NON SPOILERS: Twin Peaks: Season 3 on Showtime Thread

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

laughingpinecone
Great Northern Member

Re: NO SPOILERS: Twin Peaks Season 3 on Showtime May 21st 2017

Post by laughingpinecone »

mtwentz wrote:
Rainwater wrote:
Ross wrote:I still wish they weren't dropping 4 episodes on day one.
I agree, but maybe there's a good reason for it.
My uneducated guess is that there is a big cliffhanger at the end of the second hour, plus they want to give a small hat tip to the 'bingers'.
I agree with all of you - my main one is "slow beginning". You know how the usual suggestion to new viewers baffled by the pilot is to keep going for two more episodes before deciding whether to quit? Maybe they're giving newcomers a clearer direction, maybe the first two hours aren't enough to see where this is going.

It's gonna start at 3AM over here but I don't care, I'm gonna watch them all.
] The gathered are known by their faces of stone.
Rainwater
RR Diner Member

Post by Rainwater »

mtwentz wrote:
Rainwater wrote:
My uneducated guess is that there is a big cliffhanger at the end of the second hour, plus they want to give a small hat tip to the 'bingers'.
Maybe. Or maybe the first hours serve as an extended prologue, and are somehow distinct from the rest of it.
I'll see you in the trees
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

Maybe it's as simple as critics getting the first four episodes?
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
http://twinpeakssoundtrackdesign.blogspot.com/
Dead Dog
RR Diner Member

Post by Dead Dog »

I don't really know many TP fans personally. So I think I can space them out over a few days and just avoid the internet during that time. Will keep me out of FB arguments for a few days as well.
Snailhead
Great Northern Member

Post by Snailhead »

laughingpinecone wrote: I agree with all of you - my main one is "slow beginning". You know how the usual suggestion to new viewers baffled by the pilot is to keep going for two more episodes before deciding whether to quit? Maybe they're giving newcomers a clearer direction, maybe the first two hours aren't enough to see where this is going.
You know that's not a bad point. Also, maybe the first 4 hours together have a full arc of some sort?
baxter
Great Northern Member

Post by baxter »

Wasn't there a quote from Mark Frost saying something like they spent ages writing the first 90 minutes, then moved on to the rest? So maybe that first 90 minutes solves the problem of how to bring new viewers in and sets up the new story context and threads, then it moves on from there. I think it's pretty likely that there is a huge cliffhanger at the end of the 4th episode.
REdKing
Roadhouse Member

Post by REdKing »

I am also taking that Monday of the 22nd off. My wife and I have been having a re-watch with friends who are complete new-comers to the show.
I'm putting together a decent little watch party for the 2-hour premiere, but I was told beyond negotiation that we could wait until Monday night to enjoy parts 3 and 4 together and without the extra company. My watch group is on their own after the premiere.
The reason I'm taking Monday off is to enjoy my meditation on the new material. I'm probably going to need to spend some time typing out my thoughts, not to mention any association I start getting relating back to The Secret History. That said, it has to be Monday night for me. There is no way I'll be able to wait under the threat of spoilers longer than that. But let me say that I have quite a bit of faith in the fan community not to over-spoil parts 3-4 too soon.
I'll certainly be participating in the spoilers forum when that time comes. Four hours at once, though, after even my two decades of fandom? No way. Initially, I absolutely wanted to, convinced myself, but given some calm. I can be cool for at least a day before coming back here to you all.
Aerozhul
RR Diner Member

Post by Aerozhul »

Mistertom wrote:So who plans on watching the first four hours all in a row on 5/21 ? I am hunkering down shutting everything off and just going in. I also have Monday the 22nd off and plan on making some breakfast and diving right back in at the beginning . Ideally I'll get through all four hours twice on Monday for a total of three binge sessions :-P cannot wait !
I will watch the first four hours all in one binge. So many of you feel guilty about this, but why? If David Lynch and Mark Frost didn't want us to watch it that way, it wouldn't be available to do so. The first four hours are intended to be watched this way, and that's what I'm going to do. : )
Snailhead
Great Northern Member

Post by Snailhead »

I'm seriously considering booking the monday off work... I think I've lost it!
Qubism
Roadhouse Member
Location: Another Place - Where we're from, the birds sing a pretty song and there's always music in the air.

Post by Qubism »

Hmmmmm......
Never been a binger, but the closest I've got to it is watching something in just the last few weeks. I only just discovered Guillermo Del Toro's The Strain. I totally missed it first time round in the UK and found W channel were putting one episode on every night. like 7 days a week. If I worked a few days I often had about 3 episodes to catch up on. So that is my binging experience just to keep up!

On the other hand we have Fortitude Season 2 being broadcast one ep per week, but all 10 eps are available on demand from Sky Atlantic. I love the show but I haven't felt the urge to do a 10 hour binge! When does anyone have the time if we have jobs???!!!
To be honest, I might have binged Fortitude maybe 2 eps at a time but I think I've been a bit occupied with The Strain.

As for the potential 4 hour initial TP3 binge, If it is defo available thru Sky Atlantic, I probably will do it wether I'm working or not!

I only just got going with my TP grand rewatch. I started with my first ever viewing of Q2's 4 hour fan edit of FWWM and loved every minute of it so I think I'll have no problem binging the 1st 4 hours of S3! I have since watched the pilot the very next day and it was great to see them in quick ish succession!

For everyone wondering if the new series will be Lost Highway bordering on Inland Empire, I don't think so. I'm sure that somewhere Lynch did say the Pilot and the film are the thing for him and having just rewatched them both, I don't think there will be many people disappointed :-)
SpookyDollhouse
RR Diner Member

Post by SpookyDollhouse »

I plan on watching the first two the night they air, then #3 the next day and #4 after that. Spaces it out a wee bit to take it all in.
Mr. Jackpots
RR Diner Member

Post by Mr. Jackpots »

I will probably watch the premiere on Sunday night. And episodes 3 and 4 on Monday. I would hope in the future they will move towards a slower reveal. And release the episodes one a week instead of in blocks of 4. To allow time to absorb, contemplate, speculate, and revel in the mystery.
marchug
RR Diner Member
Location: Where the birds sing a pretty song and there's always music in the air.

Post by marchug »

Rainwater wrote:
That 'good reason' being to sell more Showtime subscriptions? It seems that they are only showing two episodes if you aren't subscribed (or like me - moved from the USA to Canada and haven't quite figured out how/what I am supposed to do). So that seems like there being a 'good reason' is pretty much the farthest thing from the real motivation. Sadly. :(
-23-
Mr. Jackpots
RR Diner Member

Post by Mr. Jackpots »

I'm in Canada. And I believe the subscription service Crave tv will be carrying the show. It's $7.99 a month. And 1 free month for new subscribers.
madeleineferguson
RR Diner Member

Post by madeleineferguson »

I think if Lynch/Frost did not want the first four hours of Twin Peaks released at the same time, Showtime would respect their wishes. There's a definite reason that four hours are being released at once, and I think once they're out, we'll understand.