NON SPOILERS: Twin Peaks: Season 3 on Showtime Thread

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Re: NO SPOILERS: Twin Peaks Season 3 on Showtime May 21st 2017

Post by N. Needleman »

mujubuju wrote:Can I just say how thankful I am that Dugpa decided to axe the spoilers? I doubt I would've had the restraint to avoid that thread. But now, I'm sitting here seeing the clock count down to 39 days remaining, and still have absolutely no clue what's going to take place. That is a real treat.
Uh, to be fair, even those of us who frequented the thread still have mostly no idea.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
CuriousWoman
Roadhouse Member

Post by CuriousWoman »

indyit wrote:Hey do we know whether Maddy was related to Laura via Sarah or Leland? Depending on which, we might see doppelganger shenanigans with either Wise or Zabriskie playing a parent. Having both play them would be quite weird... but possible!
According to the Secret History of Twin Peaks, Leland had no siblings. Consequently, if we trust the book, Sarah is the one blood related to Maddy.
Henrys Hair
RR Diner Member

Post by Henrys Hair »

CuriousWoman wrote:
indyit wrote:Hey do we know whether Maddy was related to Laura via Sarah or Leland? Depending on which, we might see doppelganger shenanigans with either Wise or Zabriskie playing a parent. Having both play them would be quite weird... but possible!
According to the Secret History of Twin Peaks, Leland had no siblings. Consequently, if we trust the book, Sarah is the one blood related to Maddy.
I've always been under the impression that Maddy's mum is Sarah's sister. I'm not sure if it's made explicit, but the Secret Diary and one of Maddy's scenes in the show seemed to hint at this being the case.
mujubuju
Roadhouse Member

Post by mujubuju »

N. Needleman wrote:
mujubuju wrote:Can I just say how thankful I am that Dugpa decided to axe the spoilers? I doubt I would've had the restraint to avoid that thread. But now, I'm sitting here seeing the clock count down to 39 days remaining, and still have absolutely no clue what's going to take place. That is a real treat.
Uh, to be fair, even those of us who frequented the thread still have mostly no idea.
That's a pretty incredible accomplishment in this day and age to keep even the spoiler-hungry crowd in the dark this close to the premiere.
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

N. Needleman wrote:
Agreed. I certainly feel like I know next to nothing about S3, and I read the spoiler thread. Of course I saw people complaining that the EW pics were spoilers(!) so I guess it depends on what people actually consider spoilers.
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
http://twinpeakssoundtrackdesign.blogspot.com/
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

Ross wrote:Of course I saw people complaining that the EW pics were spoilers(!).
Ugh, whatever.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

God, this holier-than-thou attitude towards what's considered as a spoiler that has developed due to the whole KEEP THE MYSTERY ALIVE!# business is annoying as hell.

Like, one practically can't say "Agent Cooper" anymore without 10 Internet people going through the roof, pointing at him and bellowing "Spoileeeeer!!!"
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

Agent Earle wrote:God, this holier-than-thou attitude towards what's considered as a spoiler that has developed due to the whole KEEP THE MYSTERY ALIVE!# business is annoying as hell.

Like, one practically can't say "Agent Cooper" anymore without 10 Internet people going through the roof, pointing at him and bellowing "Spoileeeeer!!!"
I gotta agree. I couldn't believe how many people were complaining about the EW pics of all thing!
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
JordinGoff
Roadhouse Member

Post by JordinGoff »

I remember accidentally reading about REDACTED and REDACTED walking towards REDACTED, which I guess was seen in set photos, and really wishing I hadn't. I saw it outside of the spoiler thread too. I guess mileage varies pretty heavily on what constitutes a spoiler though, to each their own. I suppose I'm still in the camp that anything not officially released and approved by the creators is something I would prefer to see in the context of the show. Happy to even be having this conversation though :) 39 Days!!
Last edited by JordinGoff on Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

I just respect this site so much - and the posters on this site - for allowing those of us who don't want spoilers to converse about the show without fear. If I had it my way, I wouldn't have seen a single thing. But anything officially released I will gobble up! Which is why I'm also so glad that there are no trailers. I think it is A. totally uniquely unprecedented, B. fits David Lynch's secrecy so much (it's how he wants it, why should we want it any other way?), and C. will lead to a better, purer experience with the show. I think the lack of spoilers and trailers is just the best way to go, and it's wonderful. I know we all want to see the little things to both suppress our salivation and get us salivating more, but just imagine getting to see this thing without knowing a single thing about it...which is practically the case. So I hope I'm not being holier-than-thou in my attitude; I simply think it's unnecessary to get a trailer at this point, and that the viewing experience will be better without one. And what balls!
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

I think even the things we've seen/heard that we think of as slight spoilers will be very minor in the grand scheme of things. There are Eighteen hours, and we don't even know what the plot involves.
Jaipeur

Post by Jaipeur »

Honestly, anecdotes were enough for me. Signs warning of "dramatic screaming," strobe lights in the woods... <3 <3 <3

Being so close to the premiere and still not knowing... basically anything... is its own thrill. Imagining the curtain rise on 4 new hours of Twin Peaks on May 21 is enough to sustain me.
Mordeen
Great Northern Member

Post by Mordeen »

I miss the spoiler thread. All of the incoherent nuggets, be they pics from locations, character names or small chunks of dialogue were a big part of hyping it up for me; wondering how it all fit in and letting my imagination run wild. Made quite a few real life friends from it as well, through correspondence and real world cloak and dagger style meet ups both in Washington and L.A.

For me it all lends to the overall joy of The Return.

-Mordeen
Last edited by Mordeen on Wed Apr 12, 2017 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Moving Through Time. . .
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

Mordeen wrote:I miss the spoiler thread. All of the incoherent nuggets, be they pics from locations, character names or small chunks of dialogue we a big part of hyping it up for me; wondering how it all fit in and letting my imagination run wild. Made quite a few real life friends from it as well, through correspondence and real world cloak and dagger style meet ups both in Washington and L.A.

For me it all lends to the overall joy of The Return.

-Mordeen
I have no doubt that the experience of waiting has been far more fulfilling for those who navigated the spoiler thread, no doubt about it, and I know I missed out on some fun times. But I have an honest question. If given the choice between watching this thing with everything you know, or erasing your memory and watching it without knowing a single thing, which do you think you'd prefer? For me it would always be the latter, and I admit I'm a little flummoxed by those who would choose the former. I can't imagine someone ever saying "I wish I HAD known that going in!" but I know a lot of folks in regard to films past who have said "I wish I HADN'T known that!" But that, to me, is the trade off. You have a better time waiting for the thing to come out by delving into spoilers and just hope you don't get too much...but portions of the main event may be less surprising as a result.
John Justice Wheeler
RR Diner Member

Post by John Justice Wheeler »

Well, then there are those of us who don't have Showtime and are unlikely to get Showtime for various reasons and are also unlikely to be able to avoid the sure to be thorough spoilers once the series is released, in which case all of it will be spoiled which somehow seems like the ultimate and appropriate black comic perversity. But anyway, I have read scripts in advance of upcoming feature films for many years and have never been bothered by that and find that it actually can enhance the experience as the viewing of it is always different from reading about it or getting someone else's take on it.