NON SPOILERS: Twin Peaks: Season 3 on Showtime Thread

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne, Brad D, Annie

Agent Earle

Re: NON SPOILERS: Twin Peaks: Season 3 on Showtime Thread

Postby Agent Earle » Wed May 24, 2017 10:34 pm

N. Needleman wrote:
Agent Earle wrote:
N. Needleman wrote:
No.

How come?

I don't think it's very good. Another dime a dozen crime show with a tortured male lead.

Hmmm... Your description could also apply to The Sopranos, I guess. :)
Jonah

Postby Jonah » Thu May 25, 2017 12:57 am

I know the long EW red carpet video was posted, but have these been posted yet? They are short but really great!

Jonah

Postby Jonah » Thu May 25, 2017 1:32 am

There's a couple of more good ones here.

TweetPeak

Postby TweetPeak » Thu May 25, 2017 6:43 am

Agent Earle wrote:
N. Needleman wrote:Ugh, Ray Donovan.

You don't like Ray Donovan?

I like the facial expressions of Liev Schreiber. He could have played
Wally Brando perfectly.
Soolsma

Postby Soolsma » Thu May 25, 2017 8:43 am

TWINPEAKS.png
TWINPEAKS.png (20.98 KiB) Viewed 6266 times
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
underthefan

Postby underthefan » Thu May 25, 2017 9:38 am

Agent Earle wrote:
N. Needleman wrote:
Agent Earle wrote:
How come?

I don't think it's very good. Another dime a dozen crime show with a tortured male lead.

Uh, no. Ray Donovan is the poor man's Sopranos. In fact, if you've seen the Sopranos, there is absolutely no need to see a single episode of RD.
Agent Earle

Postby Agent Earle » Thu May 25, 2017 12:30 pm

underthefan wrote:
Agent Earle wrote:
N. Needleman wrote:

Uh, no. Ray Donovan is the poor man's Sopranos. In fact, if you've seen the Sopranos, there is absolutely no need to see a single episode of RD.

Not according to my girlfriend - she's seen and enjoyed every single minute of The Sopranost and she's seen and enjoyed every single minute of Ray Donovan (so far). I never saw the latter one, though I might give it a whirl based on her raving reviews and the fact that I like Jon Voight.
underthefan

Postby underthefan » Thu May 25, 2017 2:00 pm

Agent Earle wrote:
underthefan wrote:
Agent Earle wrote:

Not according to my girlfriend - she's seen and enjoyed every single minute of The Sopranost and she's seen and enjoyed every single minute of Ray Donovan (so far). I never saw the latter one, though I might give it a whirl based on her raving reviews and the fact that I like Jon Voight.

I have only seen Season 2 of RD, but to me it was just a lukewarm retread of much, MUCH better shows, with every stereotype and cliche invariably included in it (like a black villain thug, a tortured white man at the center, the long-suffering wife, stop me when these start sounding familiar...). Though the actors are (mostly) very good, especially Liev and Paula Malcomson, you couldn't pay me to watch another season.
Judge Giant

Postby Judge Giant » Fri May 26, 2017 2:08 am

Delighted to see such a great reaction at Cannes - including a lengthy standing ovation. And to see Mark's sweet response on twitter - now could some stop acting as though they've fallen out again? They're fine.
This was a vision, fresh and clear as a mountain stream. The mind revealing itself to itself.

Visit my Lynch blog at https://lynchiantimes.wordpress.com, or follow on twitter https://twitter.com/LynchianTimes
Panapaok

Postby Panapaok » Fri May 26, 2017 2:13 am

Judge Giant wrote:Delighted to see such a great reaction at Cannes - including a lengthy standing ovation. And to see Mark's sweet response on twitter - now could some stop acting as though they've fallen out again? They're fine.
Yes. The unfounded and unnecessary speculation that they had a falling-out was starting to bother me.
This is - excuse me - a damn fine cup of coffee.
Dalai Cooper

Postby Dalai Cooper » Fri May 26, 2017 3:28 am

Re showtime losing money on this due to low ratings meaning less ad revenue: do they get a cut from all that merchandising tat? If so, I'd imagine between that, subs, DVD/BR sales and selling the streaming rights to overseas territories they'll do alright. Plus, yeah, the prestige of having a near-universally celebrated series.
Pölkkyrouva

Postby Pölkkyrouva » Fri May 26, 2017 4:09 am

Dalai Cooper wrote:Re showtime losing money on this due to low ratings meaning less ad revenue: do they get a cut from all that merchandising tat? If so, I'd imagine between that, subs, DVD/BR sales and selling the streaming rights to overseas territories they'll do alright. Plus, yeah, the prestige of having a near-universally celebrated series.

Showtime is a cable channel and thus they don't rely on ad revenue. It's subscription fees that count the most and The Return has already got Showtime a bunch of new subscribers, especially On Demand. And it's a huge thing to have a name like Lynch on board, that kind of prestige is likely even more important for Showtime than making money. For a show like Twin Peaks, making money isn't the main objective. Like you said, I bet they'll do allright!
Let a smile be your umbrella. — FBI Regional Bureau Chief Gordon Cole
krishnanspace

Postby krishnanspace » Fri May 26, 2017 6:53 am

Anyone seen this??
mujubuju

Postby mujubuju » Fri May 26, 2017 11:34 am

Pölkkyrouva wrote:
Dalai Cooper wrote:Re showtime losing money on this due to low ratings meaning less ad revenue: do they get a cut from all that merchandising tat? If so, I'd imagine between that, subs, DVD/BR sales and selling the streaming rights to overseas territories they'll do alright. Plus, yeah, the prestige of having a near-universally celebrated series.

Showtime is a cable channel and thus they don't rely on ad revenue. It's subscription fees that count the most and The Return has already got Showtime a bunch of new subscribers, especially On Demand. And it's a huge thing to have a name like Lynch on board, that kind of prestige is likely even more important for Showtime than making money. For a show like Twin Peaks, making money isn't the main objective. Like you said, I bet they'll do allright!

Agreed. The model has changed and premium providers care much less about ratings than they do subscriptions now. Once showtime has your money, and the accolades for content that will bring in more subscribers, they don't really care whether you watch it the night of, a month from now, or never. Game of thrones is going to start airing right in the middle of summer, and that would never happen under the old guard.

Return to “General”