The USC Q&As on one playlist

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

The USC Q&As on one playlist

Post by LostInTheMovies »

Just added all the videos uploaded by H Dellamorte onto one convenient YouTube playlist. I'm listening to them now, having only listened to the FWWM talks earlier (I don't think I realized that - apparently - every single Q&A is on YT!).

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... 9oC7nFGBBn

The biggest revelation for me so far was Mark Frost saying, "We didn't actually know [who the killer was] on the pilot, but we knew shortly thereafter." I've been trying to figure that out forever! I wonder precisely when they determined it. In the interim between the pilot and writing episodes 1 & 2? While writing episodes 1 & 2? While shooting the other episodes? Or even as late as shooting ep. 2 (which, let's not forget was shot out-of-sequence, after ep. 6 I think, due to Lynch's work on Wild at Heart)? Wouldn't it be amazing if Ray Wise accidentally smearing his own blood on Laura's portrait sealed his fate? That would certainly be consistent with Lynch's beliefs and practice of synchronicity.

One other thing I found intersesting: Grace Zabriskie offers a very specific memory of Lynch capturing Frank Silva on film BEFORE he got the shot of him hiding behind the bed (she even recalls Lynch saying "Can you work late?" so he could go get the bed shot after catching Frank in the mirror). This obviously runs contrary to Lynch's story that he got the shot of Frank in the bedroom after a crew member said, "Don't get caught in there, Frank!" and the mirror thing happened afterward. Given his sometimes faulty memory my uneducated hunch is that the crew member really did say that but he didn't have the idea of actually getting the shot until later, after the mirror accident. Well, who knows. Sometimes these explanations open up more questions than they answer haha.

But I can't wait to listen to the rest.
Rami Airola
RR Diner Member

Re: The USC Q&As on one playlist

Post by Rami Airola »

Was it in that Q&A where Grace also said that Frank wasn't even in the same room, but the mirror reflected another mirror which reflected Frank in another room?

When she said that, I had a feeling that she's not remembering that stuff too well and is probably twisting her memories a bit.

It would also be interesting to know when the scene with Ronette walking on the bridge was filmed. Phoebe Augustine has told the story that he saw Frank in the crew, didn't know who he was and was scared at him. And when he said about it to David, he said "he's the bad guy."

It would be very interesting if that happened before any of the other Frank-accidents :D
LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

Post by LostInTheMovies »

Rami Airola wrote:Was it in that Q&A where Grace also said that Frank wasn't even in the same room, but the mirror reflected another mirror which reflected Frank in another room?

When she said that, I had a feeling that she's not remembering that stuff too well and is probably twisting her memories a bit.

It would also be interesting to know when the scene with Ronette walking on the bridge was filmed. Phoebe Augustine has told the story that he saw Frank in the crew, didn't know who he was and was scared at him. And when he said about it to David, he said "he's the bad guy."

It would be very interesting if that happened before any of the other Frank-accidents :D
One of the things that becomes more and more clear listening to these Q&As, fascinating as they are, is that everyone has their version of the truth!

The one with Gregg Fienberg and the other producer (didn't catch his name) is particularly interesting in this regard. They keep harping on the fact that answering WKLP killed the show, that the network forced the reveal, that everything was fine until then, that the ratings dropped only after that question was answered etc etc. Well, obviously I wasn't there but even a cursory wikipedia search reveals a very contradictory narrative, based on solid facts. The ratings for the show headed south immediately after the second season premiere. What's more, the press buzz about the show - which had probably been Twin Peaks' greatest asset in season one - turned negative at this exact same time. And the complaint wasn't "Oh no, they're going to reveal Laura's killer!" It was "They are never going to reveal the killer, this show is just jerking our chains..."

Also, Frost's statements at the time and (more importantly, since he no longer had to be playing the "good soldier," his statements afterwards) reveal that he wanted the mystery to end and it was not just a matter of evil ABC forcing the storytellers to abandon their narrative. It's always really interesting to hear all the perspectives from the time but it seems like a lot of them are seeing it through a certain filter, the Rashomon effect if you will.

Also, Paula Shimatsu-U butts heads with the others on a few occasions, which was interesting to observe. And her statements about Lynch/Frost deserving some of the blame for getting distracted from the series also seems to fit the timeline and context and explains a bit more than the other interpretations.
StealThisCorn
RR Diner Member
Location: Laying on Laura's lap in the Red Room / Gorging on garmonbozia with Bob Above the Convenience Store

Post by StealThisCorn »

Thank you for compiling these all into one easy playlist.
Audrey Horne
Lodge Member

Post by Audrey Horne »

Thanks for organizing these. I have to watch them again, it's already been a couple of years.

And yes, yes, yes... it is complete revisionist history that the reveal of the killer drove the bulk of the viewers away.
God, I love this music. Isn't it too dreamy?