Andy “plank” scene and Philip Jeffries scene

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Re: Andy “plank” scene and Philip Jeffries scene

Post by N. Needleman »

I can't speak for Lost, but I know some of the later guest stars tell differing stories about Lynch in Reflections. Annette McCarthy (Evelyn) claims he was involved in her audition process, I believe, and Kenneth Welsh says he dropped in at one point to insist Windom Earle only be shown wearing black.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Post by Jasper »

p-air wrote:As for the “plank” even if we don’t accept any direct FWWM parallels, that scene is recognizably Lynchian if nothing else – or, it certainly feels that way to me..
14:55 (the stick is very plank-like, and the action is absurdly long-lasting):

LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

Post by LostInTheMovies »

p-air wrote:
LostInTheMovies wrote:At the risk of veering way off, you mentioned “Lynch's pop-in-for-5-seconds-and-suggest-something" ideas. I wonder if we can point to other examples of that.
The Windom's suit thing above is one example, and also of course the drawer-pull idea. Reflections also mentions him asking Todd Holland to add something to his own episode involving Piper Laurie, who supposedly wasn't available (this led to Lynch's argument with Harley Peyton who told Holland not to worry about the last-minute request).

...I had a whole bit written about that scene between Ben and Catherine in Ben's Civil War playpen (which appears in Todd Holland's only late-series episode), speculating that maybe this was a last-minute Lynch addition, since it's an odd little non sequitur of the scene, both in its tone and especially the way it's shot (wide-angle long take, typical of Lynch, atypical of the usually more flamboyant Holland).

But...nope. I just looked up the episode 20 script and the scene is already in there, down to the "make my body hum" line. So much for my detective work lol. I wonder what the "missing Catherine" scene was actually supposed to be. ...Brad?
p-air
Roadhouse Member

Post by p-air »

Jasper wrote:14:55 (the stick is very plank-like, and the action is absurdly long-lasting)
Great find in the Dumbland episode. Compare this once again to the stabbing motif in Inland Empire - not merely the stick/plank/screwdriver objects themselves but the persistent, lingering and somewhat obsessive manner in which we're left to dwell on the characters' injuries. I think there is something to that for sure.
p-air
Roadhouse Member

Post by p-air »

Further to this side topic:
OK,Bob wrote:The young foreign woman with the older bumpkin at Hap's also calls to mind Josie and Pete...
This guy Daniel Cowan points out in his blog (see here http://www.dugpa.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2530) there is even a fish on the wall right above bizarro Josie and Pete...! Can't believe I never noticed. I've always loved the Deer Meadow stuff but that really brings it full circle for me.