'The Secret History of Twin Peaks' novel by M. Frost 10/18

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Gabriel
Great Northern Member

Re: 'The Secret Lives of Twin Peaks' new novel by M. Frost 2

Post by Gabriel »

Rudagger wrote: Someone else posted about the Cooper storyline being resolved off-screen (like Major Briggs rescuing). I personally think it's far too juicy of material to leave off the screen. Perhaps the 25-years-later is the next opportunity the Lodge opens again, even allowing Coops own escape? (I believe the final few episodes suggested the Lodged opened based on some astronomical occurances, so)
I'm not saying the escape should be whitewashed – far from it. Rather the impact on Coop of his traumatic experiences in the Lodge resulted in him leaving the town and he has to go back to Twin Peaks to face the biggest trauma in his life. How he escaped would therefore be a major aspect of the show which is gradually revealed as the series progresses. That would be an interesting hook for me.
Last edited by Gabriel on Mon May 18, 2015 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

I'm cautiously optimistic about this book - but still a little wary, i.e. as someone else said, I hope it doesn't NEED to exist. I don't want it used as a cheap device to explain away a lot of things or "get us up to speed" before the series. I think it should exist as its own thing and the series shouldn't rely on it. I'm looking forward to it, but not as much as the series. I had always hoped Frost would write a TP novel, but back then I also thought the series would never return (though I wanted it to). Now both things have been announced, and I'm more excited about the series. If it was just the novel, sans series, I'd probably be more enthused. I hope it's good.
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

N. Needleman wrote:I didn't realize the whole 'planet of corn'/garmonbozia thing extended back to Frost - I often wondered if it was just the brainchild of Robert Engels and Lynch circa FWWM.

I know Engels (I think it was Engels) made it clear it wasn't a 'planet' per se so much as another place, another dimension.
This is news to me too. I've never seen any mention of Frost connected to that idea before this. If true, that is interesting.
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
PalmerLSL

Post by PalmerLSL »

Any word on release date yet since the whole Showtime-Lynch standoff is over? I would LOVE to read a sample chapter or two soon.
vicksvapor77
Great Northern Member

Post by vicksvapor77 »

Reached out to the publicist for the book and confirmed it IS being published, just in case anyone had doubts.

"Thanks for reaching out. We are publishing, but I don’t yet have a release date, I’m afraid. I’ll let you know as that changes."
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

vicksvapor77 wrote:Reached out to the publicist for the book and confirmed it IS being published, just in case anyone had doubts.

"Thanks for reaching out. We are publishing, but I don’t yet have a release date, I’m afraid. I’ll let you know as that changes."
Thanks much for the update! Hopefully its released this year sometime.
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
http://twinpeakssoundtrackdesign.blogspot.com/
Rudagger
RR Diner Member

Post by Rudagger »

Ross wrote:
vicksvapor77 wrote:Reached out to the publicist for the book and confirmed it IS being published, just in case anyone had doubts.

Thanks much for the update! Hopefully its released this year sometime.
Yeah, originally they said late-2015, though I wonder if it'll get pushed back a few months to release closer to the new season (which I imagine was originally intended to air early 2016, and is probably pushed back to mid-late)
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

Apparently delayed until "next year".

http://baseballhall.org/news/twin-peaks ... l-of-fame/
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Post by Jasper »

Jerry Horne wrote:Apparently delayed until "next year".

http://baseballhall.org/news/twin-peaks ... l-of-fame/
Hmmm. Since it's not an actual quote from Mark Frost, I have to think that there's somewhat of a chance that it's a simple error. Seems like releasing it in November or early December would be the smart thing to do from a business standpoint. On the other hand, the fact that they're doing twice as many episodes as initially announced could mean that some things in the book are altered in one way or another, which could certainly lead to a delay. I'd like it to be out sooner than later, but I can be very patient if it means things getting done right.

*edit*

Aw, man, when I wrote this post I hadn't seen the stuff about Mark Frost saying the show would premiere in 2017. If that's accurate, then this makes a lot more sense. For instance, they might release it in November or early December, but of 2016, rather than 2017.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Surprised there's still no news on the book - at least not that I can find. Makes me wonder if they are delaying the release until after the show, or if it's just a matter of the publishers waiting to get a good idea of when the show will be released, so they can finalize a release date (either before or after) for the book. There is an Amazon.co.uk listing that has October 8, 2015 as a release date but of course that was before the whole delay with Lynch leaving the series briefly, etc.,so that's almost certainly not accurate anymore. It couldn't be, there would be more news so close to the release.

