NON SPOILERS: Twin Peaks: Season 3 on Showtime Thread

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

mtwentz
Lodge Member

Re: NON SPOILERS: Twin Peaks: Season 3 on Showtime Thread

Post by mtwentz »

N. Needleman wrote:Commentary from a fan who met Sabrina Sutherland at the TP Fest and learned this:
David and Mark obviously co-wrote the series... to a point. Around the time they handed things over to Showtime, things changed a bit. Mark went off to write The Secret History of Twin Peaks and David directed the whole thing, but the interesting thing to note here is that, as you all may recall, the series Showtime announced was going to be 8 or 9 episodes. There was that whole drama where David announced he quit, Showtime caved, and now we have 18 episodes. This was NOT a case of the existing material simply being stretched out. According to Sabrina, David actually continued to write. So this seems to have shifted the level of writing involvement more heavily to Lynch than Frost. EDIT: For clarity, it's not that David wrote nine more episodes. It's more like he wrote more scenes interspersed throughout the existing material.

More here, including Jan D'Arcy talking about how Eamon Farren was so upset by the assault scene in Part 10 he called his own grandmother.
I think this closely matched what Fenn said on a podcast interview that was quickly pulled down. Since that interview, I suspected Lynch wrote a significant amount of the new material himself, if not all of it.

Which does not, in my mind, in any way, shape or form diminish Frost's contribution. You can still see Frost's fingerprints all over S3 (Dr. Amp anyone?)
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

mtwentz wrote:
N. Needleman wrote:Commentary from a fan who met Sabrina Sutherland at the TP Fest and learned this:
David and Mark obviously co-wrote the series... to a point. Around the time they handed things over to Showtime, things changed a bit. Mark went off to write The Secret History of Twin Peaks and David directed the whole thing, but the interesting thing to note here is that, as you all may recall, the series Showtime announced was going to be 8 or 9 episodes. There was that whole drama where David announced he quit, Showtime caved, and now we have 18 episodes. This was NOT a case of the existing material simply being stretched out. According to Sabrina, David actually continued to write. So this seems to have shifted the level of writing involvement more heavily to Lynch than Frost. EDIT: For clarity, it's not that David wrote nine more episodes. It's more like he wrote more scenes interspersed throughout the existing material.

More here, including Jan D'Arcy talking about how Eamon Farren was so upset by the assault scene in Part 10 he called his own grandmother.
I think this closely matched what Fenn said on a podcast interview that was quickly pulled down. Since that interview, I suspected Lynch wrote a significant amount of the new material himself, if not all of it.

Which does not, in my mind, in any way, shape or form diminish Frost's contribution. You can still see Frost's fingerprints all over S3 (Dr. Amp anyone?)
So, I'm still trying to make sense of this. Was the drama related to Lynch wanting it to be longer, or at least of no specified length? Is that what is implied here?
Panapaok
Bookhouse Member

Post by Panapaok »

LateReg wrote:So, I'm still trying to make sense of this. Was the drama related to Lynch wanting it to be longer, or at least of no specified length? Is that what is implied here?
I think Lynch didn't want any restrictions. He demanded to shoot as much as he wanted (even shooting more unscripted scenes) and cut it any way he wanted it.
This is - excuse me - a damn fine cup of coffee.
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

Panapaok wrote:
LateReg wrote:So, I'm still trying to make sense of this. Was the drama related to Lynch wanting it to be longer, or at least of no specified length? Is that what is implied here?
I think Lynch didn't want any restrictions. He demanded to shoot as much as he wanted (even shooting more unscripted scenes) and cut it any way he wanted it.
After seeing over 2/3 of the show now, I have to wonder if it was more than just the length, but also the amount of special effects. Without getting into any spoilers, I have no idea how much some of these scenes cost to shoot, but it seems like the special effects budget is much higher than one would originally have imagined a Twin Peaks production to be like.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
Panapaok
Bookhouse Member

