Log Lady intros

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

Log Lady intros

Post by LostInTheMovies »

Thoughts on the Log Lady intros, in general?

Something I just noticed watching them all together: she wears the same sweater for all of season 1, and then a different sweater for season 2 through ep. 14. Quite noticeably, she switches to a plaid shirt for ep. 15 & 16, to a third sweater for ep. 17, and then returns to the first season sweater for the rest of the episodes...until the finale, where she wears one we haven't seen before.

Wondering if there's a pattern to this, if Lynch is just fucking with us, or if there's some other explanation. I'm assuming these were all shot in one session (it would be pretty inefficient to do otherwise) so a conscious decision to switch outfits must have been made.
Last edited by LostInTheMovies on Tue Sep 29, 2015 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Re: Log Lady intros (& her sweaters)

Post by Jasper »

Regarding the sweaters, I'm not sure what any of it means, or what feelings drove the choices, but....this is no accident. If by episode 14 you mean the killer reveal, then that's a pretty pivotal episode, and it's Lynch's last directed episode prior to the series...er...SEASON finale.

What episode is it when they take Coop's badge and he switches to flannel? BTW, Lynch has mentioned his dislike of the flannel. He thought Coop should remain in his suit. This may be in Lynch on Lynch, or maybe it's somewhere else, but he definitely mentioned it.

Oh, and I feel like this should be in the thread:

LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

Re: Log Lady intros (& her sweaters)

Jasper wrote:What episode is it when they take Coop's badge and he switches to flannel?
Oddly enough, the episode where Cooper gets kicked out of the FBI (though he hasn't yet switched to flannel) is the intro in which the Log Lady intro switches OUT of flannel!

Here's the breakdown:

Pilot - Ep. 7 (aka all of season 1): classic Log Lady sweater (SHIRT A)
Ep. 8 - 14 (aka season 2 through the killer's reveal): slightly different Log Lady sweater w/o patterns on it (SHIRT B)
Ep. 15 & 16 (aka the two episodes in which we know Leland is Bob, end of the investigation): noticeably different flannel shirt (SHIRT C)
Ep. 17 (aka the "jump the shark" post-Laura/Leland show when Coop is kicked out of the FBI, Nadine throws the guy in the air etc): another sweater, this one looks almost like a bathrobe, with the orange turtleneck under it which she wore in 15 & 16 w/ the flannel shirt (SHIRT D)
Ep. 18 - 28 (aka the rest of season 2 not including the finale): back to the classic Log Lady sweater (SHIRT A)
Ep. 29: a different, lighter "robe" style sweater than she wore in ep. 17 intro. It looks like maybe she is wearing this over her classic Log Lady sweater. (SHIRT E)

I could double check what she's wearing beneath the sweater; sometimes it's an open-collar shirt, sometimes a turtleneck - when the latter, you can't see her distinctive collar clasp. But I already feel ridiculous enough lol...
LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

Re: Log Lady intros

Just wanted to bump this topic in light of Catherine Coulson passing away. I think the Log Lady intros really add a unique perspective to the show, and would love to hear from others on the subject. I will probably return later with further thoughts.
HoodedMatt
Roadhouse Member

Post by HoodedMatt »

I've only seen the intros once, when I did my first rewatch of the show last spring. I really need to give them another look as I recall being a little befuddled by them a lot of the time.
TwinPeaksFanatic
RR Diner Member

Post by TwinPeaksFanatic »

I really love the Log Lady intros. I think they sort of set the mood for mystery and are just fun in general. My favorite is the first one when she says Laura was the "one" and she knew her. Catherine will be missed.
FauxOwl
RR Diner Member

Post by FauxOwl »

I wasn't aware that these were shot after FWWM and were put together by Lynch. During my most recent full rewatch (first time I'd watched the entire series including the tough stretch in season 2) my friend, who was watching the series for the first time, opted out of watching the intros. If I'd known the background I probably would have insisted.

BTW here are all the intros:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmIa7B3SXjI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9TyyP63VSRI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gu5Bn-b15Rk

And links to transcriptions of the monologues:
http://genius.com/albums/Twin-peaks/The ... roductions