What I want to know is...

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

wallydanger
Roadhouse Member

What I want to know is...

Post by wallydanger »

When Donna took Agent Cooper to old Mrs Tremond's house there was a woman in her 50s living there (and she was dressed like she lived in the 1950s and her living room was like a 50s time capsule). So why did Donna have a meal scheduled to be delivered at that address?

So, did Mrs. Tremond's grandson work a magic trick to cause meals to get delived to the Tremond house? Or what? When she knocks on her door, she says "Hello? Mrs. Tremond? Meals On Wheels. Hello?"

Was the meal she delivered to Mrs. Tremond actually meant for Harold? Because the day she saw the creamed corn disappear she did not have a meal to deliver to Harold. But after that, she delivered meals to Harold.

This question about the two Mrs. Tremonds is one I've never seen discussed, possibly because there isn't really an answer. But I'd love to hear theories.

After the creamed corn trick Donna says she'll be back the next day with lunch and will pick up the first tray she left. When she brings Cooper there it's about a week after her first visit. We aren't actually told if she saw the first Mrs. Tremond more than once, except that Coop says "But you deliver meals here". It seems Donna would have noticed immediately that the interior of the house was completely different right away, since old Mrs Tremond's bed was straight ahead from the door. When she goes there with Coop the interior of the house, that is the floorplan and configuration of the rooms and windows, is completely changed, not just the decor.

BTW, it appears that the same green formica table we see in FWWM in the scene above the convenience store, with MFAP and Bob, is near the door at Mrs. Tremond's #2. And it seems that Cooper gives it a long stare.

When Donna sees the creamed corn disappear, I think it's the first time that something really bizarre happens to someone not having a dream or vision. Likewise, when she takes Coop there and we see the house has changed, it's hard evidence that reality is being "played with".
"Do you see creamed corn on that plate?"
> Enter The Lodge
wallydanger
Roadhouse Member

Post by wallydanger »

YES! I can make screenshots. I had to find software that would allow me to, since I was unable before after spending many hours trying to unsucessfully.

After carefully scrutinizing the interior shots of Tremond #1 and Tremond #2, I suppose they can be the same floorplan. They are shot with different lenses that make the Tremond #1 room appear larger and the Tremond #2 room appear smaller. I had thought the rooms had changed sizes along with the decor, but now I think not. It still appears that the interior of Tremond's #2 is smaller.

The blue & green flowered curtain at the back may not be hung against the wall, shortening the room somewhat as well. In fact, it looks like it's hung right in the center of that back window.

<EDIT: ratio corrected<
Last edited by wallydanger on Sat Apr 28, 2007 2:43 pm, edited 3 times in total.
> Enter The Lodge
Annie
Global Moderator

Post by Annie »

Nice job, wallydanger! But I can't explain it. Just experience the changes as another Lynch moment.
Keep your eye on the doughnut, not on the hole.
Shelly_Johnson

Post by Shelly_Johnson »

excellent job on those stills! wow!

as to the two Mrs Tremonds i have a small (all be it shakey at best ) but my theroy is that Mrs Tremond is from the white lodge...

can someone help me recall if only Donna and Laura where the only two to see Mrs Tremond and her grandson? dident David Bowies character ( Phillip Jefferies ) see them as well? or was it Chris Issac's character ( Chester Desmond ) that saw them? ....i need to watch FWWM again....

if Donna and Larua were the only two to ever see Mrs Tremond and her grandson, i find that intresting as well.
"I am hard to remember but impossiable to forget"
Simon

Post by Simon »

I also need to rewatch FWWM, but as I remember:
Mrs Tremond's grandson is in the place (above the convenience store?) which Philip Jeffries (Bowie) describes to Cooper, Gordon and Albert. He also appears at the end (to no one in particular, as I recall), when he puts the white mask over his face and turns in to a monkey who says "Judy?"
(Typing out a description of that scene made it seem even weirder than actually watching it!)
I don't recall seeing Mrs Tremond in those scenes though.

As for explanations... no idea. Sorry! Not everything in Twin Peaks makes sense!
wallydanger
Roadhouse Member

Post by wallydanger »

Shelly_Johnson wrote: if Donna and Larua were the only two to ever see Mrs Tremond and her grandson, i find that intresting as well.
If Laura had been the only one to see them it would be possible to explain them as hallucinations or visions. But because Donna actually had a meal delivery there, saw the creamed corn vanish (especially the way it happened) and then saw the different Mrs Tremond with a different house a few days later, it's proof that the unreal was real.

Usually in Lynch's work the bizarre can be explained as being visual representations of psychological manifestations. I've had extended online discussions (arguments) with people on whether Bob was real (in Twin Peaks, of course) or existed in Laura's mind as a manifestation of her abuse. But the experience Donna has at the Tremond house proves that, in Twin Peaks, anything is possible. There's something really strange going on, and it's not explainable the way the weird stuff in 'Lost Highway' and 'Mulholland Drive' are, as psychgenic fugues or such.

This is why the experience of Donna with the Tremonds is so key, and important to me. It's proof, for us the audience, that something supernatural is going on.
Shelly_Johnson wrote:excellent job on those stills! wow!
Hey, thanks. My very first. It seems the aspect ratio is off. That is correctable in paint, but I need to find out how to capture frames in the correct ratio. Those first scenes are very dark so I edited them with "adaptive lighting", a software miracle that can bring out all kinds of detail and color where it seems there is none.
> Enter The Lodge