Interview with John Thorne, editor of Wrapped in Plastic

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

Interview with John Thorne, editor of Wrapped in Plastic

Post by LostInTheMovies »

I spoke with John (whom most of you know co-edited/published/wrote the 13-year-run of the legendary Wrapped in Plastic fanzine) this summer and and again in the fall - first about the history of the magazine and two of his favorite essays from it, "Dreams of Deer Meadow" and "The Transformation of Laura Palmer", and later about The Missing Pieces, blu-ray release and some other stuff. Part I went up this morning - the timing is a coincidence :). It's pretty long as we really dig into some of his ideas about the film in particular. Part II will go up next week. Both posts are illustrated with dozens of classic Wrapped in Plastic covers - should be a treat for all Twin Peaks and Wrapped in Plastic fans:

http://www.lostinthemovies.com/2014/10/ ... -with.html

EDIT (April 2017): Holy crap, I can't believe for 2 1/2 years this thread included the wrong link (it was to a YT video). I'm glad everyone seemed to find the proper link anyway. It's now been fixed.
Last edited by LostInTheMovies on Sat Apr 08, 2017 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hopesfall
RR Diner Member

Re: Interview with John Thorne, editor of Wrapped in Plastic

Post by hopesfall »

Awesome! Great work once again! I've been really enjoying your posts LiTM. :D
LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

Thanks! I'm hoping to add some comments to next week's post about Monday's incredible announcement. I just spoke to John via email and he sounded incredibly excited (neither of us thought there was any chance of a revival) so hopefully he'll have more to add on the subject before Pt. II goes up.
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

WIP kept the flame for TP alive for years. I hope to hear more from John as the new series progresses. Craig and John's views on the show always mirrored my own pretty closely. I only wish Craig was here to enjoy all of this with us.
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
http://twinpeakssoundtrackdesign.blogspot.com/
jmichael
RR Diner Member

Post by jmichael »

Just as Twin Peaks completely influenced me as a writer and creative artist, so did Wrapped in Plastic (along with the book "Full of Secrets") teach me that television and film were worthy of serious study like books. It had a profound impact on me when I first discovered WiP circa 1993 and I stayed reading till the end.

It's funny that John mentions the issue with The X-Files on the cover being a turning point in circulation for them. It was the first issue I ever got - a friend saw it at a comic dealer and knowing I was an X-Files fan, he bought it for me. When I saw the title, I chuckled, but when I flipped to the back cover and saw that illustration of Cooper, Albert, Gordon, and Jefferies standing with Mulder and Scully, I flipped out. My delight to discover this was actually a Twin Peaks magazine was off the charts.

I'm looking forward to John's thoughtful scholarship on the new episodes.
LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

jmichael wrote:It was the first issue I ever got - a friend saw it at a comic dealer and knowing I was an X-Files fan, he bought it for me. When I saw the title, I chuckled, but when I flipped to the back cover and saw that illustration of Cooper, Albert, Gordon, and Jefferies standing with Mulder and Scully, I flipped out. My delight to discover this was actually a Twin Peaks magazine was off the charts.
Love this story!
Mb3
RR Diner Member

Post by Mb3 »

It took me some time to read the whole thing because it is very long. But it's great as all of the other work I've read or watched from you so far. Can't wait until next week for the second part.
LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

Mb3 wrote:It took me some time to read the whole thing because it is very long. But it's great as all of the other work I've read or watched from you so far. Can't wait until next week for the second part.
Yes, it is long! But worthwhile hopefully. Pt. 2 was going to just be about the Missing Pieces (which we discussed a month ago) but obviously in light of Monday's news, I'll be touching base with him again and getting some more thoughts directly on that. Funny how parts of our conversation already seem dated (just as the Missing Pieces made parts of this first conversation, conducted in early July, feel dated too). This year is moving at lightning-speed - I find my thinking on Twin Peaks/Lynch has shifted numerous times, based on my own viewing as well as outside circumstances.
musicaddict
RR Diner Member

Post by musicaddict »

Do you know if John has any plans to revive Wrapped in Plastic in 2016/17 to discuss the new episodes?
Mb3
RR Diner Member

Post by Mb3 »

LostInTheMovies wrote:
Yes, it is long! But worthwhile hopefully.
Of course it's worthwhile. I hope you didn't take it as some kind of criticism that I wrote the interview is very long because that wasn't my intention. I'm probably just a slow reader and that's the main reason why it took me so long. I'm eagerly interested to read what John has to say about the amazing news that TP is coming back (besides what he already wrote in his blog during this week).
LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

Mb3 wrote:
LostInTheMovies wrote:
Yes, it is long! But worthwhile hopefully.
Of course it's worthwhile. I hope you didn't take it as some kind of criticism that I wrote the interview is very long because that wasn't my intention. I'm probably just a slow reader and that's the main reason why it took me so long. I'm eagerly interested to read what John has to say about the amazing news that TP is coming back (besides what he already wrote in his blog during this week).
Oh no, not at all - don't worry.

As for the next entry, I think I'm going to two more instead of one. I was going to attach the TPs3 discussion as a coda to part 2, but it ended up being pretty long (we just talked a few hours ago) and has enough meat to warrant its own post in 2 1/2 weeks. The only worry is that yet more Twin Peaks news will come along, and make even that interview appear dated! ;)

He said one thing which resonated: "It's like we're living in an alternative universe now, and somewhere out there is a John Thorne who still lives in the more reasonable universe, in which a new Twin Peaks would never happen."

It really is a wild turnaround. Looking forward to his blog being more active now too.
LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

musicaddict wrote:Do you know if John has any plans to revive Wrapped in Plastic in 2016/17 to discuss the new episodes?
Interesting that you say "in 2016/17." He mentioned that Wrapped in Plastic probably would not return as a print entity, but that he would love to unpack and analyze the episodes AFTER they aired, pointing out that WiP ran only after the original Twin Peaks was concluded, allowing a full perspective on it as a complete work.

Although personally I certainly plan to write about the episodes as they unfold (if nothing else to make up for the fact that I didn't keep a viewing diary during my first viewing of Twin Peaks and thus can't remember many of my initial reactions!), that's a pretty refreshing attitude and I think a sign why his work is so strong. It's less about making a snap judgement than carefully digging into a work and really turning it over and playing with it over time.
sparco1979
Roadhouse Member

Post by sparco1979 »

Excellent Interview - really enjoyed it and very looking forward to Part 2
LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

Part 2: The Missing Pieces & more

Part 2 is up!

http://thedancingimage.blogspot.com/201 ... peaks.html

We discuss the style of The Missing Pieces & how they effect Fire Walk With Me; Between Two Worlds; the mid-second season's narrative problems (and how it was haunted by Laura Palmer); and finally the prospects of David Lynch returning to Twin Peaks. This interview took place a month ago, and neither of us saw much likelihood. :)

I've spoken to him since and pt. 3 will go up in 2 weeks (after the second part of my Twin Peaks video series posts next Monday). It will cover not only the new series but the finale episode of the original Twin Peaks (how strange to post "the original Twin Peaks"...).