NON SPOILERS: Twin Peaks: Season 3 on Showtime Thread

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne, Brad D, Annie

User avatar
MoondogJR
Posts: 260
Joined: Sat Nov 01, 2014 6:13 am
Location: Belgium

Re: NON SPOILERS: Twin Peaks: Season 3 on Showtime Thread

Postby MoondogJR » Mon May 22, 2017 11:04 am

N. Needleman wrote:Ratings are irrelevant, but that doesn't mean I wouldn't like it to do okay so it can do another season if Lynch and Frost decide they'd like one. Or two.


Yep, my thoughts exactly!
"Your log and I are on the same page."
User avatar
madeleineferguson
Posts: 297
Joined: Thu Oct 01, 2015 8:25 am

Re: NON SPOILERS: Twin Peaks: Season 3 on Showtime Thread

Postby madeleineferguson » Mon May 22, 2017 11:05 am

I loved it, I was riveted for all 4 hours. Pure heroin Lynch, indeed. Here's the thing...

Could you judge or understand Mulholland Drive if you only watched 1/5 of it? Nope. We're going to have to watch the box for all 18 hours.
User avatar
Judge Giant
Posts: 62
Joined: Wed May 03, 2017 3:30 am
Contact:

Re: NON SPOILERS: Twin Peaks: Season 3 on Showtime Thread

Postby Judge Giant » Mon May 22, 2017 12:52 pm

For those of you who like to keep an eye on these things, The Return is currently at 96% on Rotten Tomatoes with 24 reviews counted so far...

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/tv/twin_peaks/s03

And on Metacritic, 74 based on the 25 reviews they have counted so far.

http://www.metacritic.com/tv/twin-peaks/season-3?ref=hp

The two sites work slightly differently, hence the difference in score.

Still, both tell the story - critically, Showtime are onto a winner.
This was a vision, fresh and clear as a mountain stream. The mind revealing itself to itself.

Visit my Lynch blog at https://lynchiantimes.wordpress.com, or follow on twitter https://twitter.com/LynchianTimes
DirkG
Posts: 108
Joined: Thu Oct 25, 2007 1:04 pm

Re: NON SPOILERS: Twin Peaks: Season 3 on Showtime Thread

Postby DirkG » Mon May 22, 2017 1:25 pm

Ashok wrote:Absolutely loved the first 4 eps. Without getting into spoilers, I'm rather baffled by some of the negative feedback I've seen. Incomprehensible? The first 4 episodes felt like a direct extension of 'Beyond Life and Death' and FWWM to me. I thought the plot --- despite the weirdness --- was fairly logical and played out like a direct continuation of where the show left off. I feel like some people are shocked this isn't Broadchurch 2.0 except with Kyle, lol. Which wouldn't even make any sense given the show's own backstory.


IMO if anything it was rather bordering on TOO comprehensible. I felt like the Lodge inhabitants were sometimes almost explaining things of the plot and that's not really what they are supposed to do.
User avatar
mtwentz
Posts: 1888
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2015 10:02 am

Re: NON SPOILERS: Twin Peaks: Season 3 on Showtime Thread

Postby mtwentz » Mon May 22, 2017 1:40 pm

Judge Giant wrote:For those of you who like to keep an eye on these things, The Return is currently at 96% on Rotten Tomatoes with 24 reviews counted so far...

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/tv/twin_peaks/s03

And on Metacritic, 74 based on the 25 reviews they have counted so far.

http://www.metacritic.com/tv/twin-peaks/season-3?ref=hp

The two sites work slightly differently, hence the difference in score.

Still, both tell the story - critically, Showtime are onto a winner.


Yes, so far, that's a great sign. I would just add a cautionary note that the critics can turn a dime.

I think although this is a journey that's more important than the destination, a lot is riding on the ultimate destination.
"Dougie is COOPER? How the Hell is this!?"
User avatar
Judge Giant
Posts: 62
Joined: Wed May 03, 2017 3:30 am
Contact:

Re: NON SPOILERS: Twin Peaks: Season 3 on Showtime Thread

Postby Judge Giant » Mon May 22, 2017 1:52 pm

mtwentz wrote:
Judge Giant wrote:For those of you who like to keep an eye on these things, The Return is currently at 96% on Rotten Tomatoes with 24 reviews counted so far...

