TP season 3: new actors

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Asterisk
Roadhouse Member

TP season 3: new actors

Post by Asterisk »

We know there will be some new characters (ergo actors) in the new Twin Peaks. But who would you like to see coming to town?

Personally, one of my favourite actors (probably best known for a show I don't even watch, Supernatural) is Deadwood's Ellsworth, Jim Beaver. I think he'd fit into the Lynch community beautifully, and I'd love to see him there.
Gabriel
Great Northern Member

Re: TP season 3: new actors

Post by Gabriel »

Realistically, I hope we get a lot of new characters. Whenever something like the new TP is done, it runs the risk of becoming the dreaded 'reunion show' scenario where the same cast returns and the audience is more interested in how much older they look than what actually happens.

I'd be in favour of not featuring a single returning character for at least half the first episode. Establish the modern town and the environment through fresh characters, then 'bleed in' a Mayor Truman or a Sheriff Hawk and other familiar characters across the second half. Don't even have Cooper appear until the final moments of the first episode.

I know this is supposed to be a one-off season, but, if it's successful, I have no doubt Showtime will want more and there need to be enough new, young characters to support that.
musicaddict
RR Diner Member

Post by musicaddict »

I hope they cast a bunch of relative unknowns as this is what worked for TP the last time. Older cast from previously well known and new actors where there are no preconceptions about their ability/previous experience.
up4dabah

Post by up4dabah »

Justin Theroux would be a nice addition! He's in The Leftovers at the moment though. Laura Dern and William Dafoe too. Is Dean Stockwell retired?

Someone who hasn't worked with David Lynch before : Sam Rockwell and Juliette Lewis.

But maybe unknowns would be best as the above poster said.
Si78
RR Diner Member

Post by Si78 »

I feel like unknowns and respected-but-a-little-forgotten veterans would work best for the new characters as they did for the original series.

Some of my other favorite resurrected shows like Arrested Development and Veronica Mars had fun additions - "look, James Franco! Jamie Lee Curtis! Seth Rogen!" but that would never work for me with TP, largely because I want to believe the place exists somewhere and a "name" would take me out of that.
dugpa
Site Admin

Post by dugpa »

I'd be up for offspring of TP Actors. Zooey Deschanel, Rashida Jones, Amber Tamblyn. Do agree that unknowns would be best.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Asterisk
Roadhouse Member

Post by Asterisk »

Yeah, I do also agree that we started the show with relative unknowns, so it's good way to continue for any new characters brought in.
TheArm
Great Northern Member

Post by TheArm »

The trick is making this NOT feel like the terrible 90210, Melrose Place and Dallas "sequel" series which aired recently, with a bunch of pretty young men and women who just end up feeling like anemic imitations of the classic characters, while those originals hover around in the background not doing much. I realize that TP and its creators are obviously of a different and much higher caliber than those other nighttime soaps, but it seems like an easy trap for these continuations to get caught in.
"Fire...walk...with...me...MEEE!!!"
Rebel
Great Northern Member

Post by Rebel »

How about Sissy Spacek? 8) she could be Nadine Hurley's sister or The Log Lady's sister just a thought.she's a great actress!
euro
Roadhouse Member

Post by euro »

Rebel wrote:How about Sissy Spacek? 8) she could be Nadine Hurley's sister or The Log Lady's sister just a thought.she's a great actress!
Sissy Spaceck and Piper Laurie ??!?!?!?? :twisted:
Through the darkness of futures past
The magician longs to see
One chants out between two worlds
Fire walk with me
herofix

Post by herofix »

euro wrote:Sissy Spaceck and Piper Laurie ??!?!?!?? :twisted:
BOB1
RR Diner Member

Post by BOB1 »

he he, that's a good one
Rebel wrote:she could be Nadine Hurley's sister or The Log Lady's sister just a thought.
that's nice, too!

All in all I think they'd really hit the nail if they got James Dean to play James Hurley's ghost 8)
Bobi 1 Kenobi

B. Beware
O. Of
B. BOB
Auggeo
Roadhouse Member

Post by Auggeo »

Ive been watching the second season of Hanniball, and it strike me as funny like most of the cast could be in a Lynch film/series.

I mean, ranging from the actor who play hannibal (i always forget his name, but he his amazing) to the detective. Also there is an actress who would connect perfectly with lynch: Amanda Plummer. She has been in some weird films and she kind of remind me of Grace Zabriskie.
philosofish

Post by philosofish »

I think we may see Laura Dern.
^◊^

Post by ^◊^ »

philosofish wrote:I think we may see Laura Dern.