NON SPOILERS: Twin Peaks: Season 3 on Showtime Thread

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Re: NO SPOILERS: Twin Peaks Season 3 on Showtime May 21st 2017

Post by Agent Earle »

Audrey Horne wrote: *also he told me he posts here under the name of Agent Earle... Who knew?!
Come on, Sherilyn, you and me didn't happen - get over it.
adl345
RR Diner Member

Post by adl345 »

I've always felt that Cooper's little "All the clues now make total sense" monologue outside the interrogation room would've played much better had Albert smirked and done a jerk-off hand motion at the very end of it.
Dalai Cooper
RR Diner Member

Post by Dalai Cooper »

adl345 wrote:I've always felt that Cooper's little "All the clues now make total sense" monologue outside the interrogation room would've played much better had Albert smirked and done a jerk-off hand motion at the very end of it.
lol

True of most scenes tbf
Audrey Horne
Lodge Member

Post by Audrey Horne »

Agent Earle wrote:
Audrey Horne wrote: *also he told me he posts here under the name of Agent Earle... Who knew?!
Come on, Sherilyn, you and me didn't happen - get over it.
Ha. I thought you would like the shoutout.
God, I love this music. Isn't it too dreamy?
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

Lol, you actually made me go through Agent Earle's posts.
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

Dalai Cooper wrote:The fact that cooper (+Donna!) is a total passenger in the solution feels subversive & right to me. I get that the back-formed "clues" are too neat, but I've always read that as cooper's post hoc rationalisation of a more pure revelation - he didn't deduce anything, Laura told him.
As did I. It's both the truth and also a facade. It works for me. But Cooper (and Donna) do put some of the pieces given to them by the Lodge together to recover the truth.
Similarly, while I find the idea of a total absolution of the abusive father problematic to say the least
I think people always make too much of this, but that may be because I spent so much time with FWWM. We know Lynch had a hand in Leland's death scene and the monologue, so he clearly felt for the character. He can feel for the character and still hold him ultimately culpable. Episode 16 and FWWM are just two sides of the same story.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
Agent Sam Stanley
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Sam Stanley »

N. Needleman wrote:
Mr. Reindeer wrote:Related to all this: I'm rereading Brad's wonderful book throughout my rewatch, and noticed something that I'd forgotten: on page 215, Peyton says the closing scene of Coop absolving Leland was Frost & DKL working "very, very closely," possibly for the last time on the series. That's really interesting to me. I consider myself among the camp that prefers to believe Leland is culpable (albeit in denial), and I also like to believe that FWWM proves that DKL feels the same way. However, Peyton's recollections generally seem pretty reliable. It's an interesting (and for me, slightly unsettling) revelation that DKL may have been more involved in parts of Episode 16 than is generally thought.
I think people have frankly always been too dogmatic about that scene and episode. I think it's very possible Lynch feels you can have both perspectives on the situation being equally valid - Leland's pain and grief and suffering as part of the well-known cycle of abuse as detailed in episode 16, and also his brutal culpability in FWWM.

I certainly can have both. To me they work together, the same way the show and film do. Complementary parts of the same song.
To me both the show and the film left Leland's level of culpability ambiguous which IMO was a very smart move.
I was quite shocked to discover recently that a lot of fans here chose only one of the options as "the right way to interpret it" and God help you if you disagree Image
Agent Sam Stanley
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Sam Stanley »

Audrey Horne wrote:
mtwentz wrote:
Audrey Horne wrote:Highjacking thread to jump up and down.., I finally met Kyle for the first time last night!
Awesome- did you shake any secrets out of him?
Yeah, he was dying to spill. He just kept rambling on about the whole plot and how revolutionary it will be with the laugh track they're adding... But we can't talk spoilers here. Coop on roller skates is going to be amazing.

Nah. Caught him in NYC at the end of his wine tasting for about fifteen minutes. Completely down to earth, really friendly and my same sense of humor. Talked about his wine process, a mutual friend, nyc, helping on Brad's book, the LA festival of disruption, how the friends I was with met at the fest and he should go. I kept trying to only talk about the wine to be more respectful... But would occasionally say okay, I'm going to dork out now. He was great and looks fantastic. Then his people basically said they have to wrap up the event because it was over. I think I left saying congratulations on his wine and the new season, how happy and excited I was for him... He seemed pretty giddy about it to, and not just being polite fan service. Really great guy.

*also he told me he posts here under the name of Agent Earle... Who knew?!

That you?
Audrey Horne
Lodge Member

Post by Audrey Horne »

Um, No. Someone that must have went earlier. Love the mug though.
God, I love this music. Isn't it too dreamy?
mtsi
RR Diner Member

Post by mtsi »

Breaking: Chester Desmond is alive and well.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
We live inside a dream.
kitty666cats
RR Diner Member

Post by kitty666cats »

mtsi wrote:Breaking: Chester Desmond is alive and well.

wuh wuh wah?
Chester Desmond
Roadhouse Member

Post by Chester Desmond »

It's TOTALLY true.
Hang loose, Houlies
mtsi
RR Diner Member

Post by mtsi »

Thank God.

We live inside a dream.
mfleite
Roadhouse Member

Post by mfleite »

I hope so. I'm seeing him perform in Virginia in August.
Rudagger
RR Diner Member

Post by Rudagger »

I do wonder if the new season will approach any mystery/crime-solving/whodunits in a more .. thorough manner than the original series.

I think perhaps having just been spoiled by some recent crime shows, but, the mystery solving in Twin Peaks feels, for lack of a better word, very light. As a poster above said, Cooper is mostly a passenger to finding the solution (which I think in turn makes some of the revelations a bit cheap, given that a lot of it comes down to very literal deus ex machinas). I think it might be nice to have any detective work feel a bit more intensive (the pilot episode gets closer to a vibe that works). Mind you, the original series was made in the 90s, without the internet and binge watching, so, I imagine by design it was a bit on the simple side. I like the mystical clues and stuff, but, I think they should've only really been employed in kicking off threads of the investigation, rather than being used to solve it (like the great rock throwing scene, it's suggestive, but, it doesn't really answer anything)

Come to think of it, does Coop actually do anything to discover that Leland is actually the murderer (beyond the mystical clues)? I'm sure there was something about some fur on some item in Ben Hornes' office, but, I think that might've been what led him to initially pinning it on Ben.