NON SPOILERS: Twin Peaks: Season 3 on Showtime Thread

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

vicksvapor77
Great Northern Member

Re: NO SPOILERS: Twin Peaks Season 3 on Showtime May 21st 2017

Post by vicksvapor77 »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:
    Ross wrote:
    mtwentz wrote:
    We have actually discussed that issue a few weeks back.

Mr. Reindeer was of the opinion that SAG rules will require a credit sequence for each hour. I am assuming he is right, but I do not know much about the issue myself.

However, I would not be surprised for them handle credits differently than the original series, in one way or another.
    They could definitely go the route of no opening credits song/sequence, as most network shows have gone that route. And just put the credits over the opening scenes. Of perhaps put all the credits at the end of each episode? I wonder if that still meets SAG rules?
    Certain credits have to be at or near the start of the episode (starring actors, guest stars -- as distinct from featured/costarring actors -- writer, director, certain producers). Breaking Bad got a special dispensation from every union to delay these credits to the start of the second act for the "Ozymandias" episode so as not to interrupt the suspenseful opening sequence.
    Is it possible that Kyle will be the only actor billed as "Starring" at the beginning of each part and the rest will be relegated to '"Starring" in the end credits? If only to create suspense and not reveal which actors are in each part before it's over with?

I just watched "13 Reasons Why" and all of their credits, Starring, Guest Starring and Co-Starring, are right in a row at the end of each episode. The only thing at the beginning is a title card. But does that follow SAG rules as a Netflix show? I assume so.
    dud
    RR Diner Member

Post by dud »

madeleineferguson wrote:Based on his NYT photo shoot with Grace Zabriskie, I'm guessing Don Murray has a substantial role. I wonder if he could be playing Dale's father? He kind of looks like Kyle MacLachlan, I think. Murray starred in the film "Bus Stop" opposite Marilyn Monroe, so he already had a peripheral connection to Twin Peaks. I wonder if Murray knows anything about what went on between Monroe and the Kennedys...
    hmm picture with grace zabriskie...maybe sarah palmer remarried?
    vicksvapor77
    Great Northern Member

Post by vicksvapor77 »

dud wrote:
    madeleineferguson wrote:Based on his NYT photo shoot with Grace Zabriskie, I'm guessing Don Murray has a substantial role. I wonder if he could be playing Dale's father? He kind of looks like Kyle MacLachlan, I think. Murray starred in the film "Bus Stop" opposite Marilyn Monroe, so he already had a peripheral connection to Twin Peaks. I wonder if Murray knows anything about what went on between Monroe and the Kennedys...
    hmm picture with grace zabriskie...maybe sarah palmer remarried?
    I highly doubt it. I was curious myself so I looked it up. Grace and Don worked on a TV movie together back in the day so maybe they were just old friends reuniting.
    OneEyedJack
    Roadhouse Member

Post by OneEyedJack »

My fave quote this past day was from Kyle's Hollywood Reporter interview:

But there will be some interesting reveals, I think. Unexpected, too. Which is fun. I'll tell you what has been fun: It's been very fun to read and follow along with people's ideas and thoughts, and what they think they know, and watching that and smiling and going, "Ah, they have no idea what's coming." That's very fun.
    claaa7
    Great Northern Member

Post by claaa7 »

OneEyedJack wrote:My fave quote this past day was from Kyle's Hollywood Reporter interview:

But there will be some interesting reveals, I think. Unexpected, too. Which is fun. I'll tell you what has been fun: It's been very fun to read and follow along with people's ideas and thoughts, and what they think they know, and watching that and smiling and going, "Ah, they have no idea what's coming." That's very fun.
    the good Kyle is on the Dugpa forums and he can't leave, write it in your forum post...
    Kilmoore
    RR Diner Member

Post by Kilmoore »

Ignoring most of S2 is easy. It's been 25 years, who would mention a few days nervous breakdown manifesting in civil war re-enactment after that much time anyway. But if they ignore things like Leland being dead and Cooper seeing BOB in the mirror then it's a reboot and not a revival.
    Venus
    RR Diner Member

Post by Venus »

