NON SPOILERS: Twin Peaks: Season 3 on Showtime Thread

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

dreamshake
RR Diner Member

Re: NON SPOILERS: Twin Peaks: Season 3 on Showtime Thread

Post by dreamshake »

I honestly wouldn't be surprised to see a light increase on streaming and cable numbers this week. Those numbers don't count the actual number of eyeballs and so many fans had viewing parties for the premiere. Ten people watching the show at my house only counts for one streamer.
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

laughingpinecone wrote: And I wonder how weirdness that doesn't have a payoff, weirdness that locks in on discomfort and stays there, is going to be received. Some of us like postmodernism, thankyouverymuch, but how many?
Honestly, my attitude is: Who cares? If people like it they like it, If they don't they don't. Either way it's done and it's all going to air and they've fulfilled their vision. For the moment that is all that matters to me.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
laughingpinecone
Great Northern Member

Post by laughingpinecone »

N. Needleman wrote:
laughingpinecone wrote: And I wonder how weirdness that doesn't have a payoff, weirdness that locks in on discomfort and stays there, is going to be received. Some of us like postmodernism, thankyouverymuch, but how many?
Honestly, my attitude is: Who cares? If people like it they like it, If they don't they don't. Either way it's done and it's all going to air and they've fulfilled their vision. For the moment that is all that matters to me.
80% armchair musings while waiting for pt5, 20% the same reason I was happy to see Lynch get a 5 minutes standing ovation at the premiere. If this keeps being this good, I wish him, Frost and the rest of the gang pleasant critical feedback to the very end! And deserving actors getting better jobs, etc.
] The gathered are known by their faces of stone.
Poltergeist27

Post by Poltergeist27 »

I wonder how strong the ratings are internationally. I know that Twin Peaks is popular in places like Japan but I'm not sure where to check those things for foreign markets though.

Higher foreign ratings means more licensing revenue if they ever want to do another season, which means more incentive for Showtime.
Dalai Cooper
RR Diner Member

Post by Dalai Cooper »

Metamorphia wrote:
Gabriel wrote:New Twin Peaks practically defines postmodernism: let's remove all the craft; the meticulous framing, colour grading, coherent editing, competent performances and coherent pacing and see if it's still art... It's a fun show, but it looks like it was made by fanboys who had 50 quid, a stolen Arri and a bunch of compromising photographs of cast members to force them to appear in it!
Oh come on. You don't help yourself with this nonsense, Gabriel.
Yeah I get a kick out of these fogeyish flights of fancy but it's like the claim that mulholland drive isn't a film & lynch isn't a filmmaker: cool opinion but we should acknowledge that it's a wacky outlier; md was just voted the greatest film of the century so far and lynch is one of the most acclaimed & beloved directors working, and not just among onion-eating beret-sniffers or whatever the sub-crap redtop columnist turn of phrase was.

As to the general topic, because I'm personally enjoying the show I haven't felt much need to posit a casual viewer or an new viewer or one who's never seen anything ever and start losing sleep over how they'll get on with the new season of twin peaks. It seems to me to have found its audience, but I'm with needleman: all I really care about is that it's finished, and it's great.
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

Poltergeist27 wrote:I wonder how strong the ratings are internationally. I know that Twin Peaks is popular in places like Japan but I'm not sure where to check those things for foreign markets though.

Higher foreign ratings means more licensing revenue if they ever want to do another season, which means more incentive for Showtime.
I do not believe it will air in Japan until July, unfortunately.

Have not heard anything about other countries. Maybe us Peakers should form our own country, carve out a niche in the state of Washington?
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Post by krishnanspace »

Someone called Megan sent me a Dale Cooper Funko figure.Dont even know who that is :D
Pinky
RR Diner Member

Post by Pinky »

It's everything I ever could have wanted from the return of TP, i'm feeling very lucky right now.
I was always more of a fan of the FBI/Blue Rose/Briggs UFO aspect of the show, and the Jeffries and Desmond stuff in FWWM was even better, so I was pretty confident I was going to like at least some of it when I heard that FWWM was of importance to the new season, instead of being ignored. I do miss elements of using film but the digital look seems to work very well. Some of the Dougie scenes began slightly to grate, but I put that down to ODing on the four episodes with almost two days without sleep; everything improved on subsequent viewings. All i'm worried about now is how it will all be tied up, if there is a possibility of more seasons to come. Trying to cover both possibilities seems like asking for trouble. I hope it's all just stringing us along so as not to tip us off as to the finality of this season. I wouldn't be surprised if the whole thing is wrapped up completely by the last episode. If they're anywhere near as good as what we've had....wow.
BMS242
Roadhouse Member

Post by BMS242 »

While I have to admit the live numbers are pretty dismal, I agree with those stating that subscriptions and streams are probably more important to Showtime, and those numbers are much tougher for the public to come by. (The unorthodox method of release definitely screwed up live ratings for 3 and 4 as well.)

Anyway, while I am initially inclined to not care about whether it's a hit or not (I'm going to get my TP fix no matter what), in some ways I'd like it to be a success for Showtime given that they clearly took a leap of faith by giving Lynch a large budget and carte blanche with the project. (Anyone paying attention to his work since TP had to know he was going to turn in something much more challenging than the original series.)

Between the new subscription claims, sales of international rights, and initial critical acclaim, my guess is that they will have found it worth their while. However, I do question whether itll be enough for them to sign up for anything more (at least something of this size and scope). Despite the initial critical acclaim (which could also wane), I really wonder if general audiences are going to stay on board for 18 episodes of this, given how out there this has been thus far.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

Looks like Showtime just threw Part 1 up on YouTube for free.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

Showtime just uploaded Parts 1 & 2 on YouTube.

RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
The Jumping Man
RR Diner Member

Post by The Jumping Man »

Showtime has a TV-14 version of Part 1 edited by David Lynch up on their Facebook page.

(cross-post)
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

The Jumping Man wrote:Showtime has a TV-14 version of Part 1 edited by David Lynch up on their Facebook page.

(cross-post)
yep, the four letter words have been edited out :-)
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
Metamorphia
RR Diner Member

Post by Metamorphia »

And nudity censored with black boxes!!
Ashok
Great Northern Member

Post by Ashok »

mtwentz wrote:Looks like Showtime just threw Part 1 up on YouTube for free.
Weird, looks like the TV-14 version of the episodes were removed from YouTube and FB? Anyone save these because I have some friends that would prefer to watch the TV-14 versions.
"Whatever happened, happened." -Daniel Faraday