Part 2 of Journey Through Twin Peaks: The Center Cannot Hold

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Audrey Horne
Lodge Member

Re: Part 2 of Journey Through Twin Peaks: The Center Cannot

Post by Audrey Horne »

That was outstanding. A joy to watch, making me remember why I loved the show to begin with. While watching it I kept saying to myself wow this is such a perfect cast and the most wonderfully crafted, created characters imagined. How could it go so wrong? And then on cue, you state "what could go wrong."

And yes, yes... Love the closing side by side montage.
God, I love this music. Isn't it too dreamy?
LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

Post by LostInTheMovies »

Audrey Horne wrote:That was outstanding. A joy to watch, making me remember why I loved the show to begin with. While watching it I kept saying to myself wow this is such a perfect cast and the most wonderfully crafted, created characters imagined. How could it go so wrong? And then on cue, you state "what could go wrong."

And yes, yes... Love the closing side by side montage.
Yeah! The more times I watch the show, the more I realize how much I enjoy pretty much all the characters and actors...yet I do not enjoy all the stories. Like Dick Tremayne, for example...I don't think I ever disliked the character, even if I felt he may not have fit in with the show and found that subplot tedious. Even Windom Earle, whom I think is just too over-the-top, I actually quite like a lot of the stuff Kenneth Welsh does with him. Lot of juice in that performance. And Nadine has really been growing on me over time: I would say she may have been my least favorite part of the series on first view. But Wendy Robie just really nails that character, even when she's at her most ridiculous. There's something so human and hilarious and poignant about her and you can see why Lynch in particular was drawn to the character.

It's a very talented group of people in front of and behind the camera. I can't even fingerpoint at Peyton and Engels, who are the most directly responsible for the mess of mid-season 2 but also authors of some of the best bits in the series. They were up against a very difficult situation and the impression I get is that neither of them particularly wanted the responsibilities they were handed: Peyton in particular is quite eloquent about loving dialogue and character moments, but wishing Frost could have hung in there better with the overall plotting instead of leaving so much to him.

Twin Peaks is one of those works where it just feels like a perfect storm hit. And also, I've come to realize that all the stuff I like best is kind of interwoven with the stuff I don't like so much. You can't have the good without the bad...a very Lynchian lesson. And the more I learn about it, the more intrigued I am by the Lynch-Frost collaboration. Despite their overlapping humor and interest in the offbeat, these are two people with quite distinct worldviews, narrative visions, and creative sensibilities. I think even the tensions informed their work; so many of Lynch's subsequent themes first emerged during creative differences with Frost.

On another note, as much fun as I'm having with this section I also keep itching to jump ahead into FWWM, even "sneaking" little bits of work on it haha. I suspect that Part 4 will go up very quickly after Part 3. Though I know you're not the biggest fan of that part of Twin Peaks, hopefully you'll enjoy/get something from that entry too - one thing I'm realizing as I delve into the mythology and psychodrama of the latter half of season two is how it overlaps & bleeds into the film in subtle and interesting ways. Not to get too far ahead of myself, but the Dweller on the Threshold concept, something that Frost by all accounts brought to the table, became a big part not just of the season finale (moreso than scripted, ironically) but also FWWM and ALL of Lynch's later films - hell, even The Straight Story! (It's already kind of present in Blue Velvet, but in a more indirect way.)
Last edited by LostInTheMovies on Tue Dec 02, 2014 10:07 pm, edited 4 times in total.
LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

Re: 1st video of Part 3 - The Ensemble

bosguy1981 wrote:
LostInTheMovies wrote:Ok, because Part 3 is taking a bit longer than expected, I'm sharing chapters individually as they go up. Which might be a better approach anyway, since this part is going to be so long.