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/tv/twin_peaks/s03

And on Metacritic, 74 based on the 25 reviews they have counted so far.

http://www.metacritic.com/tv/twin-peaks/season-3?ref=hp

The two sites work slightly differently, hence the difference in score.

Still, both tell the story - critically, Showtime are onto a winner.


Yes, so far, that's a great sign. I would just add a cautionary note that the critics can turn a dime.

I think although this is a journey that's more important than the destination, a lot is riding on the ultimate destination.

Of course, we still have many parts/hours to go. Personally, the thing that matters to me the most is how I feel about it - as it should be. But still, Showtime will be aware of critical reaction on their side, and it's a good start.
This was a vision, fresh and clear as a mountain stream. The mind revealing itself to itself.

Visit my Lynch blog at https://lynchiantimes.wordpress.com, or follow on twitter https://twitter.com/LynchianTimes
User avatar
mtwentz
Posts: 1888
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2015 10:02 am

Re: NON SPOILERS: Twin Peaks: Season 3 on Showtime Thread

Postby mtwentz » Mon May 22, 2017 1:57 pm

Judge Giant wrote:
mtwentz wrote:
Judge Giant wrote:For those of you who like to keep an eye on these things, The Return is currently at 96% on Rotten Tomatoes with 24 reviews counted so far...

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/tv/twin_peaks/s03

And on Metacritic, 74 based on the 25 reviews they have counted so far.

http://www.metacritic.com/tv/twin-peaks/season-3?ref=hp

The two sites work slightly differently, hence the difference in score.

Still, both tell the story - critically, Showtime are onto a winner.


Yes, so far, that's a great sign. I would just add a cautionary note that the critics can turn a dime.

I think although this is a journey that's more important than the destination, a lot is riding on the ultimate destination.

Of course, we still have many parts/hours to go. Personally, the thing that matters to me the most is how I feel about it - as it should be. But still, Showtime will be aware of critical reaction on their side, and it's a good start.


Don't get me wrong- I want this thing to succeed badly. I want Showtime to be rewarded for the risk they took in giving Lynch essentially what we wanted.
"Dougie is COOPER? How the Hell is this!?"
DirkG
Posts: 108
Joined: Thu Oct 25, 2007 1:04 pm

Re: NON SPOILERS: Twin Peaks: Season 3 on Showtime Thread

Postby DirkG » Mon May 22, 2017 2:05 pm

mtwentz wrote:
Judge Giant wrote:
mtwentz wrote:
Yes, so far, that's a great sign. I would just add a cautionary note that the critics can turn a dime.

I think although this is a journey that's more important than the destination, a lot is riding on the ultimate destination.

Of course, we still have many parts/hours to go. Personally, the thing that matters to me the most is how I feel about it - as it should be. But still, Showtime will be aware of critical reaction on their side, and it's a good start.


Don't get me wrong- I want this thing to succeed badly. I want Showtime to be rewarded for the risk they took in giving Lynch essentially what we wanted.


Hear hear. Also there's a selfish aspect to it for me. If this fails financially it doesn't bode well for the future of television. But if it does, it does.
User avatar
Judge Giant
Posts: 62
Joined: Wed May 03, 2017 3:30 am
Contact:

Re: NON SPOILERS: Twin Peaks: Season 3 on Showtime Thread

Postby Judge Giant » Mon May 22, 2017 2:32 pm

DirkG wrote:
mtwentz wrote:
Judge Giant wrote:Of course, we still have many parts/hours to go. Personally, the thing that matters to me the most is how I feel about it - as it should be. But still, Showtime will be aware of critical reaction on their side, and it's a good start.


Don't get me wrong- I want this thing to succeed badly. I want Showtime to be rewarded for the risk they took in giving Lynch essentially what we wanted.


Hear hear. Also there's a selfish aspect to it for me. If this fails financially it doesn't bode well for the future of television. But if it does, it does.

The attitude I'm taking is that I'm just happy we get it at all, and anything beyond that is a big fat bonus.
This was a vision, fresh and clear as a mountain stream. The mind revealing itself to itself.

