NON SPOILERS: Twin Peaks: Season 3 on Showtime Thread

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Re: NO SPOILERS: Twin Peaks Season 3 on Showtime May 21st 2017

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

mtwentz wrote:
Mr. Reindeer wrote:
Agent Sam Stanley wrote:
Tell that to a die hard Lost fan. He/she might shoot you in the head.
Not this die-hard Lost fan. I fully acknowledge, and enjoy, the messiness of it, and IMO the show fell down hardest in the final season when it worked to come up with pat resolutions and to tie certain mythology things up with a nice little bow (similar to the Waiter giving Coop gum in Episode 16 -- some things are better left ambiguous).
I loved that gum scene. I laughed out loud when Leland stated, 'I know that gum, I used to chew it as a kid. That's my most favorite gum in the world."

By the way, does anyone know if they were referring to Clove Gum?

Edit: Mr. Reindeer, while I'll disagree with you on the gum, I'll state that I have never liked the attempt to explain 'scorched engine oil'. I always felt that needed no further explanation.
For me, turning it into a (rather lame) "clue" cheapens a beautiful Lynch non sequitir. That said, I do agree that Wise's childlike delivery of the line is a thing of beauty. So much of Episode 16 is salvaged for me largely due to Mr. Wise's tremendous talent and brilliant acting choices.
Audrey Horne
Lodge Member

Post by Audrey Horne »

Highjacking thread to jump up and down.., I finally met Kyle for the first time last night!
God, I love this music. Isn't it too dreamy?
Harry S. Truman
RR Diner Member

Post by Harry S. Truman »

keatonshat wrote:
thedougpa wrote:
keatonshat wrote:Here's an interview with Sherilyn Fenn from Australian TV i believe yesterday. No real new info on the new series but there is a shot at around the 4:03 mark that i can't place at the moment, it may be unrelated to Lynch or TP but all the other clips they show during the interview are from Twin Peaks or FWWM

https://www.9now.com.au/today/2017/clip ... 450d415c25
Can't view that outside of Australia. Can you take a screenshot and post it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It may be unrelated to Lynch or Twin Peaks but who knows
Thank You Very Much for put this pics here!!
underthefan
Great Northern Member

Post by underthefan »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:For me, turning it into a (rather lame) "clue" cheapens a beautiful Lynch non sequitir. That said, I do agree that Wise's childlike delivery of the line is a thing of beauty. So much of Episode 16 is salvaged for me largely due to Mr. Wise's tremendous talent and brilliant acting choices.
Totally agreed! I have always felt Ep. 16 was a huge letdown from Ep. 14, and I never bought the whole sentimentality of "Into the light, Leland" (UGH!) just after the public revelation that Leland is a murderer, rapist, and child abuser, but Ray Wise is so brilliant that he single-handedly saves the episode for me.
Harry S. Truman
RR Diner Member

Post by Harry S. Truman »

underthefan wrote:
Harry S. Truman wrote:
laughingpinecone wrote: 3 AM!
Very convenient for fellow Europeans who may or may not be planning to go to bed reeeal early that night to watch the simulcast: if they screen it a few hours in advance, we'll be snoring through it anyway. Spoiler-proof!
I will try to follow the premiere live despite the time ( 3 AM)
Better get that coffee ready, Harry!
Sure, and quite, but the live premiere does not miss. 8) 8) :D
underthefan
Great Northern Member

Post by underthefan »

Harry S. Truman wrote:
underthefan wrote:
Harry S. Truman wrote:
I will try to follow the premiere live despite the time ( 3 AM)
Better get that coffee ready, Harry!
Sure, and quite, but the live premiere does not miss. 8) 8) :D
Just make sure it's black like... Well, you know the rest. :wink:
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

Audrey Horne wrote:Highjacking thread to jump up and down.., I finally met Kyle for the first time last night!
Awesome- did you shake any secrets out of him?
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
Dalai Cooper
RR Diner Member

Post by Dalai Cooper »

