NON SPOILERS: Twin Peaks: Season 3 on Showtime Thread

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Re: NO SPOILERS: Twin Peaks Season 3 on Showtime May 21st 2017

Post by Jasper »

N. Needleman wrote:I personally am expecting patience/endurance tests on par with Senor Droolcup and the bank teller scene very early.

And I'm all for it.
I was shocked and confused when I found out people were tested by Senier Droolcup in the season 2 premiere. It was hilarious and enthralling to me, and it didn't cross my mind that it could be upsetting. So I am definitely for that, and I enjoy Mr. Mibbler as well. I'm actually sort of expecting something significantly more challenging, but I could be completely wrong.

I really do think they want to break the mold again, so I'm expecting a level of adventurousness that we're not used to seeing in premium cable, or even in film (for the most part).

Man oh man, I am excited.
counterpaul
RR Diner Member

Post by counterpaul »

N. Needleman wrote:I'm in an ongoing cold war with the Showtime Anytime app's live streaming. Its quality varies between HQ to shit depending on the breeze. If it doesn't straighten up and fly right come Sunday, no one is safe.
I've had the same experience with the Live TV option, but it looks like Twin Peaks will be available on demand immediately at the same time it begins airing, and the performance of on-demand programming has been much more consistent for me.
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

counterpaul wrote:
N. Needleman wrote:I'm in an ongoing cold war with the Showtime Anytime app's live streaming. Its quality varies between HQ to shit depending on the breeze. If it doesn't straighten up and fly right come Sunday, no one is safe.
I've had the same experience with the Live TV option, but it looks like Twin Peaks will be available on demand immediately at the same time it begins airing, and the performance of on-demand programming has been much more consistent for me.
By On Demand do you mean Showtime's free On Demand for subscribers? Because I'll check that, we'll see.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
Pölkkyrouva
Roadhouse Member

Post by Pölkkyrouva »

Andrea wrote:ps: I've been struggling to decide if waking up at 3AM to watch premiere in real-time or resist til monday evening (european time). Any other euro-area fellows here..? what will you do? I'd have no doubt about fri/sat night, but monday's a work day :(
It's going to be shown (I think) at 4AM here so I've planned to watch it on Monday night instead. It's a bit pain in the ass trying to watch it up here in the North because the sun sets at 11PM and rises at 3AM so it's practically sunny all the time and I'd prefer watching it in the complete darkness. Luckily I don't live in the northern part of the country where the sun is setting next time 22nd July. I know, that's crazy and bee's knees.

I have thought to keep myself busy by baking a cherry pie and going to watch new Alien film before Twin Peaks. Have to keep myself occupied so I can avoid social media and spoilers.
Let a smile be your umbrella. — FBI Regional Bureau Chief Gordon Cole
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

Jasper wrote:
N. Needleman wrote:I personally am expecting patience/endurance tests on par with Senor Droolcup and the bank teller scene very early.

And I'm all for it.
I was shocked and confused when I found out people were tested by Senier Droolcup in the season 2 premiere. It was hilarious and enthralling to me, and it didn't cross my mind that it could be upsetting.
Same for me as a kid. I found it fascinating. As an adult I've always found it hilarious, and even more hilarious that for many it was the point of no return. I could feel the grown-up world getting tenser as I watched it.

I expect stuff that tests me on par with large swaths in Inland Empire - let's just say the long scene with Laura Dern among the homeless on the streets (including Japanese actress Nae Yuuki, who's in the new show) pushed me to close to my breaking point. But I'm good with it.
Last edited by N. Needleman on Sat May 20, 2017 4:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
Rainwater
RR Diner Member

Post by Rainwater »

N. Needleman wrote:I expect stuff that tests me on par with large swaths in Inland Empire - let's just say the long scene with Laura Dern among the homeless on the streets (including Japanese actress Nae Omori?, who's in the new show) pushed me to close to my breaking point. But I'm good with it.
Cool, didn't know she's in it. That scene was indeed a struggle to get through.
Last edited by Rainwater on Sat May 20, 2017 2:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'll see you in the trees
TweetPeak
Roadhouse Member

Post by TweetPeak »

as i am in germany and dont know when exactly Sky will put up 1+2 on demand, i wont get up at 3 am.
they might put it up in the morning instead?
Venus
RR Diner Member

Post by Venus »

secretlettermkr wrote:premiere.jpg
That stage shot is a beautiful thing
When Jupiter and Saturn meet...
ryanmj1993
Roadhouse Member

Post by ryanmj1993 »

Was reading over on the Twin Pekas Reddit page that parts 3&4 won't be available on Amazon prime. You'll have to download the showtime anytime app to see them.
Andrea

Post by Andrea »

still some hours before I decide.. but definitely I should choose a very soft ringtone:
my wife would kill me if I'd wake her up in the middle of the night for such a "frivolous"reason :lol:
Pinky
RR Diner Member

Post by Pinky »

indyit wrote: Andrea - I'm in the UK and I'll be watching it live. Think there's something eerie and cool collectively watching the show live at the same time worldwide where that's the first time so many are watching it. But I've got Monday off. I can see people doing early starts to their Monday by sleeping early and getting up etc. Work in the mornings gonna be ruined though by all the buzz! Or not, I know I wouldn't get anything done!

UK here, too, also booked off work. I couldn't see any way in which going into work after this would, well, work!
counterpaul
RR Diner Member

Post by counterpaul »

N. Needleman wrote: By On Demand do you mean Showtime's free On Demand for subscribers? Because I'll check that, we'll see.
"On Demand" just means navigating to Series, finding Twin Peaks, and then selecting an episode, rather than using the Live TV stream. The quality is generally much better that way.
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

counterpaul wrote:
N. Needleman wrote: By On Demand do you mean Showtime's free On Demand for subscribers? Because I'll check that, we'll see.
"On Demand" just means navigating to Series, finding Twin Peaks, and then selecting an episode, rather than using the Live TV stream. The quality is generally much better that way.
If it goes up simultaneously, I'll do it.
dunkrag
Roadhouse Member

Post by dunkrag »

Are Showtime going to put this on iTunes for Purchase after TX?
I'm guessing not - as there is usually quite a delay before their shows go up - Homeland, BCS etc.. ?
counterpaul
RR Diner Member

Post by counterpaul »

Rainwater wrote:
N. Needleman wrote:I expect stuff that tests me on par with large swaths in Inland Empire - let's just say the long scene with Laura Dern among the homeless on the streets (including Japanese actress Nae Omori?, who's in the new show) pushed me to close to my breaking point. But I'm good with it.
Cool, didn't know she's in it. That scene was indeed a struggle to get through.
A struggle!? That scene is one of my favorite moments in the history of cinema!

I think it may be the most pure distillation of Lynch's uncanny ability to simultaneously juggle genuine, aching pain and downright goofy humor while never allowing either to undercut the other. You're left laughing (and I'm talking pure belly-laughs--not the sort of tender chuckles that can sneak out at the edges of a sad/tender moment) at the same time as you're crying with utter despair and trying unsuccessfully to reconcile these normally contradictory emotional impulses, and you realize that they aren't contradictory at all. Life is absurdly hilarious and genuinely tragic all the time!

It's a marvelous, profound confusion that the very best art demands we recon with.

Man, I have to watch IE before TPTR premieres. IE plus "More Things That Happened" is a good way to help about 4-and-a-half of the excruciating hours between now and Sunday evening go by a little faster.