Twin Peaks scene identification help!

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

edmoriarty

Twin Peaks scene identification help!

Post by edmoriarty »

Hello all, Sorry if this is a dumb question, but someone has described a scene in Twin Peaks, and I am trying to find it based on this rough description:

"a girl/woman is singing a song/ballad, and we cut to a long montage of images/scenes of other characters in the series crying etc, as the song continues; it's as if the song goes into the hearts and minds of all the characters in the town"

Can anyone help tell me where this scene occurs, what the song is, the character names etc?

Many thanks!
BOB1
RR Diner Member

Re: Twin Peaks scene identification help!

Post by BOB1 »

Why, it's a very good question. In my opinion someone meant the "World Spins" scene from the ending of Ep.14. Even if the description is very inaccurate (it's neither a cut or montage nor is it long), still I think it does capture the core of what the song does... going into the hearts and minds of characters... doesn't it?

For the record: the scene takes place in the Roadhouse, Julee Cruisse is singing "The World Spins", Donna Hayward is crying, Bobby Briggs isn't crying but he looks like he's having an emotional breakdown, too, and agent Cooper is deeply moved by something he cannot understand but he is so sorry.
Bobi 1 Kenobi

B. Beware
O. Of
B. BOB
euro
Roadhouse Member

Post by euro »

Through the darkness of futures past
The magician longs to see
One chants out between two worlds
Fire walk with me
Audrey Horne
Lodge Member

Post by Audrey Horne »

I bet they are actually talking about the Falling video.
God, I love this music. Isn't it too dreamy?
BOB1
RR Diner Member

Post by BOB1 »

Could be. Didn't think about it as I saw it only once.
I still think it's the World Spins but now I'm wondering - euro, can you provide us with the 'correct' answer, according to the person who asked?
Bobi 1 Kenobi

B. Beware
O. Of
B. BOB
harmolodic
Roadhouse Member

Post by harmolodic »

They are definitely talking about The World Spins scene after Leland/BOB kill Maddy. No doubt about it. That's probably the single most powerful scene in all of Twin Peaks. Lynch at his most intuitive, artistic best.
hopesfall
RR Diner Member

Post by hopesfall »

harmolodic wrote:They are definitely talking about The World Spins scene after Leland/BOB kill Maddy. No doubt about it. That's probably the single most powerful scene in all of Twin Peaks. Lynch at his most intuitive, artistic best.
I agree. I get a feeling watching that scene which is indescribable and like nothing I've felt before or since. That may sound clichéd but it's true. It's just the way everyone gravitates to the Roadhouse and it's quite joyous to begin with, almost serene. James and Donna are re-kindling their romance, her singing to him, even the log lady is tapping her log along to the music. Cooper is being intuitive as ever, noticing Bobby at the bar, watching the sailor-uniformed group drinking, etc. Then it happens again.

The giant makes Cooper aware of this. Something is in the air, and a sorrowful melancholy descends on the venue. Donna is crying, James looks confused, Bobby looks around sensing that something is definitely wrong, also seemingly on the verge of tears. All the while Maddy is falling prey to the lodge entity, Bob.

I've never witnessed a scene so haunting, frightening, violent, and yet also containing enough beauty and resonance to make me want to watch it over and over, but i don't in case the magic wears off! :)
Audrey Horne
Lodge Member

Post by Audrey Horne »

if that were the case, don't you think the person would probably also you know, maybe er, um, have an impression of something else with that scene -like some guy brutally murdering a girl in the middle of the scene.
hopesfall
RR Diner Member

Post by hopesfall »

I was agreeing with how powerful the scene is. I can't vouch for what scene OP is referring to, for sure. :)
harmolodic
Roadhouse Member

Post by harmolodic »

Audrey Horne wrote:if that were the case, don't you think the person would probably also you know, maybe er, um, have an impression of something else with that scene -like some guy brutally murdering a girl in the middle of the scene.
Memory is, er, um, fickle. Their description pretty much completely describes the scene after the song begins. The killing is before the song.
Audrey Horne
Lodge Member

Post by Audrey Horne »

true. it was just seemed like that was too easy an answer to the riddle. I mean what else could it be than that scene.
chalfont
Roadhouse Member

Post by chalfont »

Read a theory once on why Donna and Booby get so emotional during that song; it is Laura singing to them...... :wink:
Can't remember all of that theory, just remember I liked it....
LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

Post by LostInTheMovies »

Yes. If there's one scene that sums up what Twin Peaks is all about, it's that scene.

The whole sequence is just sheer brilliance, from Sarah crawling on the floor onward (you could go back to the Log Lady appearing in that station, but then you'd have to include Tojamura's reveal, which is wonderfully executed but doesn't exactly belong to this movement - except as a parodic counterpoint of a "reveal" I guess). I'm working on the part of my video series that deals with that right now actually. After an initial montage, some narration discussing how Lynch & Frost guided us to this point, and only a VERY quick flash from the murder itself (the sequence is so powerful I don't like video tributes/documentaries to incorporate it unless they can do full justice) I plan to let that entire sequence just play out in full. It can't be summed up/evoked/described/explained in words - it's just a beautiful feeling Lynch creates through the marriage of sound and image.

You know - to be perfectly honest - great as several more seasons would have been, if the premature killer's reveal means we get episodes 14, 29, and Fire Walk With Me I'd take that over a dozen more excellent season one-caliber seasons.
BOB1
RR Diner Member

Post by BOB1 »

harmolodic wrote: probably the single most powerful scene in all of Twin Peaks. Lynch at his most intuitive, artistic best.
oh yes!
hopesfall wrote:I agree.
(...)
I've never witnessed a scene so haunting, frightening, violent, and yet also containing enough beauty and resonance to make me want to watch it over and over, but i don't in case the magic wears off! :)
agree and agree and agree! :)
seemed like that was too easy an answer to the riddle
depends who asked the question, doesn't it? to people who relive it all over again - on a board like here or just regularly rewatching - it seems easy. But I'm thinking about someone who considered himself a fan, even a big fan, but is not a person who tends to come back to things from the past too much... Friends who shared my passion 20-25 years ago were really Peaks-crazy, and they did watch many episodes many times. But it's quite likely they haven't seen an episode for instance since the mid-90s or late 90s. Someone here pointed out that memory plays tricks on you.
I'm very curious where the question came from. I'm guessing another message board, not connected with Twin Peaks or Lynch, where (perhaps inspired by the news) someone started a thread like "do you remember this great show 25 years ago..." and they started to bring out memories and then perhaps someone started a guessing game... :)
Bobi 1 Kenobi

B. Beware
O. Of
B. BOB
Audrey Horne
Lodge Member

Post by Audrey Horne »

Definitely. I was just crabby this morning. Don't mind me.