NON SPOILERS: Twin Peaks: Season 3 on Showtime Thread

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Judge Giant
Roadhouse Member

Re: NON SPOILERS: Twin Peaks: Season 3 on Showtime Thread

Post by Judge Giant »

Stunning. Just stunning. So different, yet so Twin Peaks all at once. The weirdest, most original, shocking and captivating thing on TV bar NONE. I have so many thoughts that I'm not even going to try and put them in a single post right now, but all I can say is WOW BOB WOW.

So happy. On a serious high after that.

Nice to see critics liking it overall. I've noticed that a few UK critics did not - but that doesn't surprise me, there's a lot less truly original stuff over here so something like this was always going to shock them. US critics on the other hand seem full of praise, and rightly so.

Most importantly - fans seem to love it, on the whole.

Damn - I feel like I'm in a dream right now.
This was a vision, fresh and clear as a mountain stream. The mind revealing itself to itself.

Visit my Lynch blog at https://lynchiantimes.wordpress.com, or follow on twitter https://twitter.com/LynchianTimes
DirkG
RR Diner Member

Post by DirkG »

GoodMorningAmerica wrote:You guys, I'm an idiot. I just accidentally watched Part 4 before Part 3. I hope David Lynch wasn't joking about watching them out of order. :?
I sort of wish I had watched 4 and then 3 last to finish on a stronger note, so if that's any comfort there's that. I missed Frosts style more in 4 than in 3.

Overall "the return" was not 100% perfect but wayyy good.
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

It is indeed the pure heroin version of David Lynch.
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

Remind me what's to happen with part 5 again? Do we have to wait until June 4th or will it be available on demand after part 3 or 4?
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
Judge Giant
Roadhouse Member

Post by Judge Giant »

Soolsma wrote:Remind me what's to happen with part 5 again? Do we have to wait until June 4th or will it be available on demand after part 3 or 4?
June 4th. No more in-advance on demand eps from now on. 3&4 air next week, followed by one new ep each week after that.
This was a vision, fresh and clear as a mountain stream. The mind revealing itself to itself.

Visit my Lynch blog at https://lynchiantimes.wordpress.com, or follow on twitter https://twitter.com/LynchianTimes
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

Oh no! A two week wait?! This is going to be harder for me than the two weeks before the premiere. :P
MoondogJR
RR Diner Member

Post by MoondogJR »

On one hand I'm gutted that 3 & 4 are not available here. On the other hand, I'm glad I don't have to bridge a two week gap! :?
"Your log and I are on the same page."
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

I'm just gonna keep watching 'em over and over.

And the original show. And FWWM. And MD. etc.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
Judge Giant
Roadhouse Member

Post by Judge Giant »

To me parts 1 & 2 felt like Mulholland Drive, Eraserhead and Twin Peaks in a very large, twisted blender.

That's a very, very good thing by the way :lol:

Did anyone notice how Lynch managed to shoot the most filmed city in the World (NYC) and somehow make it seem unsettling as hell with just one shot and some subtle sound design? The man is just a master.

Melong
RR Diner Member

Post by Melong »

Judge Giant wrote:To me parts 1 & 2 felt like Mulholland Drive, Eraserhead and Twin Peaks in a very large, twisted blender.

Did anyone notice how Lynch managed to shoot the most filmed city in the World (NYC) and somehow make it seem unsettling as hell with just one shot and some subtle sound design? The man is just a master.
Wow, that sounds what I was hoping for! I couldn't resist visiting Dugpa to get an inkling of the mood and reception here.

It's 4PM where I live. First a good meal with a glass of red wine, and then after dark 4 hours of new Twin Peaks!
Rain

Post by Rain »

I am going to watch the first 2 episodes now. Man I hope it's good, both nervous and excited.
Judge Giant
Roadhouse Member

Post by Judge Giant »

Whilst it doesn't really matter too much, I have to say I am happy for Mark and David in that it seems to be going down rather well for both critics and fans. Not every single one, of course, but the majority.

They deserve it.

Calderon
Roadhouse Member

Post by Calderon »

Melong wrote:
Judge Giant wrote:To me parts 1 & 2 felt like Mulholland Drive, Eraserhead and Twin Peaks in a very large, twisted blender.

Wow, that sounds what I was hoping for! I couldn't resist visiting Dugpa to get an inkling of the mood and reception here.

It's 4PM where I live. First a good meal with a glass of red wine, and then after dark 4 hours of new Twin Peaks!
I wouldn't call the first 4 hours dark. There is some darkness in there, but surprisingly for me a lot of lightness and goofiness.
brett

Post by brett »

Has anyone else noticed how much the show takes its time?

I've been thinking about it since watching the parts, and I'm glad it is 18 episodes. Each scene doesn't feel rushed, and there's not this mad sprint to fill it with as much content as needed. It's really refreshing, especially in the era of modern TV. It truly feels like a film from the 60s, 70s, or 80s where every thing is moving at 1/2 speed.

Even though the show has some intense parts, after watching each part I felt calm and dreamy, whereas other shows get me worked up and anxious.
Melong
RR Diner Member

Post by Melong »

Judge Giant wrote:Whilst it doesn't really matter too much, I have to say I am happy for Mark and David in that it seems to be going down rather well for both critics and fans. Not every single one, of course, but the majority.

They deserve it.
A Guardian headline called it tedious and testing if I recall correctly. I then had to come here and see.