Fell a victim

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

PandemoniumSeesaw

Fell a victim

Post by PandemoniumSeesaw »

Hello, I rewatched FWWM some days ago. As a non-native speaker, when I heard someone say to BOB "Fell a victim" in the convenience store scene, I instantly thought it meant "(somebody) fell a victim (to something)". I did not even know the verb "to fell" existed in English.
Does anybody think that the meaning I thought (i.e. "to fall a victim") makes any sense and might maybe refer to Leland falling a victim to BOB or even Cooper later falling a victim to BOB?
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Re: Fell a victim

Post by Jasper »

In English, we'd most often use the verb fell in relation to cutting down a tree, although it could relate to taking down any sort of thing, living or otherwise. It appears to be an order or suggestion given by or presented by Pierre, and it presumably involves killing someone or something, most likely in order to create garmonbozia which will nourish the lodge spirits, perhaps providing them with immortality.

It may be an order or suggestion directed specifically at BOB, who seems to be specially tasked with killing.
PandemoniumSeesaw

Post by PandemoniumSeesaw »

Yeah, I knew about the meaning of "to fell" (I looked it up after watching FWWM :wink:), but I was wondering whether it could make any sense for a native speaker interpreting that sentence in the way I did before knowing the actual meaning. As I get from your answer I guess it doesn't :wink:.
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Post by Jasper »

It does make sense. In the simplest terms it just means "Kill a victim." So a victim would be "falling victim" to this felling.

This is a meeting where they're deciding what to do, and that's what they plan. To me it's their first meeting before entering the lodge and from there victimizing individuals in our world/dimension.
OK,Bob
RR Diner Member

Post by OK,Bob »

I had always thought it was either a command to victimize or an observation that Bob had victimized. But an observation that Bob himself was a victim is a fascinating interpretation. Bob does have "the fury of his own momentum." Perhaps he is addicted, perhaps he and the Arm both, to pain and sorrow. When this kind of Fire starts, it is very hard to put out...

If there are parallels between Bob and Bobby, and Mike (the "One-Armed Man") and Mike ("the Man")... Perhaps there is a parallel to Laura. The mysterious Judy? Perhaps Judy wanted to corrupt spirits, because thats how she felt about herself... Note that in FWWM the Bob(by) / Mike parallels are drawn as both Bobs go behind both Mikes' backs...

So many mysteries...
Last edited by OK,Bob on Sat May 02, 2015 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
"OK, Bob. OK, BOB. OK." -Audrey Horne
OK,Bob
RR Diner Member

Post by OK,Bob »

Jasper wrote: This is a meeting where they're deciding what to do, and that's what they plan.
This is only a theory, though, correct?
"OK, Bob. OK, BOB. OK." -Audrey Horne
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Post by Jasper »

OK,Bob wrote:
Jasper wrote: This is a meeting where they're deciding what to do, and that's what they plan.
This is only a theory, though, correct?
I take it to be as much of a fact as we can have about any of this. At least one person has suggested it's a trial of BOB, and while I'm not on board with that, I find it very interesting, but either way it does not conflict with the command or suggestion voiced by Pierre, regarding the felling of a victim.

I don't know that there's consensus that it's the initial meeting of the group before invading our world, or if it's one of an ongoing series. I strongly favor the former, but I remain open to other suggestions.

I don't think there's any question whatsoever that this is some kind of a meeting where things are being decided, and that for whatever reason, one of the things decided on is the felling of a victim, and this meeting is concluded by BOB clapping his hands and opening a portal to the lodge, which we then see BOB and MIKE/TLMFAP walking into. In the script BOB claps and opens a ring of fire through which we see the lodge, but that wasn't used, probably for technical reasons. Instead BOB claps his hands and then we see MIKE/TLMFAP's face illuminated as if he's looking with wonder at (and thru) the ring of fire which we, the audience, don't directly see. This leads to "the in-between place", which is the lodge between our worlds, from which actions are taken that we know for a fact involve the felling of victims.
JEFFRIES:

Listen to me carefully. I saw one of their meetings. It was above a convenience store.

ALBERT:

Whose meeting? Where have you been?

COLE:

FOR GOD SAKES, JEFFRIES, YOU’VE BEEN GONE DAMN NEAR TWO YEARS.

JEFFRIES:

It was a dream.

(takes Albert by the arm)

We live inside a dream.

ALBERT:

And it’s raining Post Toasties.

JEFFRIES (shouting):

NO. NO. I found something … in Seattle at Judy’s … And then, there they were …

Albert is about to say something, but is stopped by Cole’s gentle pressure on his arm.

JEFFRIES:

They sat quietly for hours.

Cut to the room above the convenience store.

Six people in a large, barren, filthy room. Cheap plastic storm windows flap in the cold wind. In the foreground the Man from Another Place (Mike) and BOB sit at a formica table. Behind them on plastic torn chairs huddle Mrs. Tremond and her grandson. Two big woodsmen with full beards sit quietly.

FIRST WOODSMAN (subtitled):

We have descended from pure air.

MAN FROM ANOTHER PLACE (subtitled):

Going up and down. Intercourse between the two worlds.

BOB (subtitled):

Light of new discoveries.

MRS. TREMOND (subtitled):

Why not be composed of materials and combinations of atoms?

MRS. TREMOND’S GRANDSON (subtitled):

This is no accident.

This is a formica table. Green is its color.

He touches the table.

FIRST WOODSMAN (subtitled):

Our world.

With chrome. And everything will proceed cyclically.

SECOND WOODSMAN (subtitled):

Boneless.

MIKE [sic] (subtitled):

Yes, find the middle place.

Bob begins to scream with anger.

BOB (subtitled):

I HAVE THE FURY OF MY OWN MOMENTUM.

TREMOND’S GRANDSON [sic] (subtitled):

Fell a victim.

The Man From Another Place raises his hand.

Fire Walk With Me.

Bob claps his hand and a circle of fire appears in the room.

BOB (subtitled):

Fire Walk With Me.

THROUGH THE CIRCLE

We see the RED ROOM.

Bob crawls into the Red Room and Mike [sic] starts to yell and leaps in after him.

SECOND WOODSMAN (subtitled):

Thus time moves on.
RR Diner Member

Post by 4815162342 »

My native ears are telling me for your meaning it would be " (somebody) fell victim (to something)" i.e. to fall victim to, not to fall _a_ victim to. So only if they just said "fell victim" would I possibly interpret it elliptically as you suggest. But as stated it pulls toward the imperative.
Kmkmiller
Roadhouse Member

Post by Kmkmiller »

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/felling

Lumbering.... Fell a tree.

For mike, a table.

It was the man in the green coat.

I have no idea what that scene is, could be an incantation by which Lelands soul is transferred in to the monkey. Or the preparation of the monkey for Lelands soul for later when Leland finds his way in to the Black Lodge.
garethw
RR Diner Member

Post by garethw »

OK,Bob wrote:I... But an observation that Bob himself was a victim is a fascinating interpretation.
That's always been my interpretation. It mirrors what Coop says to Sarah, paraphrased, about there being things dark and heinous in this world, and that Leland fell victim to one of these things when he was innocent and trusting. When the grandson says this to Bob, Bob casts his eyes down and almost looks sympathetic.

But I suppose it could have been cleverly ambiguous.
Ygdrasel
Roadhouse Member

Post by Ygdrasel »

I painstakingly watched and rewatched that scene to interpret every line, motion, sound, etcetera (a process I truly, deeply enjoyed)...And my interpretation of that line is a command/suggestion that BOB take a new victim.
Twin Peaks has layers, man. Twin Peaks is an onion. 8)