First up is "Chapter 12: Beyond the Investigation (the ensemble)." It pauses from the chronological approach (as several chapters will in Pt. 3) to examine what everyone else has been up to in town, now that the investigation is winding down:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZaw-XHtdac

Enjoy! I will wait until Part 3 is complete to start a new thread.
I just watched Chapter 12. Great work on this one. And I really loved the closing montage set to "I Remember." Very, very effective.
Thanks. That was weirdly fun to do: a critique of one of the least enjoyable parts of the show (for me anyway) that was quite enjoyable to create haha.
LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

Anyone who has experience with fair use/intellectual property is invited to contact me via PM or at my email (movieman0283 at gmail). Have some relevant and time-sensitive questions regarding this topic. Thanks.
bosguy1981
Great Northern Member

Post by bosguy1981 »

I'm sorry to hear YouTube has been giving you trouble with some of these. The work is so fantastic and it'd be a shame if people didn't get to see all of these. Looking forward to the dead dogs and drawer pulls!
LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

Status update

Good news - after several discussions with a lawyer for CBS, they have removed their copyright claim on the video and I can finish the series without worrying about a takedown.
bosguy1981
Great Northern Member

Re: Status update

Post by bosguy1981 »

LostInTheMovies wrote:Good news - after several discussions with a lawyer for CBS, they have removed their copyright claim on the video and I can finish the series without worrying about a takedown.
YES! YES! YES! So happy to hear that.

Any idea when you'll be posting additional chapters? These are my new "Missing Pieces" in the sense that it's my new Twin Peaks video that I watch WAY too often. :) But they're just that excellent, so what can I say?
FauxOwl
RR Diner Member

Post by FauxOwl »

Great news. It's nice to hear that you can have a discussion about this sort of thing with a corporate lawyer which ends with an amicable resolution
LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

Chapter 13 - Dead Dogs and Drawer Pulls

And as if on cue... ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0gGDjDFuQY

And thanks to everyone for the enthusiasm. It really makes the work feel worthwhile.
Jude
Roadhouse Member

Post by Jude »

Another excellent episode!! It's even more fun to watch these now because at the moment I'm watching the series for the third time (at the moment on S02E04), BUT this time with couple of my friends, two of them haven't seen the show before and that's also exciting experience for me. But yeah, I love it that you dedicated a 10-minute episode for this part of the season 2.
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Post by Jasper »

"Chapter 14 will premiere within the next few"?

Minutes? Decades? Don't leave us hangin'.

Watching this chapter I again find myself longing to see a fanedit of season two's rough patch. I know a man who's up to the job... :D
What a spectacular project it would be leading up to the 2016 season! Just sayin'. :lol:
LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

Jasper wrote:"Chapter 14 will premiere within the next few"?

Minutes? Decades? Don't leave us hangin'.

Watching this chapter I again find myself longing to see a fanedit of season two's rough patch. I know a man who's up to the job... :D
What a spectacular project it would be leading up to the 2016 season! Just sayin'. :lol:
I would probably have less luck with the CBS lawyer on that front haha...
LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

Chapter 14 - The Spirit of Twin Peaks

Sooner than expected!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHeuSiQ30F4

Full confession - I did not intend to leave the end of that Hook Rug Dance sound clip in at the end of the video. Oops. But I do kind of like Jerry's wistful mea culpa even if it would have been more appropriate after the last chapter.
Last edited by LostInTheMovies on Sat Dec 13, 2014 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Post by Jasper »

LostInTheMovies wrote:I would probably have less luck with the CBS lawyer on that front haha...
Obviously youtube is not an option. Of course there's always the joy of a more personal project shared privately with a small circle die-hard fans. I can dream, can't I?

I'd try it myself, but I've got no video editing experience whatsoever.

Incidentally, I already watched and enjoyed chapter 14 (thanks!), but the link you've got up there leads to something relating to Lars von Trier's Antichrist.
LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

Jasper wrote:Incidentally, I already watched and enjoyed chapter 14 (thanks!), but the link you've got up there leads to something relating to Lars von Trier's Antichrist.
Second time that happened! Mixed up the clips on Twitter as well. /fixed