The Laura Palmer Project

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Agent Sam Stanley
Bookhouse Member

Re: The Laura Palmer Project

Post by Agent Sam Stanley »

The Grey Lodge wrote: The Secret Diary of Laura Palmer:
I discard this book because, even back when I read it in 1990, I felt Jennifer didn't have a handle on Laura's voice. In fact, I felt all the characters who appeared (like Leo) were way, way off. I was hoping that since the executive producers daughter wrote it, she'd have more insight into the character, but alas, it read like bad fan-fiction.
I thought I was alone with this :lol: The Diary is so highly praised among fans. Here in Brazil it was even more popular than the show and FWWM. Most people I know got to know TP because of the Diary.
I agree, most characters were way off (chatting BOB was the worst). Even Laura was too over the top for me.
Scott Frost did a better job with Cooper's tapes in my opinion (reads like fan fiction too, but better).
Last edited by Agent Sam Stanley on Mon Jun 13, 2016 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

Post by LostInTheMovies »

Agent Sam Stanley wrote:I thought I was alone with that opinion :lol: The Diary is so highly praised among fans. Here in Brazil it was even more popular than the show and FWWM. Most people I know got to know TP because of the Diary.
Wow, really interesting! I recently got a comment from someone on my "Journey" videos saying they had never seen the show but were a fan of Twin Peaks because of "the book". I had never heard of this phenomenon before, but turned out it was just as you described, and they were from Brazil (I had to Google translate the comments - in fact I think you may have helped them out on where/how to find the show from a thread I posted here on dugpa). Didn't realize this was so widespread there.
Agent Sam Stanley
Bookhouse Member

LostInTheMovies wrote: Wow, really interesting! I recently got a comment from someone on my "Journey" videos saying they had never seen the show but were a fan of Twin Peaks because of "the book". I had never heard of this phenomenon before, but turned out it was just as you described, and they were from Brazil (I had to Google translate the comments - in fact I think you may have helped them out on where/how to find the show from a thread I posted here on dugpa). Didn't realize this was so widespread there.
Right, that was me. One girl on the comments of your video was looking for a way to watch the show here in Brazil.

Well, I had to explain to a dozen people here that Laura Palmer was a fictional character from a TV show and that the Diary was pure fiction. And some people even thought the TV show and FWWM were based on this real girl who had a troubled life and was mysteriously killed, and then had her secret diary published (I know).
In their defense that was way before the Internet and Google search, when urban legends spread easily I guess.
LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

Post by LostInTheMovies »

Damn, that's amazing. I wonder to what extent Jennifer Lynch is aware of the reputation her work has there!
Agent Sam Stanley
Bookhouse Member

LostInTheMovies wrote:Damn, that's amazing. I wonder to what extent Jennifer Lynch is aware of the reputation her work has there!
I don't think so, but I'm sure she'd be very proud.
hopesfall
RR Diner Member

Post by hopesfall »

TwinPeaksFanatic wrote:I agree that Laura has had a huge influence on many fans, myself included. Being female and discovering Twin Peaks at a young age definitely left a distinct impression on me.

With that in mind, I wrote a blog post similar to this subject matter.

http://twinpeaksfanatic.blogspot.com/20 ... th-me.html

:D
This was wonderful to read. Thank you so much for sharing it.
TwinPeaksFanatic
RR Diner Member

Post by TwinPeaksFanatic »

hopesfall wrote:
TwinPeaksFanatic wrote:I agree that Laura has had a huge influence on many fans, myself included. Being female and discovering Twin Peaks at a young age definitely left a distinct impression on me.

With that in mind, I wrote a blog post similar to this subject matter.

http://twinpeaksfanatic.blogspot.com/20 ... th-me.html

:D
This was wonderful to read. Thank you so much for sharing it.

Thank you very much for reading! :)
OK,Bob
RR Diner Member

Post by OK,Bob »

wAtChLaR wrote:classic americana

and what book is in her hand?
The Human Comedy
Attachments
images.jpg
images.jpg (69.88 KiB) Viewed 7815 times
"OK, Bob. OK, BOB. OK." -Audrey Horne
jordanlake
Roadhouse Member

Post by jordanlake »

Excellent detective work!

Is it sad/pathetic that I want to read that now? 'Yes' - The World.
wAtChLaR
RR Diner Member

Post by wAtChLaR »

Thank you Ok Bob
yes great work

and how apropos the book
i'm a moderator's nightmare

i know i know