Interview with John Thorne, editor of Wrapped in Plastic

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Brad D
Global Moderator

Re: Interview with John Thorne, editor of Wrapped in Plastic

Post by Brad D »

Part 2 was really cool. Incredible how many of us thought Lynch was maybe done with directing a couple of weeks ago. Still processing all this!
LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

Post by LostInTheMovies »

Brad D wrote:Part 2 was really cool. Incredible how many of us thought Lynch was maybe done with directing a couple of weeks ago. Still processing all this!
Yes, this year has been a wild ride. I'm half-expecting some new bit of news to necessitate a part 4...
LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

Pt. 3 - Twin Peaks is Back

Just posted the third and final entry of my interview with John:

http://thedancingimage.blogspot.com/201 ... -with.html

We discuss the upcoming series, the original series finale, and media myths about the show.
Mb3
RR Diner Member

Post by Mb3 »

I'm so glad that you already posted part 3 today because I think I wouldn't have been patient enough to wait for another week.
musicaddict
RR Diner Member

Post by musicaddict »

Thank Joel. I have really enjoyed the interviews! I really liked the discussion about how the media still does not 'get' Twin Peaks and how they seem to repeat the same old tired story over and over.
tausendsassa
Roadhouse Member

Post by tausendsassa »

Thanks for these interviews - funny how the world of TP news wouldn't let you catch up ;-)

I especially liked John's attitude in the 3rd interview, how he said he would really only consider a continuation of WiP (or similar) after the new season will be through. And this sentence: "If the first episode tends to contradict something that we think fundamentally has been established, I will point that stuff out and I will argue it out and use as much evidence as I can." I liked very much.

The "Dear Meadow is a dream" theory was new to me, I never read any of WiP, so thanks also for this piece of "old news", it will keep me thinking for a while, I guess.
LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

Thanks, everyone. Really glad the conversation has struck a chord among newcomers (including me, as I didn't discover Twin Peaks until 2006-8) and Wrapped in Plastic readers alike. Though this is the last entry in this conversation, I'm hoping there will be more in the future, especially when the new series airs...
harmolodic
Roadhouse Member

Post by harmolodic »

Man, thanks for posting all three parts of the interview. I purchased every issue of Wrapped in Plastic as they came out...I remember driving to Tower records (!) to buy them. Every issue was amazing. How quaint these days to think about going to a record store to buy a magazine...

I love the idea that the "Between Two Worlds" segment Lynch did with the Palmer family is his opening salvo in the "Twin Peaks is coming back" announcement. I rewatched it last night with that concept in mind and, in fact, that is exactly what it is, without a doubt. Pretty freaking amazing.

Lynch loves his code...
TwinPeaksFanatic
RR Diner Member

Post by TwinPeaksFanatic »

very interesting, thanks for posting
LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

Thanks to both of you for reading.

"How quaint these days to think about going to a record store to buy a magazine..."

Ha, on several counts!
herofix

Post by herofix »

I don't know why, but I'd never really thought through that "BOB in Cooper" and "Good Coop & Bad Coop" were actually such different explanations.

Maybe if that's the end of Twin Peaks you can let the two different versions just swirl in your head and intermingle a little bit without separating them so explicitly. But now that there will be new episodes that we have near certainty will be dealing with what happens afterwards, I realise how different the two visions really are.

I'm definitely of the same mind as these two fellas in preferring the "Lynch" version. Seeing as Frank Silva is sadly unavailable now, it would make sense to go down that road just as a practical matter.
sparco1979
Roadhouse Member

Post by sparco1979 »

Excellent yet again & explores my favourite quotes of The Lynch on Lynch book! hope they found those Diary Pages!
musicaddict
RR Diner Member

Post by musicaddict »

The only point I disagree with John is how WIP should be continued. I think if anything it stilll lends itself to a published format. If it was simply a fanzine reviewing episodes etc then I agree the internet is now more immediate but where it is actually mulling over different theories/ideas and providing a space where these thoughts and ideas have been assessed over a long period of time then I think they should be printed and published.

When it comes to websites, forums and blogs someone could post an amazing idea/thought/essay but if that disappears off the internet then it is gone. I prefer to have a physical document to refer back to and I think the TP audience would lend itself far more to buying the actual physical WIP rather than an online format. Also with being able to purchase the items online John would not have to get shops to stock the magazine.

I would not envisage WIP as being a long term committment but rather maybe 2 issues a year for 2-3 years after the next cycle of TP has ended.
bosguy1981
Great Northern Member

Post by bosguy1981 »

Great interview, Lostinthemovies!
herofix wrote:I don't know why, but I'd never really thought through that "BOB in Cooper" and "Good Coop & Bad Coop" were actually such different explanations.

Maybe if that's the end of Twin Peaks you can let the two different versions just swirl in your head and intermingle a little bit without separating them so explicitly. But now that there will be new episodes that we have near certainty will be dealing with what happens afterwards, I realise how different the two visions really are.

I'm definitely of the same mind as these two fellas in preferring the "Lynch" version. Seeing as Frank Silva is sadly unavailable now, it would make sense to go down that road just as a practical matter.
I'm in the same boat. I hadn't really considered these different explanations. And then I got to thinking -- it's interesting that for Fire Walk With Me, when Lynch did the deleted scene of Cooper bleeding in the bathroom, he did not show BOB in that scene whatsoever. The camera was positioned so that the audience can't even see the reflection in the mirror. That had to be a deliberate omission, right?
LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

Thanks again, folks! Glad the readers keep coming.
herofix wrote:I don't know why, but I'd never really thought through that "BOB in Cooper" and "Good Coop & Bad Coop" were actually such different explanations.

Since the interview, I corresponded w/ John a bit more and read his old essay on the finale. Like you, I don't think I'd ever really thought through the differences between Bob-possesses and good/evil Coop (also the original essay frames Leland in a more analogous manner, which I'm happier w/ - I don't see his "possession"/split as being fundamentally different from Cooper's). One thing that is really compelling to me is that John originally (though not explicitly in the interview) envisions the split taking place earlier, when Cooper sees Annie/Caroline on the floor. After that, he believes we are only seeing the "good" side of Cooper, so that when he volunteers his soul, sees Bob, and later turns and walks out of the room it isn't "Agent Cooper" we're seeing so much as one half of him.

People always forget that Cooper split because there's all this talk of "Cooper" getting out of the Lodge, but it isn't Cooper in there per se, it's his good side. Granted, in the outer world he was a pretty good guy, so he may seem interchangeable with the "Good Cooper" but still...he's only half in the Lodge, I think.