NON SPOILERS: Twin Peaks: Season 3 on Showtime Thread

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Re: NON SPOILERS: Twin Peaks: Season 3 on Showtime Thread

Post by Agent Earle »

N. Needleman wrote:
Agent Earle wrote:
N. Needleman wrote:
No.
How come?
I don't think it's very good. Another dime a dozen crime show with a tortured male lead.
Hmmm... Your description could also apply to The Sopranos, I guess. :)
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

I know the long EW red carpet video was posted, but have these been posted yet? They are short but really great!

I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

There's a couple of more good ones here.

I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
TweetPeak
Roadhouse Member

Post by TweetPeak »

Agent Earle wrote:
N. Needleman wrote:Ugh, Ray Donovan.
You don't like Ray Donovan?
I like the facial expressions of Liev Schreiber. He could have played
Wally Brando perfectly.
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

TWINPEAKS.png
TWINPEAKS.png (20.98 KiB) Viewed 11166 times
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
underthefan
Great Northern Member

Post by underthefan »

Agent Earle wrote:
N. Needleman wrote:
Agent Earle wrote:
How come?
I don't think it's very good. Another dime a dozen crime show with a tortured male lead.
Uh, no. Ray Donovan is the poor man's Sopranos. In fact, if you've seen the Sopranos, there is absolutely no need to see a single episode of RD.
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

underthefan wrote:
Agent Earle wrote:
N. Needleman wrote:
Uh, no. Ray Donovan is the poor man's Sopranos. In fact, if you've seen the Sopranos, there is absolutely no need to see a single episode of RD.
Not according to my girlfriend - she's seen and enjoyed every single minute of The Sopranost and she's seen and enjoyed every single minute of Ray Donovan (so far). I never saw the latter one, though I might give it a whirl based on her raving reviews and the fact that I like Jon Voight.
underthefan
Great Northern Member

Post by underthefan »

Agent Earle wrote:
underthefan wrote:
Agent Earle wrote:
Not according to my girlfriend - she's seen and enjoyed every single minute of The Sopranost and she's seen and enjoyed every single minute of Ray Donovan (so far). I never saw the latter one, though I might give it a whirl based on her raving reviews and the fact that I like Jon Voight.
I have only seen Season 2 of RD, but to me it was just a lukewarm retread of much, MUCH better shows, with every stereotype and cliche invariably included in it (like a black villain thug, a tortured white man at the center, the long-suffering wife, stop me when these start sounding familiar...). Though the actors are (mostly) very good, especially Liev and Paula Malcomson, you couldn't pay me to watch another season.
Judge Giant
Roadhouse Member

Post by Judge Giant »

Delighted to see such a great reaction at Cannes - including a lengthy standing ovation. And to see Mark's sweet response on twitter - now could some stop acting as though they've fallen out again? They're fine.
This was a vision, fresh and clear as a mountain stream. The mind revealing itself to itself.

Visit my Lynch blog at https://lynchiantimes.wordpress.com, or follow on twitter https://twitter.com/LynchianTimes
Panapaok
Bookhouse Member

Post by Panapaok »

Judge Giant wrote:Delighted to see such a great reaction at Cannes - including a lengthy standing ovation. And to see Mark's sweet response on twitter - now could some stop acting as though they've fallen out again? They're fine.
Yes. The unfounded and unnecessary speculation that they had a falling-out was starting to bother me.
This is - excuse me - a damn fine cup of coffee.
Dalai Cooper
RR Diner Member

Post by Dalai Cooper »

Re showtime losing money on this due to low ratings meaning less ad revenue: do they get a cut from all that merchandising tat? If so, I'd imagine between that, subs, DVD/BR sales and selling the streaming rights to overseas territories they'll do alright. Plus, yeah, the prestige of having a near-universally celebrated series.
Pölkkyrouva
Roadhouse Member

Post by Pölkkyrouva »

Dalai Cooper wrote:Re showtime losing money on this due to low ratings meaning less ad revenue: do they get a cut from all that merchandising tat? If so, I'd imagine between that, subs, DVD/BR sales and selling the streaming rights to overseas territories they'll do alright. Plus, yeah, the prestige of having a near-universally celebrated series.
Showtime is a cable channel and thus they don't rely on ad revenue. It's subscription fees that count the most and The Return has already got Showtime a bunch of new subscribers, especially On Demand. And it's a huge thing to have a name like Lynch on board, that kind of prestige is likely even more important for Showtime than making money. For a show like Twin Peaks, making money isn't the main objective. Like you said, I bet they'll do allright!
Let a smile be your umbrella. — FBI Regional Bureau Chief Gordon Cole
krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Post by krishnanspace »

Anyone seen this??
mujubuju
Roadhouse Member

Post by mujubuju »

Pölkkyrouva wrote:
Dalai Cooper wrote:Re showtime losing money on this due to low ratings meaning less ad revenue: do they get a cut from all that merchandising tat? If so, I'd imagine between that, subs, DVD/BR sales and selling the streaming rights to overseas territories they'll do alright. Plus, yeah, the prestige of having a near-universally celebrated series.
Showtime is a cable channel and thus they don't rely on ad revenue. It's subscription fees that count the most and The Return has already got Showtime a bunch of new subscribers, especially On Demand. And it's a huge thing to have a name like Lynch on board, that kind of prestige is likely even more important for Showtime than making money. For a show like Twin Peaks, making money isn't the main objective. Like you said, I bet they'll do allright!

Agreed. The model has changed and premium providers care much less about ratings than they do subscriptions now. Once showtime has your money, and the accolades for content that will bring in more subscribers, they don't really care whether you watch it the night of, a month from now, or never. Game of thrones is going to start airing right in the middle of summer, and that would never happen under the old guard.
Twink Peaks
RR Diner Member

Post by Twink Peaks »