NON SPOILERS: Twin Peaks: Season 3 on Showtime Thread

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

counterpaul
RR Diner Member

Re: NON SPOILERS: Twin Peaks: Season 3 on Showtime Thread

Post by counterpaul »

Harry S. Truman wrote:
mtwentz wrote:If we hear Showtime is funding another Lynch project, I think we'll have a pretty good indication that Showtime is happy with the results.
Other Project of Lynch would be Twin Peaks season 4. If Lynch follow in showtime is to do a new season of twin peaks. I don´t see to Lynch doing other thing.
Why in the world not? Lynch has said repeatedly that "cable TV is the new arthouse," and now he trusts that Showtime will let him do what he wants with a project (which is everything to Lynch--especially after the bad experiences he's had with networks in the past). If/when Lynch gets his next idea for a cinematic work, it's seems to me Showtime would very naturally be the first place he'd go with it!

As to another season/iteration of Twin Peaks, who knows. I have a feeling that Lynch and Frost set out to make The Return a fairly closed-ended work. Sure, Lynch has said that he'll "never say never" when it comes to more Twin Peaks, but I don't think they're looking at this like an ongoing series. IF more Twin Peaks happens, it will likely be a ways in the future and be another limited series. It seems 100% clear that they're not interested in turning Twin Peaks back into an ongoing, one-season-a-year machine like it was in Season 1 and 2.

Back to mtwentz's comment: I also think it will be a telling sign if Showtime gives another filmmaker the opportunity to shoot a giant project, with total, carte-blanche creative control like Lynch had here, especially if it's another artistically minded/"difficult" auteur (I'd love to see someone like, say, Charlie Kaufman--whom I know had a pilot rejected by FX--get a deal similar to the one that Lynch got with TPTR). If we see something like that happen, we'll know that Showtime considered TPTR a success.
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

LateReg wrote:I'm not sure if anyone has posted this yet, but a few here have been wondering about Hollywood Reporter's Tim Goodman, who published that infamous article about how Legion beat the new Twin Peaks at its own game before it even aired. He finally published something about the new series. He admits that he miscalculated the show's ability to be weird by a large margin (while also stating that some of the weirdness is merely there as affectation), but also says that he finds it to be a chore to watch. Not surprising, I don't think, given that he seems to have had more misgivings about even the original series than most people and that he was down on the new series before it even aired, but at least he owned up to underestimating the weirdness.
I posted it in the press thread as well. He also whines about the show on Twitter a lot. I love Internet writers who fancy themselves the next Hunter S. Thompson simply by virtue of being 'cranky'.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Whoops, dunno how I missed that that ratings article had already been posted. :oops:

N. Needleman wrote:
LateReg wrote:I'm not sure if anyone has posted this yet, but a few here have been wondering about Hollywood Reporter's Tim Goodman, who published that infamous article about how Legion beat the new Twin Peaks at its own game before it even aired. He finally published something about the new series. He admits that he miscalculated the show's ability to be weird by a large margin (while also stating that some of the weirdness is merely there as affectation), but also says that he finds it to be a chore to watch. Not surprising, I don't think, given that he seems to have had more misgivings about even the original series than most people and that he was down on the new series before it even aired, but at least he owned up to underestimating the weirdness.
I posted it in the press thread as well. He also whines about the show on Twitter a lot. I love Internet writers who fancy themselves the next Hunter S. Thompson simply by virtue of being 'cranky'.
He doesn't even bother to articulate what he dislikes about the new show except to trot out the old chestnut "Lynch is being weird for weird's sake" and saying he doesn't like Ike, a character who's had, what...five minutes' screentime in nine hours of show?
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

He also rants about purely hatewatching it after 'suffering' through the first four.

