Animals

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Framed_Angel
RR Diner Member

Re: Animals

Post by Framed_Angel »

What, no mention of the endangered Pine Weasel?!?
Fly the Coop

Post by Fly the Coop »

BOB1 wrote:As for dogs in Lynch's films - a quote from a really good article featured on "The City of Absurdity":
Lynch's depiction of dogs is very interesting. In most films, the dog is pictured as an ally, as "man's best friend." However, Lynch's dogs are rather dark and twisted. A wonderful example is given by the Log Lady, in an introduction to an episode of Twin Peaks: "Is a dog man's best friend? I had a dog. The dog was large. It ate my garden, all the plants, and much earth. The dog ate so much it died." This is hardly an image of an ideal pet. Neither are other examples he presents to us: a disgusting assembly of pups sucking on their mother in the middle of the X's living room floor in Eraserhead; also from that film, dogs running after Henry Spencer on the street; a vicious black dog barking in Fire Walk With Me; a catatonic dog on the sidewalk in Blue Velvet; a dog running off with a dismembered hand in Wild at Heart.
It comes from a part of an essay devoted to Lynch's iconography. A good read (as is the whole text).
This is interesting. I'm yet to watch all the log lady intros! Has it been discussed somewhere else the parallels of this quote describing BOB as the dog and MIKE his owner. MIKE and BOB used to be best friends and work well together, presumably with MIKE as the dominant. But the large dog started eating everything and anything and ruining MIKE'S garden where he harvests his crop, garmonbozia in the "real-world". It may then offer an insight into the eventual fate of BOB... eat's himself to death by not sharing garmonbozia as he should be. That death of over eating could be because he gorged himself so much, or he's over eating, so he needed getting rid of.

Hmmmm, there's always somewhere Lynch sends your mind.
"Nothing beats the taste sensation when maple syrup, collides with ham"
Saturn's child
RR Diner Member

Post by Saturn's child »

Jasper wrote:The birds sing a pretty song. Cooper doesn't like birds. Some masks in the film have bird-like beaks, and the sound of the Jumping Man (in The Missing Pieces) could be construed as a horrifying bird-like squawk.
This is admittedly a bit (lot) of a stretch, but I've been reading about the practice of 'sky burial' recently... It's an old form of burial where the deceased is put on top of a mountain (twin?) peak to be eaten by birds/carrion feeders. It's practised for the most part in the East, & especially Tibet (it's described in the Bardo Thodol)... Maybe Coop's got a little death anxiety?
Laura was kind of part-sky buried too, thanks to Waldo.