NON SPOILERS: Twin Peaks: Season 3 on Showtime Thread

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

thisisme

Re: NO SPOILERS: Twin Peaks Season 3 on Showtime May 21st 2017

Post by thisisme »

eyeboogers wrote:
thisisme wrote:
Rainwater wrote: I certainly hope not. What makes you so very very confident?
Timing, social media hints, song titles, the sound.

The music NEEDS to be modernised for a modern Twin Peaks. It's not 1991.
If you trust Lynch and Frost to have moved with the times, why not Angelo? some of his recent soundtrack work is really great.
Totally agree - No reason why anything he's contributed to the new season won't be great, I just don't think the Season 3 soundtrack will be dominated by Angelo's work.
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

Rainwater wrote:
Spoiler:
We now have this lovely little feature. Don't shy away from using it once the series has started.
Ah nice one! Now I don't have to use super tiny text anymore, like I did when TSHOTP was leaking :)
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
thisisme

Post by thisisme »

Rainwater wrote:
thisisme wrote:
Rainwater wrote: I certainly hope not. What makes you so very very confident?
Timing, social media hints, song titles, the sound.

The music NEEDS to be modernised for a modern Twin Peaks. It's not 1991.
I really don't know what you're trying to convey. Why DOES it need to be modernised so badly, and why, then, is Angelo Badalamenti incapable of it?
Does 'modernisation' amount to simplification, or keeping in touch with current trends in pop-music(which are both just about the same thing, come to think of it)?
The couple of tracks I listened to are not.. bad, but terribly bland compared to Angelo's work, and lacking all the soul. It really feels like a derivation, as others have pointed out. Perhaps Lynch knows how to utilise these tracks well, if they are indeed part of the soundtrack, but I hope the bulk of it is written by AB.
Like with all the new faces in the cast, I feel the music will also see something different.

I don't necessarily disagree with anything anyone has said (other than blandness of the record - I think it's ace) - I just believe this is the direction it went in.
Last edited by thisisme on Fri May 19, 2017 4:41 am, edited 2 times in total.
Venus
RR Diner Member

Post by Venus »

WTF? Michael Portillo and Ed Balls, ex politicians, doing a TP parody. Being British I apologise to all for this :lol:
When Jupiter and Saturn meet...
Specialagentjeffries

Post by Specialagentjeffries »

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk
Metamorphia
RR Diner Member

Post by Metamorphia »

I honestly think Jewel and Badalamenti's music might be about 50/50 featured. I guess just because we've got 18 hours and the format is completely new/unrestricted - it seems like Lynch is pulling together all kinds of talents (just look at the cast list) and it's going to be incredibly eclectic.

Based on nothing, obviously. But I agree lots of the sounds on Jewel's albums sound like they MUST be featured somewhere (outside of Television Snow)
Metamorphia
RR Diner Member

Post by Metamorphia »

I honestly think Jewel and Badalamenti's music might be about 50/50 featured. I guess just because we've got 18 hours and the format is completely new/unrestricted - it seems like Lynch is pulling together all kinds of talents (just look at the cast list) and it's going to be incredibly eclectic.

Based on nothing, obviously. But I agree lots of the sounds on Jewel's albums sound like they MUST be featured somewhere (outside of Television Snow)
Mallard
RR Diner Member

Post by Mallard »

Specialagentjeffries wrote:Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk
"What the h**l did he just say, Albert!?"
Welcome...to the third...place.
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

To summarize what we know about tonight's screening:

1. Cast/crew will not tweet spoilers, because they are under NDA.
2. Critics will not tweet spoilers because they are under a review embargo.
3. Anyone not in category 1 or 2 may tweet whatever they want (?)

It is category 3 that makes me slightly nervous. And I put a question mark because I do not know if that is true, and maybe Cat 3 has also been asked to sign an NDA.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
Brad D
Global Moderator

Post by Brad D »

Maybe the soundtrack will have more artists? The stubborn part of me thinks Angelo should be the only one doing TP music, but it's time to drop all expectations with this. Btw, I hope there is an actual soundtrack in stores this summer.
polishq
RR Diner Member

Post by polishq »

Wonderful & Strange wrote:The Showtime schedule I looked at on sho.com shows Parts 1 and 2 repeating directly after they're first finished playing. There's no listing for 3 and 4 there.
Correct, 3 & 4 will be available on demand only; they don't air on the Showtime TV channel until May 28th.
adl345
RR Diner Member

Post by adl345 »

The more interviews Lynch does, the more frank he's getting. I kind of dig it.

http://tvline.com/2017/05/19/twin-peaks ... vid-lynch/
TV Line: One thing you did release ahead of time was a very lengthy list of all the cast members participating in the revival. Of course, my eyes immediately focused on the names that were missing, like Lara Flynn Boyle. I was a big fan of the Donna character and was disappointed to see that she wouldn’t be in it. Why isn’t she in it?

Lynch: These days people love strange Hollywood side stories that have nothing to do with the film. You can go talk to Lara Flynn Boyle. This is a story that takes place without her.

TV Line: Is there an aspect of the original series you are most proud of?

Lynch: The pilot is the only thing I am particularly, extremely proud of. There were great moments along the way. The second season sucked.

TV Line: How involved was Mark?

Lynch: Mark and I wrote the script together. And that’s it.
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

LOL. I can't be the only one who doesn't think Lynch really feels that way about much of Season 2, at least the pre-reveal half (and possibly some of the back end). He sounds cranky and tired of interviews, it's a hoot.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
Mallard
RR Diner Member

Post by Mallard »

Hmm. I thought I saw pictures of Frost at a number of filming locales during production. Seems like he was maybe a bit more involved than just with the writing.
Welcome...to the third...place.
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

I thought Mordeen said Frost stated he was involved in about 40% of the production. So maybe Frost simply was equating the script with 40% of the production?

I cannot imagine what is going through Lynch's head to say the entire second season sucked. It just sounds to me he's parroting Kimmy Robertson.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly