Positive reviews of FWWM

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

Positive reviews of FWWM

Post by LostInTheMovies »

I'm always curious to read reactions to Twin Peaks and Fire Walk With Me from the early 90s, especially the rare positive reaction to the film. I was wondering if anyone had copies - either digital or something they could photograph and upload - of the L.A. Weekly (or was it the L.A. Times?) review, the Video Watchdog review, and the review by Steve Erickson (David Foster Wallace references/quotes it in his own essay, but I'm not sure where Erickson published this). I haven't been able to find these pieces anywhere online and have only seen them referenced without being able to read them.

If anyone can share any of these 3, I'd be extremely grateful! There were so few critics who really connected with the movie in '92 so it's really interesting to stumble across those who did.
harmolodic
Roadhouse Member

Re: Positive reviews of FWWM

Post by harmolodic »

I've got the FWWM Video Watchdog issue and can scan it. Might not get to it for a few days.

Tim Lucas has always been a consistently insightful and positive TP critic. All the VW issues with TP content are amazing.
LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

Thanks! I look forward to reading this.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Can't help with the ones you asked for specifically but have you read the one by popular film critic Kim Newman in the UK magazine, Sight and Sound? It was one of the few positive reviews of FWWM in the UK and indeed anywhere, here's the link to it:

http://www.davidlynch.de/sighttwin.html
Last edited by Jonah on Thu Apr 09, 2015 4:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Empire Magazine was also fairly positive. Both gave 4/5 stars.

Here's the Empire link:

http://www.empireonline.com/reviews/rev ... FID=133278

Great to see these still archived online!!
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

Thanks! I've read the Kim Newman one but not, I think, Empire.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Apart from the preposterous or pretentious question mark line towards the end, the Empire one is good, though short.

Also, this is interesting, a recent review by LA Weekly:

http://www.laweekly.com/film/twin-peaks ... ce-2613896

And a quick google search brought me to these interesting old articles from The LA Times. There's about 7 of them. Though not the review you're looking for, you may find some of these of interest.

http://articles.latimes.com/keyword/twi ... h-me-movie
Gabriel
Great Northern Member

Post by Gabriel »

Barry Norman on the BBC's film review programme didn't exactly love the film, but basically said the film proved the film world would be far more dull without David Lynch making movies like FWWM!