Last of the Mohicans connection

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Kmkmiller
Roadhouse Member

Last of the Mohicans connection

Post by Kmkmiller »

In chapter 24 I came across a paragraph that sounds a lot like Annie's speech in "Miss Twin Peaks." it refers to "happy hunting grounds," which by itself would be a coincidence but then the passage goes on, Magua implores his tribe will "not forget the dead.".... "never cease to remember..." etc.

I'd be interested in knowing if any old school wrapped in plastic peeps, or twin peaks "scholars" looked at Last of the Mohicans and/or native American history in connection with Twin Peaks.

Maybe this is something that Barry Pullman or someone talked about in an old interview or something.
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Re: Last of the Mohicans connection

Post by Jasper »

Well, someone suggested not so long ago that the owl cave ring symbol sort of looks like a corn stalk with the corn in the middle and leaves opening to the sides.

Lately we've talked more about the more robust Indian (as in India) religious connections, but I did recently delve into the art of maize deities among the Maya, etc. It's not necessarily directly related, but it's interesting to see supernatural beings connected to corn, and some weird coincidences(?) that make us look back at India (which I was consciously trying to get away from). You can see that here:

http://www.dugpa.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... =15#p33809
OK,Bob
RR Diner Member

Post by OK,Bob »

Well, Annie said she was quoting Chief Seattle, so the Native American connection there was pretty blatant.

"I'd like to quote these words from Chief Seattle, leader of the Suquamish tribe. 'Your dead are soon forgotten and never return. Our dead never forget the beautiful world that gave them being. They still love its verdant valleys, its murmuring rivers, its majestic mountains. When the last red man has vanished from this earth, these forests and shores will still hold their spirits. For the Indians love the earth as a newborn loves its mother's heartbeat.' Why have we all lost touch with this beauty? Maybe saving a forest starts with preserving some of the feelings that die inside us every day - those parts of ourselves that we deny. For if we cannot respect that interior land, then neither can we respect the land we walk. So let us, in walking gently upon the earth, leave behind a simple legacy: that we're new warriors, mystic warriors, who love the earth, and try to save it. Thank you very much."
"OK, Bob. OK, BOB. OK." -Audrey Horne
LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

Post by LostInTheMovies »

Dunno, but Fire Walk With Me and Last of the Mohicans are my two favorite films of 1992 so...there's that! And definitely two of the greatest film scores of all time.

Anyway...
Maybe this is something that Barry Pullman or someone talked about in an old interview or something.
Man, I would LOVE to read a Barry Pullman interview! Not only do I think ep. 12 is one of the most underrated episodes of the series (and mark ep. 24 as the true beginning of the comeback, despite the pine weasel & JJW), but ep. 18 contains the TP spiritual ethos in its purest, most crystalline form. It would be great to hear how that came about - conversations with Mark Frost or what. And while I don't care much for Ep. 28, I'm intrigued by all the "meta" gestures: the contestants "wrapped in plastic," Windom- in-drag replacing the actual Log Lady, the whole "we need more than a day" comment re: Laura Palmer.

Plus I realized recently that he wrote more solo scripts for the series than anyone else save Mark Frost. (Peyton wrote 3, Engels only 2.)

Unfortunately, from what I've heard Pullman doesn't do interviews. Did they ever get him on the record in. Wrapped in Plastic back in the day?
Kmkmiller
Roadhouse Member

Post by Kmkmiller »

I've read the passage from "Last of the Mohicans" again today and am convinced Pullman was inspired by it for Annie's speech.

Here is a wonderful essay by a scholarly type...

http://www.davidlavery.net/tprvm/Carroll.docx