Yes, I was thinking that this morning. His casting has intrigued me since the cast list was issued. It's either a complete coincidence that they cast him or completely on purpose because of his Marilyn Monroe connection but I'll guess we'll never know. As far as I can tell, Don Murray had pretty much retired for quite a number of years before coming back to star in TP. The Goddess Marilyn project that unfortunately never happened, brought DKL and MF together originally and now they are featuring someone who starred opposite her in one of her most famous movies. I would love to know if they prompted the casting director to get in touch with him or not. It's all probably tangential at best but it's an interesting angle. Maybe I'll ask MF if he ever comes over here to do the cancelled book tour.
    When Jupiter and Saturn meet...
    DirkG
    RR Diner Member

Post by DirkG »

claaa7 wrote:
    OneEyedJack wrote:My fave quote this past day was from Kyle's Hollywood Reporter interview:

the good Kyle is on the Dugpa forums and he can't leave, write it in your forum post...
    I believe the good one is outside and the bad one is here.
    Venus
    RR Diner Member

Post by Venus »

Mordeen wrote:Double down on that bet. Not only do we get one, but the new teaser will show us something truly shocking.

If I'm wrong, I'll stop making my avatar JJW for a while.

-Mordeen
    Yes the timing feels right today as does the need for one massive shock that will generate all sorts of press and get people talking even more than they are now.

Now, we wait.
    When Jupiter and Saturn meet...
    MoondogJR
    RR Diner Member

Post by MoondogJR »

Jerry Horne wrote:Prediction. Those frustrated with the inconsistencies of Mark's novel will be frustrated with certain aspects of the new series.
    I don't know. Frustrated is not the right word, but if the inconsistencies in Frost's novel appear to be nothin more than mistakes, I would at least be a bit dissapointed.
    I don't know why, but I have a feeling if there would be inconsistenties in the tv-show, I probably won't be dissapointed...

I can't explain, but I expect more continuity in books than in tv-shows.

Weird to speculate about this though since we haven't seen anything of the new series yet. We could be completely of base.
    "Your log and I are on the same page."
    ryanmj1993
    Roadhouse Member

Post by ryanmj1993 »

Kilmoore wrote:Ignoring most of S2 is easy. It's been 25 years, who would mention a few days nervous breakdown manifesting in civil war re-enactment after that much time anyway. But if they ignore things like Leland being dead and Cooper seeing BOB in the mirror then it's a reboot and not a revival.
    That would be so disappointing.
    secretlettermkr
    RR Diner Member

Post by secretlettermkr »

The long-awaited return to Twin Peaks isn't a return for some of its stars—it's an introduction. And for Amy Shiels, the only newcomer to appear in every new episode, it's been a long time coming.
    :shock: :shock: :shock:

http://floodmagazine.com/44341/breaking-amy-shiels/
    Last edited by secretlettermkr on Thu May 18, 2017 12:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
    dronerstone
    RR Diner Member

Post by dronerstone »

Been there, done that.
    Agent Earle
    Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

Wonderful & Strange wrote:It seems pretty clear at this point that neither Frost nor Lynch feel like much of the second season is canon, especially what follows Leland's death. It seems they'll keep what they like, and change or ignore what they don't. They are the creators of this world, and I think that's more important than a fan wanting the name Pinkle to be used instead of Winkle.

Personally, I find the idea of canon with fictional worlds counterproductive, counter creative, and ironic.
    That approach/attitude seems like a load of sloppiness to me.
    Judge Giant
    Roadhouse Member

Post by Judge Giant »

Whilst I prefer not to get too involved in this debate, I will say one thing. I like that Twin Peaks doesn't restrict itself to one set-in-stone 'canon' in the way that something like Star Wars does now. Don't get me wrong, I think it works for that, but I like that TP is a little more fluid. In fact, given the nature of the world, it makes some kind of sense to me that it would be like that. Lynch pretty much summed it up when he referred to TSHOTP as Mark's idea of events, but not necessarily his.
    This was a vision, fresh and clear as a mountain stream. The mind revealing itself to itself.

Visit my Lynch blog at https://lynchiantimes.wordpress.com, or follow on twitter https://twitter.com/LynchianTimes