NON SPOILERS: Twin Peaks: Season 3 on Showtime Thread

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

adl345
RR Diner Member

Re: NO SPOILERS: Twin Peaks Season 3 on Showtime May 21st 2017

Post by adl345 »

Mallard wrote:Hmm. I thought I saw pictures of Frost at a number of filming locales during production. Seems like he was maybe a bit more involved than just with the writing.
Probably depends on how you define "writing". It's not at all unusual for a film have the writer on set, to assist with whatever on-the-fly adjustments become necessary. Is that just part of the standard writing duties, or something more?
Last edited by adl345 on Fri May 19, 2017 6:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kilmoore
RR Diner Member

Post by Kilmoore »

mtwentz wrote: I cannot imagine what is going through Lynch's head to say the entire second season sucked. It just sounds to me he's parroting Kimmy Robertson.
It just sounds like he's completely done with these interviews and just says the shortest thing he can think of.
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

Kilmoore wrote:
mtwentz wrote: I cannot imagine what is going through Lynch's head to say the entire second season sucked. It just sounds to me he's parroting Kimmy Robertson.
It just sounds like he's completely done with these interviews and just says the shortest thing he can think of.
That's probably true- I just hope the negativity did not bleed into the production at any point and this will all be forgotten by Sunday.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
Mordeen
Great Northern Member

Post by Mordeen »

mtwentz wrote:I thought Mordeen said Frost stated he was involved in about 40% of the production. So maybe Frost simply was equating the script with 40% of the production?
Frost was on location for the entirety of the Washington shoots. Perhaps at the other location shoots as well, but I'm not sure. Regardless, he was a lot more involved than just scripting.

As others have said, this is Lynch being Lynch as he grows weary of press and being asked about other people. It seems he fancies modern "journalism" about as much as I do, which is to say, not at all.

-Mordeen
Moving Through Time. . .
Wonderful & Strange
Great Northern Member

Post by Wonderful & Strange »

polishq wrote:
Wonderful & Strange wrote:The Showtime schedule I looked at on sho.com shows Parts 1 and 2 repeating directly after they're first finished playing. There's no listing for 3 and 4 there.
Correct, 3 & 4 will be available on demand only; they don't air on the Showtime TV channel until May 28th.
Thanks for the info, but when I look at the on demand schedule on the same site, there's no listing for the Return at all. So how do we know 3 and 4 will be available?
Member of the Agent Tammy Preston Defense Lodge
indyit
RR Diner Member

Post by indyit »

Yeah I think this is just DKL being a bit grumpy, which is pretty entertaining.

I also thought his quote from the indiewire interview was a bit curious as well.
Okay. When it comes to these new actors, did you already know who you wanted them to play, or did you say, “Hey, I like this actor. I’m going to try to create a character for them”?

Lynch: No, no, no, no. The thing was written, and then you want get the right person for the part. That’s what casting is all about.
He says the above, but we all know he cast a few actors in the original show and created characters for them. He also mentions in the TVLine interview that the whole thing was scripted. We know that with the show many big story elements (including BOB) was improvised/developed following "happy accidents".

I think Lynch will always include "happy accidents" but it doesn't sound like there will be anything quite as big as BOB or the Red Room being improvised and added to this season. It also sounds like there's no equivalent to Shelly Johnson (a character that came about due to the actor rather than vice versa).

Mordeen - you said Frost was there for all Washington shooting, and we have a BTS picture of Frost and Lynch in what looks like a studio set for the FBI office - so I think Frost might have been there for the whole shoot or at least for some of the studio shooting as well. He probably did not interfere with Lynch's process but I can picture him giving input overall or helping actors with the writing etc.

On a slightly unrelated note - I'm getting this sinking feeling that Leo's going to show up as a surprise (at some point). I just don't see how Lynch and his mother wouldn't have convinced him to come for a cameo. Secret cameo! I think an old man Leo could still be pretty terrifying.
mfleite
Roadhouse Member

Post by mfleite »

Mordeen wrote:
mtwentz wrote:I thought Mordeen said Frost stated he was involved in about 40% of the production. So maybe Frost simply was equating the script with 40% of the production?
Frost was on location for the entirety of the Washington shoots. Perhaps at the other location shoots as well, but I'm not sure. Regardless, he was a lot more involved than just scripting.

As others have said, this is Lynch being Lynch as he grows weary of press and being asked about other people. It seems he fancies modern "journalism" about as much as I do, which is to say, not at all.

-Mordeen
He's a much better interview than Bill Belichick I can say that.
adl345
RR Diner Member

Post by adl345 »

I for one hope the interviews keep up. Another few weeks of this and he'll probably start dishing on every single actor or producer that's ever pissed him off.

He's starting to let his persona slip a bit and I want more.
dronerstone
RR Diner Member

Post by dronerstone »

Seems like a totally Lynch thing to do to not only change things up at the spot during filming/production and having "happy accidents" happen, but also going into interviews without thinking too much about them, just letting out whatever crosses his mind. I love that about him. In the end, it doesn't matter a bit! Great stuff these days.

And that particular feeling might be over PURTY PURTY PURTY soon. Or at least be changed to something different after the premiere.
Mistertom
Roadhouse Member

Post by Mistertom »

Ideally I'd like him to not speak that way about the series ... but to each his own .. 2 days I can't wait !
Brad D
Global Moderator

Post by Brad D »

"The second season sucked"? Quite a disingenuous comment, and dismissing a lot of great work from a lot of artists. Pretty unnecessary thing to say.
Metamorphia
RR Diner Member

Post by Metamorphia »

A quarter of it sucks.

But it's strange that he's happy to write off a lot of the great stuff in it - including things he worked on himself.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Are we sure he actually said that? For some reason I can't see Lynch using the word "sucked" - or making that kind of statement. It just doesn't sound like him. :?
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
Mordeen
Great Northern Member

Post by Mordeen »

I'd be willing to bet he was being cheeky just for fun. He's proud of Twin Peaks and has said as much in many different ways.

In a perfect world we wouldn't talk about these lame fluff pieces and focus on the prize, but hey, whatever.

-Mordeen
Moving Through Time. . .
dronerstone
RR Diner Member

Post by dronerstone »

Mordeen wrote:
In a perfect world we wouldn't talk about these lame fluff pieces and focus on the prize, but hey, whatever.
We'll all be able to focus on better things starting this Sunday/Monday fwiw.