Visit my Lynch blog at https://lynchiantimes.wordpress.com, or follow on twitter https://twitter.com/LynchianTimes
kafa81
Posts: 104
Joined: Sun May 24, 2015 2:43 am

Re: NON SPOILERS: Twin Peaks: Season 3 on Showtime Thread

Postby kafa81 » Mon May 22, 2017 3:09 pm

N. Needleman wrote:Ratings are irrelevant, but that doesn't mean I wouldn't like it to do okay so it can do another season if Lynch and Frost decide they'd like one. Or two.


Exactly...after watching just the 1st 2 episodes I want another season after this one....Two would be great as well, but at least 1 more....there is absolutely NOTHING like this on TV...I have loved a lot of shows in the last 10-15 years, however none of them are close to this...I'm just waiting for someone to try and copy this and put their own little touch on it :D

Frost said back in the day they wanted to do something new and break down some barriers...well they did...and he said they didn't want to do this again just as some nostalgia act...they wanted to raise the bar....well...bar has been risen imo :D

Can't wait to watch 3 and 4 :)
DirkG
Posts: 108
Joined: Thu Oct 25, 2007 1:04 pm

Re: NON SPOILERS: Twin Peaks: Season 3 on Showtime Thread

Postby DirkG » Mon May 22, 2017 3:28 pm

Judge Giant wrote:
DirkG wrote:
mtwentz wrote:
Don't get me wrong- I want this thing to succeed badly. I want Showtime to be rewarded for the risk they took in giving Lynch essentially what we wanted.


Hear hear. Also there's a selfish aspect to it for me. If this fails financially it doesn't bode well for the future of television. But if it does, it does.

The attitude I'm taking is that I'm just happy we get it at all, and anything beyond that is a big fat bonus.


My point was more television as a whole - future proofing. I don't want there to be no more risk taking at all. I'd rather not want TV to turn into Cape shit show #1 Cape shit show "999999 and Cape shit show# pick one in between.
Skip Bittman
Posts: 93
Joined: Tue Oct 18, 2016 8:30 am

Re: NON SPOILERS: Twin Peaks: Season 3 on Showtime Thread

Postby Skip Bittman » Mon May 22, 2017 4:28 pm

The bar has definitely been raised. This has been my favorite TV experience in decades, as good as 29 and the finale to The Prisoner. Even if Showtime wanted two more seasons, that's going to be a tough challenge to meet!
User avatar
Rudagger
Posts: 326
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2015 6:29 pm

Re: NON SPOILERS: Twin Peaks: Season 3 on Showtime Thread

Postby Rudagger » Mon May 22, 2017 4:50 pm

Anyone know when Sho releases their numbers? Very curious to see the ratings.
User avatar
Jerry Horne
Posts: 4550
Joined: Mon Jan 22, 2007 9:28 pm
Location: Private Portland Airport
Contact:

Re: NON SPOILERS: Twin Peaks: Season 3 on Showtime Thread

Postby Jerry Horne » Mon May 22, 2017 6:26 pm

..."the Twin Peaks premiere is the biggest single-night driver we’ve ever had.” Showtime's David Nevins

‘Twin Peaks’ Fans Streamed To Showtime To Break Signup Record

http://deadline.com/2017/05/twin-peaks- ... 202100511/
Agent327
Posts: 93
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:12 pm

Re: NON SPOILERS: Twin Peaks: Season 3 on Showtime Thread

Postby Agent327 » Mon May 22, 2017 6:54 pm

Panapaok wrote:The ratings will probably get very bad very soon. I can't see how general audiences will stick around.


I think that is absolutely guaranteed.
However, it wont matter much, as loads of people signed up for Showtime just in anticipation, and may stick around for other shows.

Spoiler-free: (After having watched the first 4 hours):

This show is Lynch trolling the world, doing a version of TP that is extremely different from the original in so many ways, much more difficult, a total no-compromise experience for fans of the deeply surreal and avant-garde.
If anyone wants to get an idea of the new series based on the old one, take the slow room service scene from season 2 combined with the red room sequences of the final episode of the original series. Those two become the new standard -set the base tone for the the revival.

I personally can't wait for more. And I can't wait for the many great podcasts to cover it.
It feels slow, deliberately contrarian, artful, in it's own time and place. Like I've said before, we have the classic TP, that one is not going anywhere. It's there to treasure for all time. And this doesn't color my perception of what that was, or any of it's characters. This is more of a super interesting bonus experience, that shouldn't be missed by ANY fans of Lynch, in my opinion.

Return to “General”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 25 guests