NON SPOILERS: Twin Peaks: Season 3 on Showtime Thread

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Ross
Global Moderator

Re: NO SPOILERS: Twin Peaks Season 3 on Showtime May 21st 2017

Post by Ross »

Panapaok wrote:
Ross wrote:
ForKeeps wrote:Huh, that's right. It never occurred to me that Duchovny never actually got to work with Lynch in any of his episodes.
And I believe he's the only returning actor not to have been in a Lynch episode, correct?
Bellina Logan and Matt Battaglia also didn't appear in Lynch-directed episodes.
True. Although who knows if those two will even be the same characters.
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
http://twinpeakssoundtrackdesign.blogspot.com/
Panapaok
Bookhouse Member

Post by Panapaok »

Ross wrote:
Panapaok wrote:
Ross wrote: And I believe he's the only returning actor not to have been in a Lynch episode, correct?
True. Although who knows if those two will even be the same characters.
Yeah. Matt Battaglia is probably playing a different character. I can't imagine how and why they'd bring that moron cop back. :P I really hope that Bellina is playing Louie, though.
This is - excuse me - a damn fine cup of coffee.
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

Panapaok wrote:Yeah. Matt Battaglia is probably playing a different character. I can't imagine how and why they'd bring that moron cop back. :P I really hope that Bellina is playing Louie, though.
Agreed on both.
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
http://twinpeakssoundtrackdesign.blogspot.com/
Adolphus
Roadhouse Member

Post by Adolphus »

mtwentz wrote:This whole discussion makes me wonder if 'Season 3:' will start out with a 'Previously on Twin Peaks...'
:lol:
secretlettermkr
RR Diner Member

Post by secretlettermkr »

Rainwater wrote:
Snailhead wrote:
Dead Dog wrote: I get that and agree to a certain degree. But the vast majority of IE is a bleak, crystalline nightmare. While MD has more instances of humor and tenderness sprinkled throughout, despite its soul crushing final scene. My point is, when I watch IE I don't feel like I'm watching something spiritual. It seems more daemonic, like madness. It isn't until the final few minutes that any kind of positivity enters the equation for me. Don't really know what I'm getting at now, just rambling because I enjoy discussing Lynch's work.
You know, that's a pretty good point, however - who's to say daemonic madness cannot be spiritual ?
I'd say, what else would it be if not spiritual?
I was referring to the "devoid of hope" part... as I allready said, INLAND EMPIRE its full of hope
Rudagger
RR Diner Member

Post by Rudagger »

I agree that you'll probably be able to watch Season 3 without seeing the other two, and a lot of that is marketability, but, also just narrative design. 25 years have passed in the story, so, it's pretty natural that things will be re-explained by characters who ask the same questions the audience might. That is to say, I'd be shocked if there wasn't a scene that explained what happened to Laura Palmer and who killed her, that sort of thing.

Stuff like the Good/Bad Dale seems like stuff that would naturally play into an audiences confusion anyway (i.e., newcomers: "I thought he was supposed to be the good guy, why is he acting so strange, along side other people who knew him before he 'went mad' or whatever happens in the story).

And then there's minor background stuff that can happen in the story (Nadine/Ed) that really doesn't need explaining because it's not hard to figure out the context, and also a lot of their backstory is sort of inconsequential to any main plot (you really don't need all the small details and swerves of the first two seasons to understand this weird one-sided marriage and love triangle).

I imagine someone, probably an outsider, will act as an audience surrogate for at least an episode or two in order to help orient the audiences (in a similar fashion to Harry explaining a lot of the townsfolk to Coop in the first few episodes of the original run). Whether that's someone like TP from the novel, or, whoever.
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

I'd pay money for the show to open with a 'Previously' with the old music and voiceover and cutting and everything as though the show was last on four months ago. It would be so absurd. I'd love it.

And BTW, if they don't do it SOMEONE needs to before 5/21.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

N. Needleman wrote:I'd pay money for the show to open with a 'Previously' with the old music and voiceover and cutting and everything as though the show was last on four months ago. It would be so absurd. I'd love it.

I've always envisioned it happening that way. It would be so surreal.
JordinGoff
Roadhouse Member

Post by JordinGoff »

N. Needleman wrote:Pretty sure I ran across Sky Ferreira at a midnight screening of The Hitcher the other day here in L.A. I restrained myself from approaching and attempting to interrogate her about the show like a psycho.
That is one of my all time favorite films! So damn atmospheric, and the score is incredible! :D
madeleineferguson
RR Diner Member

Post by madeleineferguson »

N. Needleman wrote:I'd pay money for the show to open with a 'Previously' with the old music and voiceover and cutting and everything as though the show was last on four months ago. It would be so absurd. I'd love it.

YES!

I'm hopeful that Lynch and/or his team will put together stylized "next on Twin Peaks" promos that are reminiscent of the original ones.
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

Words cannot express how pissed I am that I missed this. It's like twenty minutes away.

I was planning to go to another FWWM screening at the American Cinematheque theaters at the end of February, but I didn't know about this one and I probably wouldn't have gone given that I could go later. I guess I'll pray Sheryl (or Gary) shows up again.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

madeleineferguson wrote:

YES!

I'm hopeful that Lynch and/or his team will put together stylized "next on Twin Peaks" promos that are reminiscent of the original ones.
I am 99% certain they won't - and who would, it's ridiculous - but some devoted fan definitely should do a "previously on/last time" bit as a gag before the premiere. It's not like we don't have audio of Kyle or Kimmy or whoever recording that.
Silencio

Post by Silencio »

Panapaok wrote:
Ross wrote:
ForKeeps wrote:Huh, that's right. It never occurred to me that Duchovny never actually got to work with Lynch in any of his episodes.
And I believe he's the only returning actor not to have been in a Lynch episode, correct?
Bellina has been directed by Lynch twice though. She was in a deleted scene of Wild at Heart and Inland Empire.
djerdap
RR Diner Member

Post by djerdap »

Duchovny talks here again a bit about Twin Peaks and his character:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfz0gaceV3Q#t=39m30s
https://thirtythreexthree.wordpress.com/ - 33x3: 33 favourite films by 33 directors, 33 favourite books by 33 authors, 33 favourite albums by 33 musicians and 3 favourite TV series
dkenny78
RR Diner Member

Post by dkenny78 »

Personally, I believe Season 3 will address very little of the baggage from the end of Season 2. And it shouldn't need to, other than the Good-Dale-in-the-Lodge storyline (which was the impetus for Frost to bring the continuation to Lynch in the first place). Just seeing or not seeing Ben, Audrey, Pete, Leo, etc. will reveal whether or not they survived their fates in Episode 29 (some of us already know via Frost's book anyway). So I don't think the show will open with a 'previously on Twin Peaks' which will ultimately serve to alienate a new audience.

I see the new Twin Peaks referencing the old series in much the same way that The Force Awakens referenced the original Star Wars films. The 'state of the world' will be established, there will likely be references to iconic moments and images (coffee, donuts, silent drape runners, the red room) as well as easter eggs for the superfans, but I can't imagine Lynch or Frost intend to provide a play-by-play on everything that happened in the town since Episode 29.