The Laura Palmer Project

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

Re: The Laura Palmer Project

Post by LostInTheMovies »

mlsstwrt wrote:
OK,Bob wrote:
mlsstwrt wrote:Does anybody else really like this photo? Her expression says so much to me about what is going on inside.
Indeed. You see sorrow in her right eye, seduction in the left (which she is pushing toward the camera)... and her whole countenance is distancing and defiant.
I love that description. You articulated it perfectly.
Seconded.
MasterMastermind
RR Diner Member

Post by MasterMastermind »

Does that picture coincide with the show or the film?
OK,Bob
RR Diner Member

Post by OK,Bob »

MasterMastermind wrote:Does that picture coincide with the show or the film?
It was in the series. Ben Horne had it on his desk. See episode 14 when he admits he loved Laura...
"OK, Bob. OK, BOB. OK." -Audrey Horne
mlsstwrt
RR Diner Member

Post by mlsstwrt »

OK,Bob wrote:
MasterMastermind wrote:Does that picture coincide with the show or the film?
It was in the series. Ben Horne had it on his desk. See episode 14 when he admits he loved Laura...
I love that scene. He had been so cold and had never really indicated an interest in anything other than money or hedonism up to that point, not in Laura's murder or even his own daughter. Which makes it powerful when he finally admits that he loved her. Bobby had also been matter of fact about Laura's murder, never truly grieving, until (and this is just an interpretation) the end of Episode 14 when the mood of the Roadhouse overwhelms him. For me his reaction is finally one of utter sadness and disbelief at what happened to Laura.
Nightsea
Roadhouse Member

Post by Nightsea »

rocketsan22 wrote:IF you haven't seen The Sweet Hereafter, I implore you to seek it out immediately and watch it. It is so beautifully shot, it is an unforgettable movie...and, like Twin Peaks, it's a town ripe with secrets.

Such a great film...
Rocketsan22 and LostInTheMovies, yes, The Sweet Hereafter is a great film! Exotica really caught my interest in Atom Egoyan (such a strange name). It served as an entry point for me in regard to his other work. His films feature so many talented actors, such as Bruce Greenwood and Elias Koteas. Sarah Polley is wonderful too.

Slightly off topic: Misstwrt–and for those who have already watched Exotica– what did you think of the very last scene? I find it to be really, really powerful. Christina and Francis are so different in this flashback. We finally see what these two characters were like prior to the death of Francis’ daughter and wife. In the last scene, Francis is dressed neatly, he’s clean shaven, confident, and oozing praise about his daughter. Christina, on the other hand, comes across as very awkward and unsure of herself– the braces, the pigtails, the glasses, and her soft spoken nature in the flashback are so far removed from the Christina that she later becomes in the nightclub.

When she exits the car and walks toward that nice, seemingly normal suburban middle class house, the viewer can’t help but think (as Sarah Palmer would): “What in the world is going on in that house?” Christina obviously isn’t happy and she seems extremely lonely. We never discover for certain if her character’s transformation is a result of abuse or not, but something must’ve happened to make her go from a soft spoken, shy girl to a sultry dancer in an exotic nightclub... especially at such a young age. The death of Francis’ daughter seems to act as a dividing line between Christina and Francis’ old and new personas. Francis is a broken man afterward. He struggles to hang onto the happiness of his former life in such a sad way (having Tracey babysit for him/ for a child that’s no longer alive, becoming a surrogate father figure for Christina). It really is heartbreaking.

LostInTheMovies, you mentioned the film Bliss... I rented the movie years and years ago when it first came out. I remember being disappointed in it, but I do think that Sheryl Lee gave a good performance. I’ll have to view it again soon and specifically look for the flashback/fisheye lens scene.

Lastly, thanks OK, Bob for posting that image of Laura. Her melancholy, secretive expression perfectly captures the mood that Frost and Lynch were going for with Twin Peaks. A beautiful sadness that even tugged at Ben Horne’s heartstrings.
mlsstwrt
RR Diner Member

Post by mlsstwrt »

Nightsea wrote:
rocketsan22 wrote:IF you haven't seen The Sweet Hereafter, I implore you to seek it out immediately and watch it. It is so beautifully shot, it is an unforgettable movie...and, like Twin Peaks, it's a town ripe with secrets.

