NON SPOILERS: Twin Peaks: Season 3 on Showtime Thread

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Re: NO SPOILERS: Twin Peaks Season 3 on Showtime May 21st 2017

Post by LateReg »

That new shot of Cooper is also in a pop up ad or whatever you'd call it that just plays on certain websites. I noticed it yesterday.
sp.agent.dalecooper
Roadhouse Member

Post by sp.agent.dalecooper »

Agent Earle wrote:
Brad D wrote:"The second season sucked"? Quite a disingenuous comment, and dismissing a lot of great work from a lot of artists. Pretty unnecessary thing to say.
Precisely. To see Lynch turn into one of the lazy media bashers which stomped on S2 and belittled it to no end for a quarter of a century is disheartening, to say the least. And for this attitude to burst out on the eve of the premiere of the new series is ... well, let's just say I'm not amused, let alone happy.
That's your issue/opinion and you're entitled to it.

Just as the creator of the world of Twin Peaks is entitled to his opinion on his own work. And I doubt his overall opinion on season two is related to what critics say about it. Nor is it a complete negation of all that happens in season two. We don't even know why Lynch believes season two to be. Does he think it's eps 8-29 or does he think it's post Leland death through 29.

In any event how you choose to feel about it is your call and nothing that David Lynch should be concerned with. And I don't even mean that in a harsh way or in a way designed to make you reconsider.
chromereflectsimage
RR Diner Member

Post by chromereflectsimage »

Jerry Horne wrote:Folks, please use the boards attachment feature to upload photos. Otherwise your post may be deleted.
Sorry about that. I edited it. :)
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

sp.agent.dalecooper wrote:
Agent Earle wrote:
Brad D wrote:"The second season sucked"? Quite a disingenuous comment, and dismissing a lot of great work from a lot of artists. Pretty unnecessary thing to say.
Precisely. To see Lynch turn into one of the lazy media bashers which stomped on S2 and belittled it to no end for a quarter of a century is disheartening, to say the least. And for this attitude to burst out on the eve of the premiere of the new series is ... well, let's just say I'm not amused, let alone happy.
That's your issue/opinion and you're entitled to it.

Just as the creator of the world of Twin Peaks is entitled to his opinion on his own work. And I doubt his overall opinion on season two is related to what critics say about it. Nor is it a complete negation of all that happens in season two. We don't even know why Lynch believes season two to be. Does he think it's eps 8-29 or does he think it's post Leland death through 29.

In any event how you choose to feel about it is your call and nothing that David Lynch should be concerned with. And I don't even mean that in a harsh way or in a way designed to make you reconsider.
Lynch stated he loves Twin Peaks and its world.

Now he's stating a good two thirds of it sucked.

Personally, I do not believe he thought the entire second season sucked. He would not be in love with the world if he thought most of that world was terrible.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

I still don't think the words "Season 2 sucked" sounds like something DKL would say. It just doesn't sound like him! (I've never heard him use words like that.)

In any event, it doesn't matter to my own personal opinion of the show. I don't think people should get so upset about it. Even if he did say it, it was probably just a throwaway remark, hardly taking into account Episode 14, 29, etc. Plus, as someone pointed out, Denise is back - a character that originated in Season 2! - so it shouldn't have any effect on the new series.
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
Venus
RR Diner Member

Post by Venus »

Jerry Horne wrote:
Venus wrote:
Jerry Horne wrote:Tonight.
Do I remember you saying you were going to this Jerry or am I a complete fruit loop?
Nope. Never said such a thing.
That's ok. I must be a fruit loop! No idea what I was remembering! Maybe I have 'Twin Peaks overload'.
When Jupiter and Saturn meet...
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

sp.agent.dalecooper wrote: In any event how you choose to feel about it is your call and nothing that David Lynch should be concerned with. And I don't even mean that in a harsh way or in a way designed to make you reconsider.
So in what way do you mean it, then, or why say it at all? Never mind, it's not something I should be concerned with.
Btw, other members have expressed their feelings about Lynch, his work and his statements, and they did it aplenty - it's what people do on a forum dedicated to Lynch. Do you think every one of those expressions was made in order to get Lynch to care about it? You don't need to bother with an answer.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

mtwentz wrote:Lynch stated he loves Twin Peaks and its world.

Now he's stating a good two thirds of it sucked.

Personally, I do not believe he thought the entire second season sucked. He would not be in love with the world if he thought most of that world was terrible.
I think he means he loves the version of the world that he created and lives in. The TP world that exists in his head (and presumably in the Return), not necessarily the world others built during the original run. He's been very consistent over the years in saying the Pilot is the pure version of the TP world to him (although his recent comments definitely take this to an extreme he hasn't expressed before). Just as he said TSHoTP is Mark's history and DKL has his own, I think he believes a lot of the Frost/Peyton stuff is not part of what he sees as the TP world that he wants to spend time in.
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

I'm really curious: why did Lynch, a S 2 basher and one who was ostracized out of his own show, went to the effort to encourage people to attack the network with their mail in order to save the show from being cancelled? Just for the hang of it, I guess.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:He's been very consistent over the years in saying the Pilot is the pure version of the TP world to him
Weirdly, though, a lot of the stuff he seems to love about TP doesn't exist in the pilot - the Red Room and all the supernatural things. (Unless he means the European version of the pilot. Maybe he means the whole world he started creating during that time.) It seems to me Episodes 2, 8, 9, 14, and 29 are more DKL than the pilot ever was!
Last edited by Jonah on Fri May 19, 2017 11:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
Metamorphia
RR Diner Member

Post by Metamorphia »

Jonah wrote:I still don't think the words "Season 2 sucked" sounds like something DKL would say. It just doesn't sound like him! (I've never heard him use words like that.)

In any event, it doesn't matter to my own personal opinion of the show. I don't think people should get so upset about it. Even if he did say it, it was probably just a throwaway remark, hardly taking into account Episode 14, 29, etc. Plus, as someone pointed out, Denise is back - a character that originated in Season 2! - so it shouldn't have any effect on the new series.
He uses words like that all the time. You should watch some of the more informal documentaries on him e.g. Lynch One/Lynch Two. He definitely said it.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Metamorphia wrote:
Jonah wrote:I still don't think the words "Season 2 sucked" sounds like something DKL would say. It just doesn't sound like him! (I've never heard him use words like that.)

He uses words like that all the time. You should watch some of the more informal documentaries on him e.g. Lynch One/Lynch Two. He definitely said it.
Hmmm, ok. I stand corrected then!
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

Lynch looked really really tired in that interview.
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

Jerry Horne wrote:Lynch looked really really tired in that interview.
Yeah- I think his answers have become more and more curt in these recent interviews. He's probably just tired and weary of interviews.
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
http://twinpeakssoundtrackdesign.blogspot.com/
sp.agent.dalecooper
Roadhouse Member

Post by sp.agent.dalecooper »

None of us can truly know what exactly he meant and how serious he was. But just as there is a complete literal interpretation of his words, there are other interpretations that relate to the mechanics of building and plotting out an entire season of TV. His statement, taken at face value is rather harsh, but again what specifically did he mean? Everything? The pacing? All of the plot. Some of the plots. Some of the directorial choices? And what time frame does he refer to. What does he consider the second season? Pre Leland death. Post Leland death. How much of it is just still bitterness over ABC forcing them reveal a killer?

I don't know. As much as I love Lynch and love knowing what goes on in the mind of the creator/artist, I still ultimately like the work for the work and the work alone. Nothing he says about the second season changes my own opinion and enjoyment of it. I will always enjoy it a lot even as I cringe at some of the specific sub plots, acting, and directing choices.