Now he is occasionally popping up to bitch about other writers' takes on the show. I think he's going to become increasingly put out and I love it.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

N. Needleman wrote:He also rants about purely hatewatching it after 'suffering' through the first four.

Now he is occasionally popping up to bitch about other writers' takes on the show. I think he's going to become increasingly put out and I love it.
Just on his Twitter? Where do I find these wonderful links?
Harry S. Truman
RR Diner Member

Post by Harry S. Truman »

counterpaul wrote:
Harry S. Truman wrote:
mtwentz wrote:If we hear Showtime is funding another Lynch project, I think we'll have a pretty good indication that Showtime is happy with the results.
Other Project of Lynch would be Twin Peaks season 4. If Lynch follow in showtime is to do a new season of twin peaks. I don´t see to Lynch doing other thing.
Why in the world not? Lynch has said repeatedly that "cable TV is the new arthouse," and now he trusts that Showtime will let him do what he wants with a project (which is everything to Lynch--especially after the bad experiences he's had with networks in the past). If/when Lynch gets his next idea for a cinematic work, it's seems to me Showtime would very naturally be the first place he'd go with it!

As to another season/iteration of Twin Peaks, who knows. I have a feeling that Lynch and Frost set out to make The Return a fairly closed-ended work. Sure, Lynch has said that he'll "never say never" when it comes to more Twin Peaks, but I don't think they're looking at this like an ongoing series. IF more Twin Peaks happens, it will likely be a ways in the future and be another limited series. It seems 100% clear that they're not interested in turning Twin Peaks back into an ongoing, one-season-a-year machine like it was in Season 1 and 2.

Back to mtwentz's comment: I also think it will be a telling sign if Showtime gives another filmmaker the opportunity to shoot a giant project, with total, carte-blanche creative control like Lynch had here, especially if it's another artistically minded/"difficult" auteur (I'd love to see someone like, say, Charlie Kaufman--whom I know had a pilot rejected by FX--get a deal similar to the one that Lynch got with TPTR). If we see something like that happen, we'll know that Showtime considered TPTR a success.
This is your opinion! I Am sure of that if Twin Peaks return, won,t be in 25 years, It would be the Next year. This is my hope of course.

Lynch and Frost are more interested in Twin Peaks of you say. The moment to follow doing the series is now that is the focus of attention, not in 2 or 3 years when anybody remember.
dud
RR Diner Member

Post by dud »

keep thinking about how thankful i am about the decision to air parts 17 and 18 back to back. it'll be cool to end the show with a big 2 hour chunk. it would have been frustrating to watch part 17, which i am sure will have built up a lot of momentum at that point, only to have it end and then have to wait one more week to watch what i am sure would feel like a very short hour. i'm definitely in agreement with the poster that said that it would have been a good decision to air 2 parts per week. glad we're getting that again for the final 2 parts
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

dud wrote:keep thinking about how thankful i am about the decision to air parts 17 and 18 back to back. it'll be cool to end the show with a big 2 hour chunk. it would have been frustrating to watch part 17, which i am sure will have built up a lot of momentum at that point, only to have it end and then have to wait one more week to watch what i am sure would feel like a very short hour. i'm definitely in agreement with the poster that said that it would have been a good decision to air 2 parts per week. glad we're getting that again for the final 2 parts
Yep, I think that's when I am finally going to plan my Twin Peaks party :-)
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

The show has a new superfan, one stranger than anyone in Twin Peaks: Herman Cain, the former Republican presidential candidate who once plagiarized a speech from Pokemon.

Why is he attaching TP pix to his tweets? I just don't know, Albert!
mtsi
RR Diner Member

Post by mtsi »

That's pretty weird and awesome.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
We live inside a dream.
SpookyDollhouse
RR Diner Member

Post by SpookyDollhouse »

If Showtime deems this a success it could mean a further partnership with Lynch, they'd be his own little "TV arthouse." That I look forward to, further Twin Peaks or not.
laughingpinecone
Great Northern Member

Post by laughingpinecone »

I hope he gets a chance to make his podcast...how many times has he mentioned it in recent interviews? Two for sure. I wonder what a Lynch podcast would be like. It'd sound great for sure.
] The gathered are known by their faces of stone.
marfy

Post by marfy »

N. Needleman wrote:The show has a new superfan, one stranger than anyone in Twin Peaks: Herman Cain, the former Republican presidential candidate who once plagiarized a speech from Pokemon.

Why is he attaching TP pix to his tweets? I just don't know, Albert!
I'm absolutely losing my shit over this. What in god's name? It seems like there's *some* thought put into it because a tweet about Caitlyn Jenner features a screencap of Denise but beyond that...?
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »