Favorite episodes (and directors) of Twin Peaks

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

Favorite episodes (and directors) of Twin Peaks

Post by LostInTheMovies »

Inspired by Jasper's comment on another thread about Tim Hunter I thought I'd pose this question here. Like most people, my favorite moments of the show tend to be Lynch-directed but other directors have high points as well. Who is your favorite non-Lynch director and what are your favorite non-Lynch episodes?

Hell, if you want, what are your top 5/10 episodes, period? (I'm guessing 29 & 14 will feature highest though I'd be interested to see how many rank the pilot third or even first or second).

(So much for keeping myself from getting distracted by forums today...)

Oh and I guess I'll go first:

Favorite director is Lesli Linka Glatter. Her first three episodes are among my favorites (though I consider her last a disappointment). I love Tim Hunter's S1 episode (maybe my favorite non-Lynch of the season) and moments in ep. 16 but much of 16 & 27 don't really work for me. I don't think Todd Holland got the most well-written episodes (and sometimes he goes overboard) but I love his intros, especially the very Lynchian visual of ep. 11. The funeral episode has really grown in me - it has some wonderfully lush colors (though even Rathborne herself says she didn't know what to do with ep. 17; can you blame her?). Caleb Deschanel does some superb work (I really like the sound work in ep. 6) and I have a real soft spot for the James Foley episode which fels like a breath of clear, fresh air after a really rough patch.

Also, because I usually see this episode criticized I want to stick up for Graeme Clifford's economical work in episode 12. Some of Harold's reactions admittedly play silly (especially the rake on his face) but there's also some superb moments between Donna and Harold (her story about Laura and their moment together in the greenhouse) which perfectly captures the spirit of Twin Peaks. And One-Eyed Jack's interest me for the first time in several episodes (admittedly the plotting has something to do with that, but I do love the Steadicam shots in the hallways).

Favorite Lynch episodes:
1. Episode 29 (Season 2 Finale)
2. Episode 14 (The Killer's Reveal)
3. Episode 2 (The Red Room)
4. Episode 9 (Bob's Couch)
5. The Pilot
6. Episode 8 (Season 2 Premiere)

On another day I could probably switch 3 & 4. Same goes for 5 & 6.

Favorite non-Lynch episodes:
1. Episode 13 (meet Mike)
2. Episode 4 (meet Philip)
3. Episode 5 (cabins in the woods)
4. Episode 10 (meet Harold)
5. Episode 3 (Laura's Funeral)
Last edited by LostInTheMovies on Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ross
Global Moderator

Re: Favorite episodes (and directors) of Twin Peaks

Post by Ross »

LostInTheMovies wrote:Also, because I usually see this episode criticized I want to stick up for Graeme Clifford's economical work in episode 12. Some of Harold's reactions admittedly play silly (especially the rake on his face) but there's also some superb moments between Donna and Harold (her story about Laura and their moment together in the greenhouse) which perfectly captures the spirit of Twin Peaks.
Those are two of my favorite scenes. And to me, really showcase LFB at her best.

Favorite Lynch episodes:
1. Episode 14 (Killer Revealed)
2. Episode 29 (Season 2 Finale)
3. The Pilot
4. Episode 8 (Season 2 Premiere)
5. Episode 9
6. Episode 2

1. Episode 16 (Tim Hunter)
2. Episode 13 (Lesli Linka Glatter)
3. Episode 10 (Lesli Linka Glatter)
4. Episode 12 (Graeme Clifford)
5. Episode 25 (Duwayne Dunham) Because the RR scene is probably my favorite scene in the series.
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
http://twinpeakssoundtrackdesign.blogspot.com/
LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

Ross wrote:
LostInTheMovies wrote:Also, because I usually see this episode criticized I want to stick up for Graeme Clifford's economical work in episode 12. Some of Harold's reactions admittedly play silly (especially the rake on his face) but there's also some superb moments between Donna and Harold (her story about Laura and their moment together in the greenhouse) which perfectly captures the spirit of Twin Peaks.
Those are two of my favorite scenes. And to me, really showcase LFB at her best.
Agreed. I really like Moira Kelly in FWWM (and find it hard to imagine Boyle in that particular incarnation of Donna) and sometimes the character development in the series frustrates me (although there's a case to be made that's a good thing). But her work in Peaks is generally underrated. I also live her scenes with Audrey; the tension is palpable but it makes for a strangely appealing chemistry.
Favorite Lynch episodes:
1. Episode 14 (Killer Revealed)
2. Episode 29 (Season 2 Finale)
3. The Pilot
4. Episode 8 (Season 2 Premiere)
5. Episode 9
6. Episode 2

1. Episode 16 (Tim Hunter)
2. Episode 13 (Lesli Linka Glatter)
3. Episode 10 (Lesli Linka Glatter)
4. Episode 12 (Graeme Clifford)
5. Episode 25 (Duwayne Dunham) Because the RR scene is probably my favorite scene in the series.
Ha, yeah I almost included that episode as well, because of that scene. There's other good stuff too of course - Gordon Cole's arrival ("BANZAI!!!"), the Owl Cave visit in a cheesy kind of way, and though many fans might disagree I actually quite like Cooper's scene with Annie in the Great Northern bar.

I'm also probably the only person besides Cooper and Annie who thinks his penguin joke is actually funny but so be it...
LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

Just noticed something re: episode 9. Lynch cuts back and forth 3 times between Andy either tape on his forehead and the major turning to look at him. Obviously multiple takes, and rather than choose one Lynch chose several. Hilarious, and he does the same thing in ep. 8 when Andy gets hit by the plank (although the continuity with Maj. Briggs than with Albert).
qbin2001
Great Northern Member

Post by qbin2001 »

Favorite Lynch episodes:
2. Episode 8 (Season 2 Premiere)
3. Episode 14 (Killer Revealed)
4. Episode 9
5. Episode 2
6. The Pilot

From the rest episodes I only mention that I really love the one directed by Diane Keaton. I realize that not many fans like it, the screenplay was weak, but I love the work Diane did. Lots of absurd humor, make me laugh every time I watch it.
LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

qbin2001 wrote:Favorite Lynch episodes:
2. Episode 8 (Season 2 Premiere)
3. Episode 14 (Killer Revealed)
4. Episode 9
5. Episode 2
6. The Pilot

From the rest episodes I only mention that I really love the one directed by Diane Keaton. I realize that not many fans like it, the screenplay was weak, but I love the work Diane did. Lots of absurd humor, make me laugh every time I watch it.
I've heard that at the time it was acclaimed as a return to form, I guess because it was so stridently bizarre in style (after a run of episodes that seem more concerned with situational comedy/drama than visual atmosphere - except for Todd Holland's sci-fi opening). Personally I find it too on-the-nose "weird-for-weird's-sake" but there have been times on series run-throughs where I've found it refreshing to be presented with something different after wading through episodes that feel like they've lost the flavor of Twin Peaks (this isn't THAT flavor but at least its A flavor). Then again on other viewings I've considered it the worst of the show, a chore to sit through so...who knows. You get the sense that on episodes 17-23 they were really just throwing everything against the wall to see what stuck and not much did.
Last edited by LostInTheMovies on Sat Oct 25, 2014 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Audrey Horne
Lodge Member

Post by Audrey Horne »

Who acclaimed or disclaimed it at the time. I barely remember any Twin Peaks reviews besides blurbs in TV Guide or EW during Feb 1991. It was getting buried.

Leaving Lynch off the table, I have a hard time for favorite directors. That first season they were all working together to some degrees, helping one another out. And that first season really is nine hours of perfect television.

If I had to choose, I think Lelsie Linka Glatter is my choice. Episode six in the second season is a perfect episode for a big non event. It would be the template I would have shown all directors and the writers to follow if Lynch isn't directing.

If I had to pick the most quintessential episode by Lynch, I'm going with the third one. It has the most classic scenes and all the characters are shown in their personal glorious strengths. The Horne Brothers at their most hilarious sinister; Bobby and Mike in full thug mode menaced by an even scarier Leo; the wholesome Norman Rockwell vibe of the Haywards; Audrey at her most quirky and ethereal; Cooper and the rock throw; the introduction to Albert; Leland dancing with the broken picture frame; and something about a dream at the end and the declaration, "I know who killed Laura Palmer."

If I had to tell someone to watch one episode to understand the show at its most perfect, that's the one.
God, I love this music. Isn't it too dreamy?
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

LostInTheMovies wrote:
qbin2001 wrote:From the rest episodes I only mention that I really love the one directed by Diane Keaton. I realize that not many fans like it, the screenplay was weak, but I love the work Diane did. Lots of absurd humor, make me laugh every time I watch it.
I've heard that at the time it was acclaimed as a return to form, I guess because it was so stridently bizarre in style (after a run of episodes that seem more concerned with situational comedy/drama than visual atmosphere - except for Todd Holland's sci-fi opening). Personally I find it too on-the-nose "weird-for-weird's-sake" but there have been times on series run-throughs where I've found it refreshing to be presented with something different after wading through episodes that feel lie they've lost the flavor of Twin Peaks (this isn't THAT flavor but at least its A flavor). Then again on other viewings I've considered it the worst of the show, a chore to sit through so...who knows.
Audrey Horne wrote:Who acclaimed or disclaimed it at the time. I barely remember any Twin Peaks reviews besides blurbs in TV Guide or EW during Feb 1991. It was getting buried.
Well, even though TP was already being ignored, Keaton directing did make news at the time (she also directed an episode of China Beach), and for years her episode was praised. It wasn't until much more recently that I learned that many fans don't like it- or consider it the worst episode. For me, the good mostly outweighs the stuff that doesn't quite work. There is definitely some sense of her trying too hard to be arty or weird. But there is some stylish things about it that I really like. I love the opening chess piece credits (with a great mix of Earle's Motif). The slow mo close up of Evelyn. The framing in the Big Ed & Norma scene. The final scene with Cooper and the mask. All of those are quite good imo. She does go overboard in some places, but it did seem to shake things up.
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
http://twinpeakssoundtrackdesign.blogspot.com/
Audrey Horne
Lodge Member

Post by Audrey Horne »

It wasn't a dig or anything, I'm a huge Keaton fan. One of my favorite actors since I was very little. I just legitimately didn't remember anything being promoted or praised at that time, and I was going through everything, nerdily saving every clipping and article I could get my hands on. I remember being shocked and surprised when her name popped up on the credits when it aired.

I know now there was a Sherilyn interview on E! talking about her directing an upcoming episode, so I guess there was some press.
God, I love this music. Isn't it too dreamy?
oldforce
Roadhouse Member

Post by oldforce »

Audrey Horne wrote: If I had to tell someone to watch one episode to understand the show at its most perfect, that's the one.
I think it's clearly the best hour long episode, and perhaps the single best hour of television I've ever seen, yup.
LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

Audrey Horne wrote:Who acclaimed or disclaimed it at the time. I barely remember any Twin Peaks reviews besides blurbs in TV Guide or EW during Feb 1991. It was getting buried.
Well, I said "heard that" because I've only seen anecdotal evidence - a fan on another board mentioned that at the time many people considered it the beginning of a comeback. I'll admit I was a bit surprised at that notion. The only confirmed rave I have is from Ed Siegel of the Boston Globe who wrote, a few months later when the last episode was to air: "The series would have good moments and occasional good episodes, like the one directed by [Diane] Keaton, and when Lynch returned to bring Leland Palmer face to face, literally, with his inner evil, one hoped that "Twin Peaks" had returned to abnormal." (http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1P2-7663982.html - I used a free trial to access it & other Peaks articles this spring). Siegel's opinion on what was good and bad was pretty weird though, as he believed the show's decline began with Episode 2!
If I had to pick the most quintessential episode by Lynch, I'm going with the third one. It has the most classic scenes and all the characters are shown in their personal glorious strengths. The Horne Brothers at their most hilarious sinister; Bobby and Mike in full thug mode menaced by an even scarier Leo; the wholesome Norman Rockwell vibe of the Haywards; Audrey at her most quirky and ethereal; Cooper and the rock throw; the introduction to Albert; Leland dancing with the broken picture frame; and something about a dream at the end and the declaration, "I know who killed Laura Palmer."
Agreed. Indeed, I'd say it's the quintessential episode of the first season, maybe the show (at least the show as most people see it, for better or worse). It's also the only one where Lynch seems purely set on having a good time - there are dark or spooky moments to be sure, but nothing that feels as jarring as the stuff in episodes 8, 9, 14, and 29 (all of which I love - but it is nice to see him on a lark as well).
If I had to tell someone to watch one episode to understand the show at its most perfect, that's the one.
Yup. I often tell people who are having trouble with the pilot or whatever, watch it through the dream sequence. If you don't like it then you never will but at least give it till then to hook you.
LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

Ross wrote:But there is some stylish things about it that I really like. I love the opening chess piece credits (with a great mix of Earle's Motif). The slow mo close up of Evelyn. The framing in the Big Ed & Norma scene. The final scene with Cooper and the mask. All of those are quite good imo. She does go overboard in some places, but it did seem to shake things up.
The Ed & Norma scene and the mask are the highlights for me, I think. Often Ed and Norma get lost in the shuffle, and I'll admit I've often gotten restless during their (and Nadine's) scenes but there's real heart there and Keaton gets to it. Also absolutely love their scene in the Missing Pieces. What a beautiful moment. And the mask is a great visual.
LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

oldforce wrote:
Audrey Horne wrote: If I had to tell someone to watch one episode to understand the show at its most perfect, that's the one.
I think it's clearly the best hour long episode, and perhaps the single best hour of television I've ever seen, yup.
I love that episode - and I think it's the perfect gateway into Twin Peaks...but ultimately my favorites are the ones that go further than you'd ever think possible (i.e. 14 & especially 29). Sometimes I think it's a pity that Episode 2 overshadows the other episodes to such a great extent. A lot of the media coverage now that Twin Peaks is back makes it sound as if the show peaked there (I even know people who watched up to that episode on Netflix and said they stopped because they heard it was all downhill after!). None of which is a strike against that episode of course which was definitely the one that hooked me on my first run-through and made me realize this was probably going to be my favorite series ever. It is, excuse me, a damn fine hour of television.

It's also probably the episode I'd be most likely to view as a stand-alone on a repeat basis (indeed, I bought a used VHS tape a few years back which was, believe it or not, the only Twin Peaks I owned - aside from the movie - until this year...)
BOB1
RR Diner Member

Post by BOB1 »

Well and for me it wouldn't work (if I was this person whom you chose to show one single episode). In Ep. 2 I like a lot of things but in its whole it's perhaps even my least favourite of all Season1 - apart from the fact that I wholeheartedly agree with AudreyHorne that it is
really is nine hours of perfect television.
My choice of Lynch episodes has changed visibly during the years. In the old times that I recently described in LostInTheMovies's thread Ep.29 would be faaar away in front of the others. But it drifted away from me and I am not so much into it now. And the Season 1 Pilot would be definitely ahead of Season 2 Opening. And now I'd say this:

1. Episode 8 (yes, definitely)
2. Ep. 14
3. Ep. 29
4. The Pilot
5. Ep. 2
6. Ep. 9

And non-Lynch? The top5 of episodes looks easier than actually telling which directors I liked most. Because I don't really see anything particularly characteristic about anyone's style (perhaps Lesli L-G the most, that's probably why she turns up here so much), however the episodes I really like. Actually in my top 10 list of all Peaks there would most probably be more non-Lynch than Lynch. So I'll start with this:

1. Episode 16 (Tim Hunter) - far, far, far. Everything is very good, a lot of things are excellent (Donna reading the dream, Leland/BOB-Donna dance, Donna-James "this is no good" scene, stormy Roadhouse, Leland revealed...) and Leland's confession is my favourite scene in all Twin Peaks, sorry Dave ;)

2. Episode 7 (Mark Frost) - I realise that it's usually not so popular. In my book it was always BIG. I totally love everything about it. The style, the visuals (jeez, this Nadine blanket is waving inside my head!!), the so intense atmosphere. And then the unbelievable amount of what's happening! I would hype Episode 5 for the magnificent triple-cliffhanger but why, in Ep.7 every second scene is a cliffhanger worthy of finishing a great episode!

3/4. Ep. 6 and Ep. 15 (Caleb Deschanel) - Deschanel got two in-the-meantime episodes; Eps 6 and 7 is one night (unlike any other episode until the finale!) and all the most important stuff comes for Ep.7, Episode 15 is between two killers. And yet he made two masterpieces which not only keep the level, maintain the mood and grow the fascination but also manage to create their own trademarks. The policemen listening to late Waldo's recording and Louise Dombrowski's dance are among the very best scenes in all the series.

5. Ep. 4 (Hunter) or 5 (Linka Glatter) - depending on different things I like this or that better. Love both! :)

But I didn't love the fact that I had to omit from this list episodes 3 and 13, 22 and 23 (yes yes, I am a fan!), 26 and 27... Bah! I really do like lots of non-Lynch episodes a lot! And I am very surprised indeed to see some people here who openly speak about their fondness of the Diane Keaton episode. On Twin Peaks Gazette it was an obvious thing to diss it :mrgreen: Ah, BOB 1, the freak who likes Ep.22... well, everyone's entitled to being a weirdo... ;)
Ross wrote:For me, the good mostly outweighs the stuff that doesn't quite work. There is definitely some sense of her trying too hard to be arty or weird. But there is some stylish things about it that I really like. I love the opening chess piece credits (with a great mix of Earle's Motif). The slow mo close up of Evelyn. The framing in the Big Ed & Norma scene. The final scene with Cooper and the mask. All of those are quite good imo. She does go overboard in some places, but it did seem to shake things up.
That is exactly what I would say!
Bobi 1 Kenobi

B. Beware
O. Of
B. BOB
BOB1
RR Diner Member

Post by BOB1 »

LostInTheMovies wrote: I often tell people who are having trouble with the pilot.
Do such people exist? :shock:
Bobi 1 Kenobi

B. Beware
O. Of
B. BOB