NON SPOILERS: Twin Peaks: Season 3 on Showtime Thread

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

dronerstone
RR Diner Member

Re: NO SPOILERS: Twin Peaks Season 3 on Showtime May 21st 2017

Post by dronerstone »

I'd love to watch the premiere and first few episodes without any bias or prejudice and then see how it unfolds.

That's the only way I can re-enter the world of Twin Peaks with PERFECT COURAGE and decide if I like the new season or not.

That said, I mostly like what Lynch does or has done before, so I certainly trust him as a director/writer/whatever, but we're still entitled to have our OWN opinion of things.
So if I happen to not like it at all, I wouldn't go out of my way to express.
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

There's very little evidence Lynch/Frost do not consider most of the second season canon. A few continuity gaffes in the tie-in book does not a retcon make.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
Panapaok
Bookhouse Member

Post by Panapaok »

N. Needleman wrote:There's very little evidence Lynch/Frost do not consider most of the second season canon. A few continuity gaffes in the tie-in book does not a retcon make.
Yeah. Most of what happened in S2 won't even play out in The Return, not because it's been retconned but because it probably won't be important to the new series. It's 25 years later.
This is - excuse me - a damn fine cup of coffee.
Kilmoore
RR Diner Member

Post by Kilmoore »

Panapaok wrote:
N. Needleman wrote:Yeah. Most of what happened in S2 won't even play out in The Return, not because it's been retconned but because it probably won't be important to the new series. It's 25 years later.
Exactly. And the whole situation with Mike and BOB is cryptic enough that whatever they do, some info is going to be conflicted (when did Mike and BOB killing if BOB has been in Leland for 40 years, did Mike actually shoot BOB like Cooper said, why does a spirit so keen on killing like BOB stay calmly hidden for decades...). We'll just have to see. The reason I'm reading this and joining in is, as I'd guess with everyone else, that I can't get my mind around the fact we're getting new episodes and some steam has to vent, or I'll pop a vein.
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

It's worse than that, homeboy. We probably got at least one more trailer coming at us in the next 10 hours.

(BTW: Anyone who knows to crop and size Sheryl and Grace's faces in that new NYT pic for maximum size avatar would be a god to me.)
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
Panapaok
Bookhouse Member

Post by Panapaok »

This is - excuse me - a damn fine cup of coffee.
DirkG
RR Diner Member

Post by DirkG »

Panapaok wrote:
N. Needleman wrote:There's very little evidence Lynch/Frost do not consider most of the second season canon. A few continuity gaffes in the tie-in book does not a retcon make.
Yeah. Most of what happened in S2 won't even play out in The Return, not because it's been retconned but because it probably won't be important to the new series. It's 25 years later.
Exactly. With Windom Earle's soul annihilated in the BL and with all the players from the Mill/Ghostwood soap dead in the bank explosion (also remember that the original script had Catherine instead of Pete dying there so Frost/Peyton/Engels really went for that definitive angle) what continuity is there even left for them to f*ck up? They almost would have to attempt it in order to manage it.
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

It cracks me the fuck up how many of the cast (old and new) can do a pitch-perfect Lynch impression.
dronerstone
RR Diner Member

Post by dronerstone »

I mean who can't? LOL
still funny tho
WhiteLodge90
RR Diner Member
Location: You're on the path. you don't need to know where it leads. just follow.

Post by WhiteLodge90 »

Two people whom I've grown curious about in the last few days are Mike and Ashley Judd

I know Mike isn't everyone's favorite character (Myself included) But for as much of a ridiculous storlyine as him dating Nadine was I think the change in character actually benefited him and made him more three dimensional. I wonder if Lynch will have him still pinning after Nadine or if that will be completely wiped out. Based on what happened in the final I tend to believe the latter but I'm curious where they go with his character. My guess is like the original he has a very small role but I'm still curious to see where it goes.

Secondly Ashley Judd is a pretty big name we haven't talked about or heard from lately. I know early on it was widely speculated she could be playing Donna but I believe that has since been shot down. Curious to see what size role she has as well.
The milk will get cool on you pretty soon.
Audrey Horne
Lodge Member

Post by Audrey Horne »

DirkG wrote:
Panapaok wrote:
Exactly. With Windom Earle's soul annihilated in the BL and with all the players from the Mill/Ghostwood soap dead in the bank explosion (also remember that the original script had Catherine instead of Pete dying there so Frost/Peyton/Engels really went for that definitive angle) what continuity is there even left for them to f*ck up? They almost would have to attempt it in order to manage it.
Catherine instead of Pete in the bank explosion, not dying. Remember it was a cliffhanger... It is designed to put your characters in peril so you tune in next season. Typically when you kill off your main characters they get something finite and at the end... Maddy, Leland, Josie. The bank was just a more elaborate version of the mill fire or Cooper getting shot. The decision to change it to Pete may have been because his character is more loved. With Pete and Audrey as two of the fan favorites (after Cooper) production was probably just stacking the deck.
God, I love this music. Isn't it too dreamy?
djerdap
RR Diner Member

Post by djerdap »

N. Needleman wrote:It cracks me the fuck up how many of the cast (old and new) can do a pitch-perfect Lynch impression.
Naomi is easily the best one.
https://thirtythreexthree.wordpress.com/ - 33x3: 33 favourite films by 33 directors, 33 favourite books by 33 authors, 33 favourite albums by 33 musicians and 3 favourite TV series
Brad D
Global Moderator

Post by Brad D »

Esselgee wrote:It would be pretty weird to not get a trailer with some dialogue from Cooper. Has there ever been a TV show where the main character didn't speak in any promos before the show ran? But this is TP so...
The last few seasons of Mad Men had no trailer whatsoever.
laughingpinecone
Great Northern Member

Post by laughingpinecone »

dronerstone wrote:I mean who can't? LOL
Gordon's Italian voice actor. (still bitter about that bland dub)
] The gathered are known by their faces of stone.
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Post by Jasper »

N. Needleman wrote:It's worse than that, homeboy. We probably got at least one more trailer coming at us in the next 10 hours.

(BTW: Anyone who knows to crop and size Sheryl and Grace's faces in that new NYT pic for maximum size avatar would be a god to me.)
Hopefully one of these is close to what you have in mind.
21TWINPEAKS2-superJumbo_copy.jpg
21TWINPEAKS2-superJumbo_copy.jpg (16.31 KiB) Viewed 8828 times
21TWINPEAKS2-superJumbo1.jpg
21TWINPEAKS2-superJumbo1.jpg (16.83 KiB) Viewed 8828 times
21TWINPEAKS2-superJumbo_copy4.jpg
21TWINPEAKS2-superJumbo_copy4.jpg (17.22 KiB) Viewed 8828 times
21TWINPEAKS2-superJumbo_copy2.jpg
21TWINPEAKS2-superJumbo_copy2.jpg (18.2 KiB) Viewed 8828 times