Such a great film...
Rocketsan22 and LostInTheMovies, yes, The Sweet Hereafter is a great film! Exotica really caught my interest in Atom Egoyan (such a strange name). It served as an entry point for me in regard to his other work. His films feature so many talented actors, such as Bruce Greenwood and Elias Koteas. Sarah Polley is wonderful too.

Slightly off topic: Misstwrt–and for those who have already watched Exotica– what did you think of the very last scene? I find it to be really, really powerful. Christina and Francis are so different in this flashback. We finally see what these two characters were like prior to the death of Francis’ daughter and wife. In the last scene, Francis is dressed neatly, he’s clean shaven, confident, and oozing praise about his daughter. Christina, on the other hand, comes across as very awkward and unsure of herself– the braces, the pigtails, the glasses, and her soft spoken nature in the flashback are so far removed from the Christina that she later becomes in the nightclub.

When she exits the car and walks toward that nice, seemingly normal suburban middle class house, the viewer can’t help but think (as Sarah Palmer would): “What in the world is going on in that house?” Christina obviously isn’t happy and she seems extremely lonely. We never discover for certain if her character’s transformation is a result of abuse or not, but something must’ve happened to make her go from a soft spoken, shy girl to a sultry dancer in an exotic nightclub... especially at such a young age. The death of Francis’ daughter seems to act as a dividing line between Christina and Francis’ old and new personas. Francis is a broken man afterward. He struggles to hang onto the happiness of his former life in such a sad way (having Tracey babysit for him/ for a child that’s no longer alive, becoming a surrogate father figure for Christina). It really is heartbreaking.

LostInTheMovies, you mentioned the film Bliss... I rented the movie years and years ago when it first came out. I remember being disappointed in it, but I do think that Sheryl Lee gave a good performance. I’ll have to view it again soon and specifically look for the flashback/fisheye lens scene.

Lastly, thanks OK, Bob for posting that image of Laura. Her melancholy, secretive expression perfectly captures the mood that Frost and Lynch were going for with Twin Peaks. A beautiful sadness that even tugged at Ben Horne’s heartstrings.
Hi Nightsea. I remember that final scene well but I'm not sure I can add anything to what you wrote. I think your analysis is spot on and very well written. Yes, there is an obvious reason for Francis's transformation but the reason for Christina's is more ambiguous. It's a very movie scene and really changes how you think of what has gone before. I need to watch that film again, soon. I hope I can find the DVD.
Nightsea
Roadhouse Member

Post by Nightsea »

I found my copy of Exotica on Amazon a few years ago... it was a little difficult to track down at a decent price. A Criterion version would be nice at some point. I can't wait for Mulholland Dr! Alas, sorry to sidetrack things with all of the talk about other movies. I'll step aside for Laura again...
rocketsan22
RR Diner Member

Post by rocketsan22 »

You can find the Atom Egoyan DVD box set pretty cheap from time to time...
LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

No worries, Nightsea, all roads in Twin Peaks (or Twin Peaks discussions) eventually lead back to Laura. ;)
lilyofthevalley

Post by lilyofthevalley »

I just wanted to express how much this thread means to me! I feel hugely, hugely kindred to Laura for a number of reasons. My background, my deals with sex work, substances, abuse, mental illness (as I perceive some of Laura's writings especially in her journal as her being mentally ill. I sometimes like to think BOB is a metaphor for her mental illness within the context of her character sometimes as I deal with mental illness), etc...when I get a therapist I may show them her diary as I feel it best sums up what thoughts go through my head a lot,etc...I am also a writer and artist and have written a book that contains a poem about her and how much I relate to her and feel simpatico. So, its an understatement to say that Laura is a huge part of my life and identity without even noticing it until I was much older. So, thanks for this thread.
LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

lilyofthevalley wrote:I sometimes like to think BOB is a metaphor for her mental illness within the context of her character sometimes as I deal with mental illness), etc...when I get a therapist I may show them her diary as I feel it best sums up what thoughts go through my head a lot,etc...I am also a writer and artist and have written a book that contains a poem about her and how much I relate to her and feel simpatico.
Thanks for sharing your thoughts and experience, lily. I think that's a very good point about BOB. Especially as he is featured in the Diary (but a bit in the film too). It isn't just about Leland, but about Laura - the torment she feels inside.

