'The Secret History of Twin Peaks' novel by M. Frost 10/18

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Re: 'The Secret History of Twin Peaks' novel by M. Frost 10/18

Post by Soolsma »

Harry's ''what happened to Coop'' archive?

Something to do with the bookhouse boys?

Bluebook? Briggs?
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

I sure hope the 1991 date is a mistake in the press release- and that it remains 98 in the book. That kind of thing will drive me nuts.
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
http://twinpeakssoundtrackdesign.blogspot.com/
Panapaok
Bookhouse Member

Post by Panapaok »

Ross wrote:I sure hope the 1991 date is a mistake in the press release- and that it remains 98 in the book. That kind of thing will drive me nuts.
It's probably the publisher's mistake. They thought 1991 end of the show and 2016 release of the book. But it's true that all the continuity errors that Twin Peaks has, can really drive us nuts. :lol:
This is - excuse me - a damn fine cup of coffee.
krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Post by krishnanspace »

m.hitfix.com/the-dartboard/the-plot-of-mark-frosts-twin-peaks-tie-in-novel-has-finally-been-revealed
It says that the book won't be a part of the old series or new. Don't know what that means
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

Baffled by this as well.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2016-06-21 at 9.37.24 PM.png
Screen Shot 2016-06-21 at 9.37.24 PM.png (33.57 KiB) Viewed 9876 times
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

Yeah- I totally don't understand why they are saying the book isn't connected to the old or new show. Maybe for legal reasons?
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
http://twinpeakssoundtrackdesign.blogspot.com/
Agent Sam Stanley
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Sam Stanley »

Either she got the information wrong or Mark Frost has been lying to us for all these months.
laughingpinecone
Great Northern Member

Post by laughingpinecone »

Their official site still says it will prep fans for the new series, that's a bold claim if the events are not interconnected. Besides - 'old or new'? It sure seems tied to the old one, at the very least!
Has anyone tried reaching out to Frost?
] The gathered are known by their faces of stone.
Tom Glass

Post by Tom Glass »

I think she just simply means, that you don't have to read this book to fully enjoy season 3 or watch previous seasons to fully enjoy this book. I guess exactly the same situation was with the Secret Diary of Laura Palmer - this book give you a lot of information about Laura and Bob but do you really need to read it to enjoy and understand the show? Of course not. It goes both ways - I've read reviews of the Diary from people who had no idea about the show (most of them were young women) and they were amazed by it. I can't imagine it to be honest - but that's another topic:)
laughingpinecone
Great Northern Member

Post by laughingpinecone »

Tom Glass wrote:I think she just simply means, that you don't have to read this book to fully enjoy season 3 or watch previous seasons to fully enjoy this book. I guess exactly the same situation was with the Secret Diary of Laura Palmer - this book give you a lot of information about Laura and Bob but do you really need to read it to enjoy and understand the show? Of course not. It goes both ways - I've read reviews of the Diary from people who had no idea about the show (most of them were young women) and they were amazed by it. I can't imagine it to be honest - but that's another topic:)
But that's true for all tie-ins! The only one I can think of where you'd be lost without having read the books is Myst, which is famously a series for nerds. I expect you're absolutely right with the Diary comparison, anyway. It expands, without being required reading. Maybe the dossier will even be mentioned in the show, but still won't be required knowledge...

I'm guessing Ross got it right and it's simply a legal issue? How else does this scenario make sense? (Also taking the claims of their official site into account. They said all that stuff not us)
] The gathered are known by their faces of stone.
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

It's just wording. The book is explicitly meant as a tie-in and introduction to the new show. They're probably trying to say it's all original material vs. some adaptation. Not a big deal.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
dugpa
Site Admin

Post by dugpa »

My prediction based solely on the French synopsis. Dern is Diane and the Archivist. Watts is the female FBI agent.
dugpa
Site Admin

Post by dugpa »

I think perhaps instead of trunk they likely meant briefcase. Files wouldn't likely be kept in a briefcase. Also I wonder if they meant to state that incidents related to the investigation of the Laura Palmer murder remain opened versus the entire case being unsolved.
Panapaok
Bookhouse Member

Post by Panapaok »

It's pretty clear what they mean. It's novel that you don't have to read so as to watch the old or the new series. It stands on its own. Maybe they're afraid that if they call it a 'tie-in', people will be confused and they won't know if it's a prerequisite or not, which definitely isn't.
This is - excuse me - a damn fine cup of coffee.
FullBlossomOfTheEve

Post by FullBlossomOfTheEve »

dugpa wrote:I think perhaps instead of trunk they likely meant briefcase. Files wouldn't likely be kept in a briefcase. Also I wonder if they meant to state that incidents related to the investigation of the Laura Palmer murder remain opened versus the entire case being unsolved.
Well the word used here "coffre" means "a safe ", my bad (again, I should have known that you guys would dissect that thing in details !)

It clearly says that the Palmer case is stil unsolved but I have the feeling that this french synopsis has been badly translated from a text gave by the US publisher.