Post by Panapaok »

mtwentz wrote:
Panapaok wrote:
After seeing over 2/3 of the show now, I have to wonder if it was more than just the length, but also the amount of special effects. Without getting into any spoilers, I have no idea how much some of these scenes cost to shoot, but it seems like the special effects budget is much higher than one would originally have imagined a Twin Peaks production to be like.
Agreed. And I'd imagine that the climax of the series will involve plenty of visual/special effects as well. Just speculating.
Tony Franciosa

Post by Tony Franciosa »

CBS said that the better-than-expected performance was driven by strong revenue growth in affiliate and subscription fees. In the second quarter, the company saw $848 million in fee revenue. That figure represents a 38 percent year-over-year growth for the business.

CEO Les Moonves said the return of "Twin Peaks" helped boost Showtime subscriptions "dramatically."

Growth in CBS' subscription service fees has gained importance amid cord-cutting concerns and declining ad revenue. But in the second quarter, CBS saw advertising revenue grow 6 percent year over year.
https://www.cnbc.com/2017/08/07/cbs-ear ... -2017.html
Little Pine Cone
Roadhouse Member

Post by Little Pine Cone »

"CBS earnings boosted by 'Twin Peaks,' Final Four"

So maybe hope for a Season 4 yet? Well, so far as Showtime pursuing one.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/cbs-ea ... 2017-08-07
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

Sutherland allegedly told fans at the fest that "the production side" is up for more and they'd be discussing it with Showtime post-finale.

Please please please.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
Mallard
RR Diner Member

Post by Mallard »

N. Needleman wrote:Sutherland allegedly told fans at the fest that "the production side" is up for more and they'd be discussing it with Showtime post-finale.

Please please please.
I have to hand it to you Needleman, you've been the most optimistic about TP:TR's financial viability through this whole thing. I couldn't see the forest for the poor live numbers. Great call...kudos.

P.S. You were the worst thing in all of Season 2.
Welcome...to the third...place.
Esselgee
RR Diner Member

Post by Esselgee »

Sounds like Showtime has no plans for season 4:

‘Twin Peaks’: No Talks For Another Season But “Door’s Always Open To David Lynch,” Showtime Bosses Say

“It was always intended to be one season,” Showtime president and CEO David Nevins told Deadline at the Showtime TCA party. “A lot of people are speculating but there’s been zero contemplation, zero discussions other than fans asking me about it.”

http://deadline.com/2017/08/twin-peaks- ... 202144491/
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

I guess we'll see!

Although content is key here:
UPDATE: It took more than 27 years for Twin Peaks to return to television. With the 18-episode followup season nearing the end of its run on Showtime, could there be another installment of David Lynch’s cult series?

“It was always intended to be one season,” Showtime president and CEO David Nevins told Deadline at the Showtime TCA party. “A lot of people are speculating but there’s been zero contemplation, zero discussions other than fans asking me about it.”

That said, “The door’s always open to David Lynch,, whether that would lead to another season, I don’t know if he wants to do it,” said Showtime programming president Gary Levine, who was ABC’s executive on the original Twin peaks series and played a key role in bringing the revival to Showtime. “This was a Herculean effort. I’m not sure if any director has ever done 18 hours in a row of a series… It’s remarkable what he achieved, fans are liking it and for me that’s what’s satisfying.”
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
mtsi
RR Diner Member

Post by mtsi »

God, I hope not.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
We live inside a dream.
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

That's the spirit!
Panapaok
Bookhouse Member

Post by Panapaok »

We need to see the ending of this series first before we decide if there's need for more. At least that's what I think.
Cooperscoffeecup
RR Diner Member

Post by Cooperscoffeecup »

Panapaok wrote:We need to see the ending of this series first before we decide if there's need for more. At least that's what I think.
oh come on, a need for more. Need isnt a factor surely. Kyle has already said that there are more stories that could be told. :)