I came across this interesting poll today when looking for news on the book, and I voted "After" but it's not a strong vote - it depends a lot on whether the show is being released in 2016 or 2017. If it's the latter, I might not be able to wait. (And had the book been due out in a couple of weeks time on its original release date, I would have grabbed it there and then!). Though, ideally, as I said in a previous thread I'd rather see the first episode of the new series with fresh eyes, having no knowledge of what's transpired in Twin Peaks in the ensuing 25 years, then dive into the book to fill myself in after that first episode. Probably too idealistic a wish, though - if the book is released first, the desire to "know" would be too strong most likely to overcome!

But anyway...
How do you all vote and what are your thoughts? And is there anyone who would also consider waiting to read the book after the first episode of the show here on the board?

Poll here: http://www.wedgies.com/question/55a5794 ... 0c0000b161

I have a feeling most people will vote "Before" - or so the consensus based on the poll results (screenshot of latest results attached) and board posts here seem to indicate.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2015-09-26 at 15.33.32.png
Screen Shot 2015-09-26 at 15.33.32.png (194.16 KiB) Viewed 10583 times
Rudagger
RR Diner Member

Post by Rudagger »

Jonah wrote:Surprised there's still no news on the book - at least not that I can find. Makes me wonder if they are delaying the release until after the show, or if it's just a matter of the publishers waiting to get a good idea of when the show will be released, so they can finalize a release date (either before or after) for the book. There is an Amazon.co.uk listing that has October 8, 2015 as a release date but of course that was before the whole delay with Lynch leaving the series briefly, etc.,so that's almost certainly not accurate anymore. It couldn't be, there would be more news so close to the release.

I came across this interesting poll today when looking for news on the book, and I voted "After" but it's not a strong vote - it depends a lot on whether the show is being released in 2016 or 2017. If it's the latter, I might not be able to wait. (And had the book been due out in a couple of weeks time on its original release date, I would have grabbed it there and then!). Though, ideally, as I said in a previous thread I'd rather see the first episode of the new series with fresh eyes, having no knowledge of what's transpired in Twin Peaks in the ensuing 25 years, then dive into the book to fill myself in after that first episode. Probably too idealistic a wish, though - if the book is released first, the desire to "know" would be too strong most likely to overcome!

But anyway...
How do you all vote and what are your thoughts? And is there anyone who would also consider waiting to read the book after the first episode of the show here on the board?
It's almost certainly due to the potential delayed airdate for Season 3. I believe during the whole Lynch leaving thing, the publisher said that they were waiting on word from Showtime/Lynch as to what was happening with the book.

Not to be depressing, but, maybe this delay is a good thing. It might give Mark Frost time to delve a bit deeper into the Log Lady's story, given her passing.
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

Rudagger wrote:Not to be depressing, but, maybe this delay is a good thing. It might give Mark Frost time to delve a bit deeper into the Log Lady's story, given her passing.
Also, they might have to write out a couple characters in the book that they weren't planning on.
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
http://twinpeakssoundtrackdesign.blogspot.com/
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

I'd sure love to read the first draft of that book!
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
Mordeen
Great Northern Member

Post by Mordeen »

Ross wrote:
Rudagger wrote:Not to be depressing, but, maybe this delay is a good thing. It might give Mark Frost time to delve a bit deeper into the Log Lady's story, given her passing.
Also, they might have to write out a couple characters in the book that they weren't planning on.
Don't go there. All will be right. They'll pay tribute to those who fall or disappear. And The World will Spin.

-Mordeen
Moving Through Time. . .
LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

Post by LostInTheMovies »

Don't know why I didn't think if this before but how much you want to bet the book is written by Cyril Ponds "as seen by Mark Frost"? Of course I guess that depends his it is written: as faux-nonfiction or as a novel with an omniscient narrator. Or, for that matter, a series if short stories and/or faux memoirs narrated by the characters themselves - hmm, that last option might be my favorite come to think if it. Maybe "as collected by Cyril Ponds" ;)
Last edited by LostInTheMovies on Fri Oct 09, 2015 8:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.