David Lynch documentary

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

David Lynch documentary

Post by LostInTheMovies »

Maybe this should be on the Lynch board, but whatever. It's got a lot of Twin Peaks in it.

Really enjoyed watching this British program from 1990. One odd point: given the date, it would seem to have been aired before ep. 9 premiered in the UK (since the show started in Nov. '90 there) but the host quite explicitly echoes Bob's entrance into the Hayward living room. Maybe he'd already sneaked a peek at the U.S. episodes?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fk1xjZneGPU

Really captures that great discrepancy between Lynch's charming, zany manner and the profound works he created.

I also like Mark Frost's description of Laura quite a bit. After seeing the series, reading the diary, and watching the film so many times it's hard for me to remember her impact as a more enigmatic character initially, but he really pinpoints that quality.
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Re: David Lynch documentary

Post by Jasper »

Definitely a standout retrospective of Lynch's work up until that point. They go above and beyond in attempting to evoke their subject's life, habitat, interests and art through scenery and camera work, etc. It is striking when the host casually occupies that spot in the Hayward home where BOB makes one of his most frightening appearances. There's virtually no chance that's a coincidence, so he must've seen the scene, or in the very least heard it described.

I must admit that, for me, Jennifer Lynch's insistence on referring to her father as David, over and over, is a bit much. I'm sure she's abandoned this practice by now. R-right guys? Maybe it's just me. :lol:
Jonatan Silva
Roadhouse Member

Post by Jonatan Silva »

I've watched this video many years ago and it's a good piece for understanding Lynch's world.
sneakydave
RR Diner Member

Post by sneakydave »

Bookmarked to watch at some point in the near future. Wondering whether I watched it at the time as I was 12 when Peaks aired and was infatuated with everything Lynch. Thanks for the link.
*M*A*Y*D*A*Y*