Ho-ly jumpin George!
DirkG
RR Diner Member

Post by DirkG »

underthefan wrote:
Mr. Reindeer wrote:For me, turning it into a (rather lame) "clue" cheapens a beautiful Lynch non sequitir. That said, I do agree that Wise's childlike delivery of the line is a thing of beauty. So much of Episode 16 is salvaged for me largely due to Mr. Wise's tremendous talent and brilliant acting choices.
Totally agreed! I have always felt Ep. 16 was a huge letdown from Ep. 14, and I never bought the whole sentimentality of "Into the light, Leland" (UGH!) just after the public revelation that Leland is a murderer, rapist, and child abuser, but Ray Wise is so brilliant that he single-handedly saves the episode for me.
'Into the light, Leland' is classic cinéma in comparison to the pukefest that is 'let's splain all the obscure clues from the dream right down to the f*cking gum' scene at the roadhouse.
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

I love the way the clues come together in episode 16. Do they all make fully logical sense, no. Does it tie things up into a beautiful bow from the first season, yes. Is it the last word on what the dream means overall? Of course not, this is David Lynch.

You can have surrealism and the unknowable and also have a level of quasi-schematic which helps Cooper crack the case. To me the gum, diary, etc. is that. Neither approach disdains the other. I love it.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
NonStopKnits
Roadhouse Member

Post by NonStopKnits »

I agree with Needleman on how all the clues come together in ep. 16. Actually, that's my favorite part of all mystery/bank heist/mindfuck movies and shows. *shrug*

Hi all, new poster, been lurking for a bit. I'm not usually a comment poster, but I'm getting so excited for the new material that I can't help but participate in the fun.
Mugunghwa

Post by Mugunghwa »

Newbie here, I'm sure this has been discussed a bunch of times but I'm curious what you guys think.

As we know, Frank Silva won't be in the new season which remains to be seen if BOB returns. So what actor that has been cast would make a good evil demon replacement?

My pick would be Frank Collinson. A few google images I've seen he has that piercing unnerving look from the eyes the same way Frank had. A little longer hair and I could see him as something of an evil brother to BOB.

I still wish Silva was around to reprise his role but I'm interested to see if Lynch gets creative with whatever "spirits" emerge from the Black Lodge.
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

N. Needleman wrote:I love the way the clues come together in episode 16. Do they all make fully logical sense, no. Does it tie things up into a beautiful bow from the first season, yes. Is it the last word on what the dream means overall? Of course not, this is David Lynch.

You can have surrealism and the unknowable and also have a level of quasi-schematic which helps Cooper crack the case. To me the gum, diary, etc. is that. Neither approach disdains the other. I love it.
This is true. I love so much about episode 16. Is it episode 14? No, of course not. But it's beautiful, and I don't find that anything is overexplained.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

To each his/her own. I find the Roadhouse scene has terrific mood (particularly the opening few shots -- Beymer cracking nuts in handcuffs is inspired), but find the "solutions" to nonexistent clues cringeworthy. (Btw, how many people catch that Albert is drinking from a flask in the opening shot -- and offers it to Coop!)

Related to all this: I'm rereading Brad's wonderful book throughout my rewatch, and noticed something that I'd forgotten: on page 215, Peyton says the closing scene of Coop absolving Leland was Frost & DKL working "very, very closely," possibly for the last time on the series. That's really interesting to me. I consider myself among the camp that prefers to believe Leland is culpable (albeit in denial), and I also like to believe that FWWM proves that DKL feels the same way. However, Peyton's recollections generally seem pretty reliable. It's an interesting (and for me, slightly unsettling) revelation that DKL may have been more involved in parts of Episode 16 than is generally thought.
h2nho
Roadhouse Member

Post by h2nho »

Mugunghwa wrote:Newbie here, I'm sure this has been discussed a bunch of times but I'm curious what you guys think.

As we know, Frank Silva won't be in the new season which remains to be seen if BOB returns. So what actor that has been cast would make a good evil demon replacement?

My pick would be Frank Collinson. A few google images I've seen he has that piercing unnerving look from the eyes the same way Frank had. A little longer hair and I could see him as something of an evil brother to BOB.

I still wish Silva was around to reprise his role but I'm interested to see if Lynch gets creative with whatever "spirits" emerge from the Black Lodge.
From the amount of immersion he's done in Twin Peaks world these past few months (going to SXSW, reading SHTP on tape, etc.), I'm betting that Robert Knepper will be an important part of the new series. He's my current prediction, but I might be way off base.

He also (spoiler) just played a Big Bad on Homeland, so that might be coloring my perception of him.