NON SPOILERS: Twin Peaks: Season 3 on Showtime Thread

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Cooperscoffeecup
RR Diner Member

Re: NO SPOILERS: Twin Peaks Season 3 on Showtime May 21st 2017

Post by Cooperscoffeecup »

According to her twitter feed Sherilyn Fenn is in hospital, which is the reason she missed the premiere.
Metamorphia
RR Diner Member

Post by Metamorphia »

Venus wrote:
Trudy Chelgren wrote:
Judge Giant wrote:

The stuff about it not being on demand until 9pm was before they got parts 3&4 OD at 4am. All four will now be available on demand (I asked and they tweeted me confirming this). I do not know however whether parts 1&2 will be available OD from 2AM, or from 4AM when the live stream is over. I just know all 4 will be on when I get up at 7AM - because that's what I asked!
Thanks! I guess now we'll just have to see what happens. I wish there was just a little more clarity.
Parts 1 and 2 will be available on demand on NOW TV 15 minutes after it starts airing at 2am. NOW TV have said this on their Facebook page in answer to a question on their 15th May post about TP.
Good to know. Guess that's me up all morning!
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

From Reddit: [No spoilers] Any first reactions to the premiere so far?
Just finished speaking with a friend in the industry. He was at the premiere and afterparty. There is a total embargo, so no tweets or anything are allowed. I respected his boundaries, but he did volunteer one piece of information: this is not meant to be easily digestible by a fairweather audience. If you do not have the originals fresh in your memory, it will likely not make any sense whatsoever. Personally I appreciate this approach; keeps the show weird and drives momentum from the core audience outward. However time will tell if I eat my words.
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
Mistertom
Roadhouse Member

Post by Mistertom »

Lesli linka glatter has been replying to me rather frequently so I thought I'd try for a response on twitter lastnight and here ya go !
Attachments
IMG_5806.PNG
IMG_5806.PNG (299.53 KiB) Viewed 9241 times
mine
Roadhouse Member

Post by mine »

chalfont wrote:Kyle saying this is NOT a nostalgia-journey - these are new stories to tell - makes me feel - after all 18 episodes - most people/fans will not really see this as a part of Twin Peaks. Yes, we will revisit known characters, places and stories to a certain grade, but this will be so different from the original show I have a feeling I will not, emoitionally, see this as a coherent part.
Twin Peaks is too complex of a beast for there to be a clear way of predicting how the Return will be perceived relative to the original show and the movie.

That happened with the show and FWWM already. What the later did (without even considering what it didn't touch upon) is, it essentially humanized the show's main plot device to the extreme. This is still something that is never really done because fundamentally it's too uncomfortable to be confronted with the victim's POV. It's off putting and distracting from the plot they're a device off (in the show most characters were relatively apathetic about the murder by the time Laura's funeral was over, as evidenced for example by the scene in the RR where Shelly makes fun of Leland falling on the casket). The whole character side of Twin Peaks has enough strength for it to be a recognizable quality, even on a subconscious level.

What's also interesting about Twin Peaks is while the supernatural (or whatever it is) mythology is never really explained or explicitly made sense of, fans often have fairly precise theories about it with expectations that go with that.
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

If the "difficult" tweet coupled with the reddit comment about needing to have the original fresh in mind are to be taken at face value, I wonder if that means the new show starts off in the red room for a while.
Saturn's child
RR Diner Member

Post by Saturn's child »

Rainwater wrote:
Saturn's child wrote:
Rainwater wrote: Why's that?
I don't know really, haha. Just a general impression I've had from your posts. Evidently not all that accurate. :wink:
I misread your post entirely, sorry. I thought you were saying you would've predicted this being my opinion.
Yours might be an accurate guess, as I think I would typically like that kind of slow, darkly atmospheric scene.. I couldn't very well explain why I feel differently about this one. It wasn't that it left me cold, I remember it evoked a sickly feeling that made me want to see the end of it quickly - I don't know why this particular scene - and, of course, the length of it only amplified the effect. It seems it's been too long since I watched it for me to be able to put it into words successfully.
No need for apology. Interesting to hear your thoughts on it. There's just... I don't know, maybe it's cos I'm an introvert & need it externalised in some way, but it just says something rude & truthful & immediate that I really connect with. Death is a lot like that.
Ashok
Great Northern Member

Post by Ashok »

I captured the live Facebook stream in 720p HD and posted it to Google Drive if anyone needs a direct download link:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B3-a9 ... 3dCWWRiaFU
vlcsnap-2017-05-20-10h22m33s111.jpg
vlcsnap-2017-05-20-10h22m33s111.jpg (160.35 KiB) Viewed 9084 times
"Whatever happened, happened." -Daniel Faraday
Twink Peaks
RR Diner Member

Post by Twink Peaks »

of course my faves hailey and sky didnt make red carpet :(
Saturn's child
RR Diner Member

Post by Saturn's child »

Ashok wrote:I captured the live Facebook stream in 720p HD and posted it to Google Drive if anyone needs a direct download link:
I'll join the choir & register my many thanks for all your uploads Ashok; very much appreciated. :D
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Been wading through the twenty pages that have popped up since I logged off yesterday evening. Theatre for the premiere looked amazing. Still expecting it's going to be more Inland Empire, than Peaks. Are there spoilers floating around yet? I've been avoiding other sites, just this one.
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
Judge Giant
Roadhouse Member

Post by Judge Giant »

Jonah wrote:Been wading through the twenty pages that have popped up since I logged off yesterday evening. Theatre for the premiere looked amazing. Still expecting it's going to be more Inland Empire, than Peaks. Are there spoilers floating around yet? I've been avoiding other sites, just this one.
No spoilers anywhere from what I can see, and I've been all over twitter/fb etc.
This was a vision, fresh and clear as a mountain stream. The mind revealing itself to itself.

Visit my Lynch blog at https://lynchiantimes.wordpress.com, or follow on twitter https://twitter.com/LynchianTimes
Wonderful & Strange
Great Northern Member

Post by Wonderful & Strange »

The tricky thing about critical responses is you have to know what their narrative assumptions and aesthetic values are before taking what they say seriously or not. For example, if they value traditional cause and effect, tight/quick pacing, and generic plot structure, then they probably won't be able to appreciate or praise the new Twin Peaks.

The perfect critic for Twin Peaks is someone who appreciates aesthetic norms being transgressed. Someone who appreciates the sublime effect of mystery, and how that experience is meant to estrange and free the viewer's perception. Someone who appreciates feelings and textures more than overt explanations.

There should be a few critics like that, but I'm hopeful also that the audience is more ready for the Peaks experience this time around. But even then, one of the goals of real art is to disturb people's conventional thinking. So negative reaction is fundamentally a successful reaction for Twin Peaks.
Member of the Agent Tammy Preston Defense Lodge
kitty666cats
RR Diner Member

Post by kitty666cats »

I know this is probably old news, but just to reaffirm:

I talked to Showtime live support and they assured me that, in the USA, Twin Peaks will be available On Demand simultaneously with the live broadcast. Of course, the customer service rep also called it "Twin Peak" so I still have a little blip of uncertainty on my radar, haha :o
gary2381
Roadhouse Member

Post by gary2381 »

PSA: Showtime will air Seasons 1 and 2 tonight beginning at 5pm CDT on SHO2.
Last edited by gary2381 on Sat May 20, 2017 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.