NON SPOILERS: Twin Peaks: Season 3 on Showtime Thread

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Re: NO SPOILERS: Twin Peaks Season 3 on Showtime May 21st 2017

Post by LateReg »

N. Needleman wrote:Why is Tim Goodman at THR so pissy about the show? Even tonight he's bitching (he wasn't there).
Yeah. Geez, enough already.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Panapaok wrote:Alan Sepinwall is so fucking biased. I already can tell that he will go into it with preconceived notions.
What are you basing that on? I typically find his taste aligns nicely with mine, and his Mad Men and Breaking Bad recaps (in the case of the former, written on the fly due to Weiner's refusal to send screeners) were phenomenal -- often calling attention to subtle callbacks and recurring themes that I hadn't caught. I haven't really been following Sepinwall (or TV/entertainment in general) for the last few months due to my being immersed in a TP/DKL rewatch during most of my free time, so maybe he's been expressing anti-TP sentiments I'm not aware of? But as far as I'm aware, he's a huge fan of the show and of DKL.
secretlettermkr
RR Diner Member

Post by secretlettermkr »

premiere.jpg
premiere.jpg (255.29 KiB) Viewed 9518 times
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

Sepinwall rather glibly suggested TP would likely be "a mess" but fun for Lynch fans, IIRC. But I generally don't mind him. That's not quite as nasty a take as Goodman, who grumbled tonight he couldn't be paid to go to the premiere. We get it, you're posing. Your Hunter S. Thompson cosplay award is in the mail.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

N. Needleman wrote:Sepinwall rather glibly suggested TP would likely be "a mess" but fun for Lynch fans, IIRC. But I generally don't mind him. That's not quite as nasty a take as Goodman, who grumbled tonight he couldn't be paid to go to the premiere. We get it, you're posing. Your Hunter S. Thompson cosplay award is in the mail.
Ack. That's really disappointing; I usually find myself agreeing with him, and he generally has a very thoughtful perspective in my experience. But as a huge fan of all DKL's works (including IE, which many consider "a mess" but I view as a masterpiece), I think Sepinwall's presumption as you expressed it is absurd. Heck, there's a critical consensus (which Sepinwall has joined, as far as I can remember) that every single episode of the original TP which DKL directed is a masterpiece. I don't see any reason to expect anything different this time out.
Rain

Post by Rain »

Newbie here. Hello all.

Can't wait for the show. Love the stage setting from the photo. Thanks for sharing.
OneEyedJack
Roadhouse Member

Post by OneEyedJack »

Photo to cheer Needleman up
Attachments
DAPu-PAVYAARn0K.jpg
DAPu-PAVYAARn0K.jpg (95.48 KiB) Viewed 9471 times
Sidgwick
Roadhouse Member

Post by Sidgwick »

Sepinwall spends just two pages in his book - The Revolution Was Televised - on Twin Peaks, tossing it off as some art house curio scorched before prestige drama started proper with Oz. I was disappointed with his Wikipedia-level whitewash, particularly as his writing was so sharp elsewhere. He credited the X- Files with innovating the concept of mythology in serial television. I got the distinct impression his memories had been tarnished through received wisdom. Little wonder he's relying on it again.
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

N. Needleman wrote:Sepinwall rather glibly suggested TP would likely be "a mess" but fun for Lynch fans, IIRC. But I generally don't mind him. That's not quite as nasty a take as Goodman, who grumbled tonight he couldn't be paid to go to the premiere. We get it, you're posing. Your Hunter S. Thompson cosplay award is in the mail.
Among other things, it sounds to me like Goodman and his circle of friends are being very cynical about the secrecy surrounding the show. Sour and salty because they don't get to review it like everything else rather than being appreciative for the chance to experience this thing totally cold and as a community. Quite a ridiculous stance to take.
happyrat98

Post by happyrat98 »

Rain wrote:Newbie here. Hello all.

Can't wait for the show. Love the stage setting from the photo. Thanks for sharing.
I agree, it's quite a great stage :)
adl345
RR Diner Member

Post by adl345 »

Twitter reactions so far have been surprisingly slim pickings. I'll take that as a sign and stop looking and just watch the premiere cold, like a normal person.
SpookyDollhouse
RR Diner Member

Post by SpookyDollhouse »

LateReg wrote:
Among other things, it sounds to me like Goodman and his circle of friends are being very cynical about the secrecy surrounding the show. Sour and salty because they don't get to review it like everything else rather than being appreciative for the chance to experience this thing totally cold and as a community. Quite a ridiculous stance to take.
It's holier-than-thou hot takes from hotshit reviewers who think their profession means they're owed the privilege to partake in things before everyone else so they can shape the perceptive landscape thanks to them. :lol:

"HOW DARE such secrecy? This is going to flop! Horrible! For shame!"
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

OneEyedJack wrote:Photo to cheer Needleman up
Glorious.

Price Peterson(?) from Vulture is saying it is "difficult" (with heart eyes emoji) and people will be so mad about it, but seems very enthused. I think?
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

DO NOT post false links. Thank you.
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
Ashok
Great Northern Member

Post by Ashok »

I recorded Nightline and uploaded the Twin Peaks segment to Vimeo.

"Whatever happened, happened." -Daniel Faraday