Animals

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Everso

Animals

Post by Everso »

Hi there

Long time viewer, first time poster.

What animals / animal metaphors are featured in the series / film?

If this a well worn topic, could you point me towards previous threads.

Thanks.
euro
Roadhouse Member

Re: Animals

Post by euro »

Owls, White Horses, Llamas & Waldo :D
Through the darkness of futures past
The magician longs to see
One chants out between two worlds
Fire walk with me
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Post by Jasper »

The birds sing a pretty song. Cooper doesn't like birds. Some masks in the film have bird-like beaks, and the sound of the Jumping Man (in The Missing Pieces) could be construed as a horrifying bird-like squawk.

The black dog runs at night. It seems BOB is the black dog. If you ask Fernanda, you might hear that the black dog is Sirius, the dog star, in keeping with other lodge elements such as Saturn, Venus, and of course the Red Dwarf.

Death arrives on a pale horse.

Lucy has a bit about racoons, and don't forget the pine weasel.
Fernanda
Roadhouse Member

Post by Fernanda »

Last edited by Fernanda on Sun Apr 19, 2015 4:52 am, edited 10 times in total.
AgnililaOzwald
Roadhouse Member

Post by AgnililaOzwald »

Does anyone know if there is any particular significance to the Mina bird?
Garbanzo I OM
AgnililaOzwald
Roadhouse Member

Post by AgnililaOzwald »

Apparently myna birds are sacred and believed to sometimes be incarnations of human spirits.

http://www.garrettphelan.com/Mynah%20Bi ... Phelan.pdf
Garbanzo I OM
rocketsan22
RR Diner Member

Post by rocketsan22 »

Does Dead Dog Farm count?
BOB1
RR Diner Member

Post by BOB1 »

As for dogs in Lynch's films - a quote from a really good article featured on "The City of Absurdity":
Lynch's depiction of dogs is very interesting. In most films, the dog is pictured as an ally, as "man's best friend." However, Lynch's dogs are rather dark and twisted. A wonderful example is given by the Log Lady, in an introduction to an episode of Twin Peaks: "Is a dog man's best friend? I had a dog. The dog was large. It ate my garden, all the plants, and much earth. The dog ate so much it died." This is hardly an image of an ideal pet. Neither are other examples he presents to us: a disgusting assembly of pups sucking on their mother in the middle of the X's living room floor in Eraserhead; also from that film, dogs running after Henry Spencer on the street; a vicious black dog barking in Fire Walk With Me; a catatonic dog on the sidewalk in Blue Velvet; a dog running off with a dismembered hand in Wild at Heart.
It comes from a part of an essay devoted to Lynch's iconography. A good read (as is the whole text).
Bobi 1 Kenobi

B. Beware
O. Of
B. BOB
LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

Post by LostInTheMovies »

BOB1 wrote:As for dogs in Lynch's films - a quote from a really good article featured on "The City of Absurdity":
Lynch's depiction of dogs is very interesting. In most films, the dog is pictured as an ally, as "man's best friend." However, Lynch's dogs are rather dark and twisted. A wonderful example is given by the Log Lady, in an introduction to an episode of Twin Peaks: "Is a dog man's best friend? I had a dog. The dog was large. It ate my garden, all the plants, and much earth. The dog ate so much it died." This is hardly an image of an ideal pet. Neither are other examples he presents to us: a disgusting assembly of pups sucking on their mother in the middle of the X's living room floor in Eraserhead; also from that film, dogs running after Henry Spencer on the street; a vicious black dog barking in Fire Walk With Me; a catatonic dog on the sidewalk in Blue Velvet; a dog running off with a dismembered hand in Wild at Heart.
It comes from a part of an essay devoted to Lynch's iconography. A good read (as is the whole text).
As long as we're talking Lynch and dogs, don't forget:

Ran for 9 years. He definitely has a thing for unpleasant dogs.
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Post by Jasper »

Yes, the Angriest Dog in the World is absolutely key if we're talking about Lynch and canines.

Speaking of dogs, Leland/BOB howls like a dog in his jail cell when he's captured, and otherwise behaves like a mad dog who's been caged. Fantastic performance by Ray Wise. He sells it and then some.
Fernanda
Roadhouse Member

Post by Fernanda »

Last edited by Fernanda on Sun Apr 19, 2015 4:47 am, edited 5 times in total.
harmolodic
Roadhouse Member

Post by harmolodic »

Jasper wrote:Yes, the Angriest Dog in the World is absolutely key if we're talking about Lynch and canines.

Speaking of dogs, Leland/BOB howls like a dog in his jail cell when he's captured, and otherwise behaves like a mad dog who's been caged. Fantastic performance by Ray Wise. He sells it and then some.
As do Bobbie and Mike, when they're in jail....
Fernanda
Roadhouse Member

Post by Fernanda »

Last edited by Fernanda on Sun Apr 19, 2015 4:52 am, edited 5 times in total.
philosofish

Post by philosofish »

There's the little bird at the beginning the opening credit sequence, some ducks in the credit sequence, a raven (or some kind of black bird) in the episode where they visit the Log Lady's cabin, and Windom Earle's tarantulas in the second-to-last episode. There are also various stuffed animal heads (goats, deers) on the walls (and a table) of various sets.

"Oh, it fell."
BOB1
RR Diner Member

Post by BOB1 »

philosofish wrote:various stuffed animal heads (goats, deers) on the walls (and a table) of various sets.

"Oh, it fell."
such a lovely quote :D
a raven (or some kind of black bird) in the episode where they visit the Log Lady's cabin
I like these shots in Ep.5 (together with the slow motion flying bird and the four heads)! On the brink of over-the-top - but I like it!

And there are ducks! ducks on the lake!

And on the board there is a philosofish ;)
Bobi 1 Kenobi

B. Beware
O. Of
B. BOB