode (starring actors, guest stars -- as distinct from featured/costarring actors -- writer, director, certain producers). Breaking Bad got a special dispensation from every union to delay these credits to the start of the second act for the "Ozymandias" episode so as not to interrupt the suspenseful opening sequence.
underthefan
Great Northern Member

Post by underthefan »

Mistertom wrote:I am hoping for a twisted show full of wtf moments personally. For me FWWM is my favorite part of the twin peaks saga. I loveeee that movie so much. I prefer when twin peaks is darker with similar dark comedy thrown in.
My sentiments exactly!
mtsi
RR Diner Member

Re: RE: Re: NO SPOILERS: Twin Peaks Season 3 on Showtime May 21st 2017

Post by mtsi »

Cde. wrote:Lynch organising an NDA for himself as an excuse not to reveal anything is the most Lynch thing ever.
If it doesn't apply to the man at the top, who would feel they have to honor it?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
We live inside a dream.
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:
Ross wrote:
mtwentz wrote:

Mr. Reindeer was of the opinion that SAG rules will require a credit sequence for each hour. I am assuming he is right, but I do not know much about the issue myself.

However, I would not be surprised for them handle credits differently than the original series, in one way or another.
They could definitely go the route of no opening credits song/sequence, as most network shows have gone that route. And just put the credits over the opening scenes. Of perhaps put all the credits at the end of each episode? I wonder if that still meets SAG rules?
Certain credits have to be at or near the start of the episode (starring actors, guest stars -- as distinct from featured/costarring actors -- writer, director, certain producers). Breaking Bad got a special dispensation from every union to delay these credits to the start of the second act for the "Ozymandias" episode so as not to interrupt the suspenseful opening sequence.
Cool thanks for the info. Maybe they will just unfold over the opening scenes. Or who knows? Maybe we will get a new title sequence? I mean the old one was one of its well remembered and iconic aspects.
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
http://twinpeakssoundtrackdesign.blogspot.com/
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

I'd love a full opening title on each episode. It doesn't have to be anything like the original, but there's nothing like a great main title to put you in the mood.
DirkG
RR Diner Member

Post by DirkG »

Mistertom wrote:I am hoping for a twisted show full of wtf moments personally. For me FWWM is my favorite part of the twin peaks saga. I loveeee that movie so much. I prefer when twin peaks is darker with similar dark comedy thrown in.
The darker style of comedy is more to my taste as well. Honestly I didn't find most 'comedic' moments in the original that funny. For example the Bowie scene from FWWM is much more humorous to me with all the 'I got the front desk. He was never here' and everything. BTW comedy in the new show IS very much confirmed, by both Michael Horse and Laura Dern in interviews, so I don't think there is any need for worry.
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:
Ross wrote:
mtwentz wrote:

What about episodes where certain characters are kept secret and therefore the actors are not named? Such as dead characters who come back to life in Game of Thrones or Piper Laurie in season 2 of Twin Peaks? In this new Twin Peaks will we suddenly have 15 people mentioned up front, or is it possible that only Kyle will be mentioned in the first episode? It just seems to me that there are workarounds for actors that are meant to be hidden or surprises, so is it not possible that Lynch could have found many workarounds for the credits? I'd rather not have any credits so it flows like a movie. Just some at the beginning, and then the rest at the end of the 18 hours. I know that's unlikely/impossible, but it's what I'd prefer. Though I do agree with you that a new iconic sequence - or, surreally, the old iconic sequence! - would be great to kick off every episode as it is such a wonderful part of the original show.
Wonderful & Strange
Great Northern Member

Post by Wonderful & Strange »

It seems pretty clear at this point that neither Frost nor Lynch feel like much of the second season is canon, especially what follows Leland's death. It seems they'll keep what they like, and change or ignore what they don't. They are the creators of this world, and I think that's more important than a fan wanting the name Pinkle to be used instead of Winkle.

Personally, I find the idea of canon with fictional worlds counterproductive, counter creative, and ironic.
Member of the Agent Tammy Preston Defense Lodge
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Specific waivers can definitely occur, particularly where "top secret" actors are concerned (Piper Laurie in early season 2 as a prime, and extreme, example), and I think unions are fine with that sort of thing. But I think if they tried to do a mass waiver of everyone, it would be a bit tougher, even if the individuals were on board. Setting a precedent, that sort of thing.
Adolphus
Roadhouse Member

Post by Adolphus »

Continuity? We don't need no stinking continuity.
badges.jpg~c200.jpg
badges.jpg~c200.jpg (14.97 KiB) Viewed 8119 times
Last edited by Adolphus on Wed May 17, 2017 4:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Wonderful & Strange wrote:Personally, I find the idea of canon with fictional worlds counterproductive, counter creative, and ironic.
Speaking as someone who will be happy with pretty much anything DKL decides to do, including renaming characters and creating alternate timelines (so long as it serves a narrative/emotional purpose eventually, a la MD/IE), I completely disagree with this statement. As Tojamura would note, the adherence to fantasy is troubling and unreasonable...or at the very least, pointless. Why are any of us wasting time thinking and talking about Cooper, Harry, Shelly....people who don't exist and never will? Shouldn't we be reading the news or a historical text instead; learning about the world where we actually live our lives? Yet for some reason, investing ourselves in fictional works is satisfying. But part of the pact is that the works make sense -- that they're internally consistent tonally and narratively. That's not counterproductive; it's a prerequisite to an audience suspending disbelief.

As I said, I'm fine with DKL breaking every narrative rule in the book, if that's where his muse takes him and as long as the work sings to my soul. But calling canon inherently countercreative, to me, runs in the face of the very foundation upon which fictional works are based.
Last edited by Mr. Reindeer on Wed May 17, 2017 3:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:I'd love a full opening title on each episode. It doesn't have to be anything like the original, but there's nothing like a great main title to put you in the mood.
I would too but I wonder if there is any chance we will get a cold open, like some shows do. I don't think Lynch has used that much- maybe in On The Air.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

mtwentz wrote:
Mr. Reindeer wrote:I'd love a full opening title on each episode. It doesn't have to be anything like the original, but there's nothing like a great main title to put you in the mood.
I would too but I wonder if there is any chance we will get a cold open, like some shows do. I don't think Lynch has used that much- maybe in On The Air.
Nope -- OtA had a conventional opening title, no cold open. DKL's films, with the exceptions of EH and IE, have pretty much all started with a conventional main title.
Mordeen
Great Northern Member

Post by Mordeen »

If anyone on here knows marchug IRL please ask him kindly on my behalf to check his PMs. I'm trying to clear up a misunderstanding that has us both feeling pretty badly and have no other way to contact him.

Thanks.

-Mordeen
Moving Through Time. . .
Dalai Cooper
RR Diner Member

Post by Dalai Cooper »

I think if mädchen were playing a character other than shelley she would definitely give that away on a talk show, seems like an ace thing to spend several pages arguing about