Can we find your book/poem available online anywhere?
lilyofthevalley

Thanks! Yeah, I always think in the context of BOB being featured in the diary he's actually just a metaphor for how she deals with her abuse and what she thinks about herself even though its not true, borne out of maybe PTSD. Its funny because even Harold suggests that he's "not real" in Fire Walk With Me. So, its interesting. I feel that he can be used as a metaphor as well as real. And oh how kind of you for being interested! The links to my book and work are on my main page here:

http://www.loreleichildress.tumblr.com/

And an excerpt from the poem about Laura is here in this ad I made for my book.

http://lettersoakedingirlblood.tumblr.c ... lished-and

I hope you guys enjoy it and maybe even buy my book!
Last edited by lilyofthevalley on Wed Jun 03, 2015 1:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

lilyofthevalley wrote:Thanks! Yeah, I always think in the context of BOB being featured in the diary he's actually just a metaphor for how she deals with her abuse and what she thinks about herself even though its not true, borne out of maybe PTSD. Its funny because even Harold suggests that he's "not real" in Fire Walk With Me. So, its interesting. I feel that he can be used as a metaphor as well as real. And oh how kind of you for being interested! The links to my book and work are on my main page here:

http://www.loreleichildress.tumblr.com/

And an excerpt from the poem about Laura is here in this ad I made for my book.

http://lettersoakedingirlblood.tumblr.c ... lished-and

I hope you guys enjoy it and maybe even buy my book!
Thanks! Just added your tumblr to my blogroll.
Red Lodge

Post by Red Lodge »

Hello Ladies and Gentlemen,

Just yesterday after checking this site many times I finally decided to sign up and add my first reply. I did this because I knew somebody very much like Laura, and while she was not killed by Bob, she knew a Bob. Not the mystical and metaphorical type, but the real and torturous type.

In addition, I am presently working in a Sex Offenders unit; one which I have been employed at for more than 10 years. Therefore, I presently know many, many Bobs. Part of offender's therapy involves victim empathy. Often I wish we were allowed to show ‘Fire Walk With Me’ to the offenders because this movie does a wonderful job of displaying the destructive nature of the offender's crimes on the psychological condition of the victim. In many cases the victim's suffer from what is referred to as 'Borderline Personality Disorder' (please refer to the Diagnostic Statistical Manual (DSM), 5th Edition). As shown in the following excerpt from the DSM, part of this disorder causes the person who suffers from it to have an unstable personality and fractured personal relations:

2. Impairments in interpersonal functioning (a or b):
a. Empathy: Compromised ability to recognize the feelings and needs of others associated with interpersonal hypersensitivity (i.e., prone to feel slighted or insulted); perceptions of others selectively biased toward negative attributes or vulnerabilities.
b. Intimacy: Intense, unstable, and conflicted close relationships, marked by mistrust, neediness, and anxious preoccupation with real or imagined abandonment; close relationships often viewed in extremes of idealization and devaluation and alternating between over involvement and withdrawal.

Therefore, not only do they have to deal with the torments of the initial and ongoing abuse, they have a great deal of difficulty of bonding with others. To me this is tremendously sad. And to those who are the survivors of such atrocities you have my deepest sympathies.

Sincerely,

Red Lodge
lilyofthevalley

Thanks Red Lodge! I am definitely a survivor of multiple people's abuse and multiple rapes. Its...pretty bad. I actually know exactly what BPD is and I've been thinking I may have it (as I have intense feelings towards abandonment, being left,etc... along with a multitude of other mental issues) but who knows. I am personally currently working on getting diagnosed and therapy because I know I need it. Thanks for helping people like me. You're very awesome. =)