'The Secret History of Twin Peaks' novel by M. Frost 10/18

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

madeleineferguson
RR Diner Member

Re: 'The Secret History of Twin Peaks' novel by M. Frost 10/18

Post by madeleineferguson »

Smiling Bag wrote:Regarding Annie, going out on a DARK limb here, but considering the underlying Laura/Leland incest theme, what if............Norrma is Annie's mother but they SHARE the same father. Perhaps Vivian looked the "other way" at what had happened and that is why the girls have an estranged relationship with her.

I know that is dark, but it just kinda hit me.
Very dark, but you bring up a possibility I hadn't considered before. Chinatown in Twin Peaks. Definitely possible.

I think we've all believed that Carl Rodd was Shelly's father. But he could easily be Norma and/or Annie's father instead.

I'm most interested in discovering the identity of Shelly's mother. Who/Where is she? I've been hoping Candy Clark was playing Colleen Hurley, but perhaps she could be Shelly's mom? Are there any other 60 - 70 year old women on the new cast list? Time for some more Googling.
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

Since Annie (seemingly) won't even be in S3, we might not get any answers to these questions.
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
http://twinpeakssoundtrackdesign.blogspot.com/
Agent Sam Stanley
Bookhouse Member

Re: RE: Re: 'The Secret History of Twin Peaks' novel by M. Frost 10/18

Post by Agent Sam Stanley »

Ross wrote:Since Annie (seemingly) won't even be in S3, we might not get any answers to these questions.
Yeah, not expecting any background info on Annie either. But what happened to her after the hospital scene, that's for sure.
madeleineferguson
RR Diner Member

Post by madeleineferguson »

Ross wrote:Since Annie (seemingly) won't even be in S3, we might not get any answers to these questions.
Ross, I was starting to feel hopeless about Annie Blackburn too... and then that video teaser of the book came out.

Norma's only real connection to the disappearance of Cooper, Project Blue Book and/or the Lodges is through Annie. The inclusion of Norma's Hollywood postcard in the video proves that she's got to be related to it all somehow. The compiler of the dossier didn't include Norma's seemingly oblique postcard for no reason. It's got to be related back to the central mystery, somehow.
laughingpinecone
Great Northern Member

Post by laughingpinecone »

And the RR history from the leaked pages! :o the author is prone to little detours (giving how he included Margaret's eulogy), but... a diner's menu, really? What's that got to do with anything... Finally, it seems, Norma gets dragged into some major plot business!

I always too Black+burn as a hint that the accident that made Annie retreat into convent had the Lodge's mark on it... boyfriend falling prey to some BOB-like possession or something like that...

Oh, and also from the leaked pages: the one pulling receipts on Doug was the author's writing, right? If it's him, it really really doesn't sound like Garland to me...
] The gathered are known by their faces of stone.
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

I am fairly certain they will tell us what became of poor Annie, one way or another.

Kind of hoping Candy Clark plays Harry's wife to whom he's happily married, but I can also see Harry brooding over what the hell happened in Glastonberry Grove for 25 years.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
Panapaok
Bookhouse Member

Post by Panapaok »

There's no way they won't resolve the 'How's Annie' cliffhanger somehow. I'm fairly certain that it will be resolved in the series and not in Mark's novel. No way they'll completely ignore her.
This is - excuse me - a damn fine cup of coffee.
Ped
Roadhouse Member

Post by Ped »

Panapaok wrote:There's no way they won't resolve the 'How's Annie' cliffhanger somehow. I'm fairly certain that it will be resolved in the series and not in Mark's novel. No way they'll completely ignore her.
I really haven't a clue on this one. It 'seems' like Heather Graham will not appear but we have cannot guarantee anything. I don't think they will retcon the Annie character as she's such an important part of Twin Peaks history, whether you like that or not. However, I wouldn't also rule a retcon out. I've been on record here joking that Frost may kill her off in the book in a tragic skiing accident in Vermont. That doesn't sound so out of place now considering what we know about her for the new series!
Where we're from, the birds sing a pretty song, and there's always music in the air.
Panapaok
Bookhouse Member

Post by Panapaok »

They just don't want to explore the character anymore. I bet they'll mention she returned to the convent or something like that. I still leave a 5% chance she'll make a surprise appearance. They can skip characters like John Justice Wheeler or Evelyn but definitely not Annie.
This is - excuse me - a damn fine cup of coffee.
Ped
Roadhouse Member

Post by Ped »

For any fellow Scot's here, it's looking promising that Mark Frost may venture beyond The Wall on his UK book tour. I tweeted him last night saying coming to Scotland would be a dream, and he replied "For me too: my ancestral homeland!"

Fingers crossed :D
Where we're from, the birds sing a pretty song, and there's always music in the air.
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

Is anyone else re bothered by the terminology of Cooper being under Coles 'command'. Isn't that a term uniquely used by the military? To me it sounds awkward coming out of an FBI Director, but maybe I'm wrong.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
beano
Roadhouse Member

Post by beano »

tickets are on sale now for mark frost's event at the roxie in san francisco! price of the ticket includes a copy of the book. ive got mine! so excited.. http://www.brownpapertickets.com/event/2587133
vicksvapor77
Great Northern Member

Post by vicksvapor77 »

Haven't looked in here in a few days but I saw others mentioning Vivian's last name "Smythe" was from perhaps yet another marriage. Did no one like my maiden name idea?

If you assume Mr. and Mrs. Lindstrom from the diner are Norma's grandparents, let's say their son, Mr. Lindstrom, marries Vivian Smythe. After their divorce, Vivian dropped the Lindstrom and kept her maiden name for her career.

Might make sense why Vivian is so callous about the diner toward Norma too, as it ties to her ex-husband's lineage and not her own.
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

vicksvapor77 wrote:Haven't looked in here in a few days but I saw others mentioning Vivian's last name "Smythe" was from perhaps yet another marriage. Did no one like my maiden name idea?

If you assume Mr. and Mrs. Lindstrom from the diner are Norma's grandparents, let's say their son, Mr. Lindstrom, marries Vivian Smythe. After their divorce, Vivian dropped the Lindstrom and kept her maiden name for her career.

Might make sense why Vivian is so callous about the diner toward Norma too, as it ties to her ex-husband's lineage and not her own.
I agree completely with this. It's where Annie and Blackburn come in that is questionable. The date of the postcard is too late for Vivian to remarry and have Annie afterwards.
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
http://twinpeakssoundtrackdesign.blogspot.com/
Clueless
Roadhouse Member

Post by Clueless »

Annie could also have been adapted and discovered her birth parents, subsequently reclaiming her first surname...?

As for the "local flavor" stuff in the dossier- I could see how a lot of the documents could easily be incorporated as "unprocessed" evidence. The double R menu seems like a cutesy but useless piece of information, but say it was found in some long-cold crime scene, like in an abandoned car near a buried body in the woods, it could be matched up to whatever year that particular version of the menu/pricing was used by the Double R to give law enforcement some rough idea about the time-frame of the crime.