Leland's death/Bob

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

mukuro

Leland's death/Bob

Post by mukuro »

"I have this thing for knives.
Just like what happened to you in Pittsburgh that time."

I didn't give it that much thought before, but it is pretty odd for Bob(speaking through Leland) to make reference to Coop being stabbed by Earle. Also odd since I don't believe Bob used a knife in any of his murders that we saw(correct me if I'm wrong). It suggests a long standing connection between Bob and Earle(which isn't a big stretch from what we know, but still).
Ygdrasel
Roadhouse Member

Re: Leland's death/Bob

Post by Ygdrasel »

I don't doubt that in Windom's mad obsession and pursuit of the Black Lodge, he may have had some manner of contact with BOB in one form of another. Indeed, maybe Windom's obsession came about due to BOB temporarily inhabiting him at some unknown point in the past.

If Cooper is among the specialized agents handling Blue Rose cases, it may be that Pittsburgh was home to a Lodge-related incident and it was BOB (via Windom) who did the deed.

Wasn't Windom in an institute at some point? You don't go to the loony bin for stabbing FBI. You go to the loony bin for spouting "I was possessed!" in your defense.
Twin Peaks has layers, man. Twin Peaks is an onion. 8)
Rami Airola
RR Diner Member

Post by Rami Airola »

mukuro wrote:Also odd since I don't believe Bob used a knife in any of his murders that we saw(correct me if I'm wrong).
Well, in the series we saw a bloody hammer in the train car.

In the movie it looks to be a knife. And in the script it actually reads "Knife entering flesh" during the train car scene.
The Dream Man
Roadhouse Member

Post by The Dream Man »

Rami Airola wrote:
mukuro wrote:Also odd since I don't believe Bob used a knife in any of his murders that we saw(correct me if I'm wrong).
Well, in the series we saw a bloody hammer in the train car.

In the movie it looks to be a knife. And in the script it actually reads "Knife entering flesh" during the train car scene.
Definitely a knife in FWWM.

How does a detail like that go uncorrected?
HoodedMatt
Roadhouse Member

Post by HoodedMatt »

I don't think there's anything to be corrected there. I tend towards the murder scene in the series being an inaccurate representation of what happened, the actual events getting twisted and changed in Ronette's traumatised mind.
From what we see of actual event in the movie, Ronette wasn't in any real state to pay close attention to what was happening due to her crying and pleading for her life while being forced to witness Laura's trauma. Add the appearence of the angel (assuming Ronette sees it) and then possible head trauma caused by Leland/Bob's assault and/or the fall from the train car, combined with a night in the open air in late February, and I think it's fair to consider that she may not be all that accurate when remembering the little details.
Gabriel
Great Northern Member

Post by Gabriel »

Don't forget BOB had been trying to take over Cooper and Cooper's mother for years. BOB was likely the cause of Cooper's mother's death. There are also three years unaccounted for in Coopers 20's. BOB was clearly active way beyond the town.
Last edited by Gabriel on Sat Feb 21, 2015 4:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Dream Man
Roadhouse Member

Post by The Dream Man »

HoodedMatt wrote:I don't think there's anything to be corrected there. I tend towards the murder scene in the series being an inaccurate representation of what happened, the actual events getting twisted and changed in Ronette's traumatised mind.
From what we see of actual event in the movie, Ronette wasn't in any real state to pay close attention to what was happening due to her crying and pleading for her life while being forced to witness Laura's trauma. Add the appearence of the angel (assuming Ronette sees it) and then possible head trauma caused by Leland/Bob's assault and/or the fall from the train car, combined with a night in the open air in late February, and I think it's fair to consider that she may not be all that accurate when remembering the little details.
That makes sense, but during Laura's autopsy scene they mention numerous shallow wounds. That to me sounds less of a knife attack, and more like the hammer we saw in the show. Also, in FWWM we clearly see Leland plunging a knife into Laura, which is not from Ronnette's POV.
Gabriel wrote:Don't forget Cooper had been trying to take over Cooper and Cooper's mother for years. BOB was likely the cause of Cooper's mother's death. There are also three years unaccounted for in Coopers 20's. BOB was clearly active way beyond the town.

Is that info from the autobiography of Cooper? I need to find a way to read that.
HoodedMatt
Roadhouse Member

Post by HoodedMatt »

The Dream Man wrote:
HoodedMatt wrote:I don't think there's anything to be corrected there. I tend towards the murder scene in the series being an inaccurate representation of what happened, the actual events getting twisted and changed in Ronette's traumatised mind.
That makes sense, but during Laura's autopsy scene they mention numerous shallow wounds. That to me sounds less of a knife attack, and more like the hammer we saw in the show. Also, in FWWM we clearly see Leland plunging a knife into Laura, which is not from Ronnette's POV.
I take the FWWM version to be what actually happened, just to make myself clearer. I should have said that earlier.

Regarding the shallow wounds thing, I see no problem with them being knife wounds. Leland/BOB could have been holding back just a little bit as we know that BOB wanted to posess Laura, not kill her. Killers regret, I guess you could call it.
Rami Airola
RR Diner Member

Post by Rami Airola »

In the first episode of the second season, when they are recapping what they think happened, we see a shot of the bloody hammer at the moment when they talk about the killer hitting Ronette with a blunt object. So perhaps the hammer was always meant to be the weapon used to attack Ronette, and not Laura.

But then again, the script of that episodes has Bob hitting Ronette with a wrench during Ronette's flashback scene:

79. INT. TRAIN NIGHT
FLASHBACK: Ronette's POV; sound and picture distorted and strange. We see what she sees.
Laura kneeling nearby on the floor of the train car.
Two surgically gloved hands frantically forming a small mound of dirt.
Blood dripping.
A hand ripping the half-heart necklace from around Laura's neck.
A finger dipped in blood, writing the note.
A hand picking up a heavy wrench and advancing towards us.
And the wrench is raised threateningly above us.
And we see him. Bob, the grey-haired man. He swings the wrench down at us.

Also, interestingly the script has some flashback scenes also in the recapping scene, and it mentions a knife:

"62. INT. TRAIN CAR - NIGHT
MOS flashback. Lit by a candle. We see a SHADOWY FIGURE strike Ronette. She falls to the ground. We see the figure advance on Laura. A knife gleams."