Fan edits, fan art, official editing, etc...

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

OK,Bob
RR Diner Member

Re: Twin Peaks: Season Three confirmed for 2016 on Showtime

Post by OK,Bob »

Rudagger wrote:One thing I'm am curious about the fan edit is just if it helps bring a bit of that balance of light and dark. FWWM is a very bleak affair, and I think what most people miss is just those occasional moments of lightness. Obviously FWWM isn't supposed to be that, but, clearly Lynch at one point approached it in that manner as he had written/shot those scenes.
Though I mention it here with some trepidation, as a 25-year Peaks fan, I really enjoy the fan edit (particularly the 2nd version Q2 did). I don't feel it detracts from Laura's plight (any more than any tangential part of the series detracts from the impact of Episode 14's climax). On the contrary, I personally feel some of the additions - the first Palmer dinner, the scene at the Hayward home, Ed and Norma's retreat, etc. - augment the more terrifying scenes left in the final cut by providing some contrast.

I think it's interesting to consider what DKL would have left in the film if run-time hadn't been a consideration. Would he have trimmed every one of the scenes that showed us the lighter side of the town, of Laura's experience?

My only complaint with the Q2 fan edit is... that Lynch didn't do it himself.
Last edited by OK,Bob on Sun May 17, 2015 5:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
"OK, Bob. OK, BOB. OK." -Audrey Horne
saygoodbyetojack
Roadhouse Member

Post by saygoodbyetojack »

I love the q2 fanedit. It's great having the missing pieces and fwwm together in 3.5 hours of brilliance. Completely understand people who prefer to keep them separate though due to the way lynch released them
Qubism
Roadhouse Member
Location: Another Place - Where we're from, the birds sing a pretty song and there's always music in the air.

Post by Qubism »

I never managed to find that FWWM q2 fan edit and would REEEEEEALLY like to see it now... can anyone point me to a place it can be found?
Rudagger
RR Diner Member

Post by Rudagger »

Qubism wrote:I never managed to find that FWWM q2 fan edit and would REEEEEEALLY like to see it now... can anyone point me to a place it can be found?
All I'll say is that it's on the sites you'd probably think it is, and try searching Q2 FWWM (rather than Fire Walk With Me).
Rudagger
RR Diner Member

Post by Rudagger »

But I admit I have not watched the fanedit yet. I will definitely share my impression when I do.

In my opinion, Fire Walk With Me was not really designed as a coherent piece of cinema (the script reads like a grabbag). The fact that it arguably succeeds is such has much more to do with how it was shaped than how it was born. And it entails losing the excess baggage that works great in the Missing Pieces but could not have been incorporated into the film Fire Walk With Me truly wanted, and needed, to be.
I did read all of your post, but, can't fathom responding to all of it! (lots of interesting stuff in there though! Where'd you find all that info. Is a lot of it from Reflections?). I was just curious and skimmed through the Q2 edit to see where it transitions to the town of Twin Peaks; it's around an hour in. It definitely is odd structure that initially the script had about 1/3 of a film take place not involving the main character, transitions to her, and then ends back on Dale Cooper at around 3.5 hours.
Qubism
Roadhouse Member
Location: Another Place - Where we're from, the birds sing a pretty song and there's always music in the air.

Post by Qubism »

Arrrrghhhh Mateys, I be finding it now! (get that bloody Parrot off me shoulfer!) Its just that in the UK some Broadband providers block Maritime websites and think we're all daft enough to sit back and accept that.... Little do they know that as Detroit's Underground Resistance said "Your failed systems will be overcome electronically"

So I found a Maritime Inlet Proxy Site, thanks everyone, DLing DL's FWWM fan edit by Q2 now and yes of course I have the blu ray boxset so this is surely like a backup (in a different order!)

I may comment when I've got it and watched it......Anyone watched that North West Passage Fan Edit? Comments, thoughts?
OK,Bob
RR Diner Member

Post by OK,Bob »

Qubism wrote:Anyone watched that North West Passage Fan Edit? Comments, thoughts?
I personally didn't like that one at all...
"OK, Bob. OK, BOB. OK." -Audrey Horne
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Post by Jasper »

OK,Bob wrote:
Qubism wrote:Anyone watched that North West Passage Fan Edit? Comments, thoughts?
I personally didn't like that one at all...
It was well constructed for something that was completely unnecessary. For the life of me I don't understand why Q2 didn't tackle the rough patch of season two instead.

I don't really feel like there's any justification or need to edit any TP episode directed by David Lynch, and that really goes for any episode prior to Leland's funeral, even if it's not all 100% perfect. It's close enough.
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

I'd be interested in seeing Northwest Passage as a curio, but I don't use torrents anymore so I doubt I could find it. I also just find the premise sort of pointless.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

Post by LostInTheMovies »

Qubism wrote:Arrrrghhhh Mateys, I be finding it now! (get that bloody Parrot off me shoulfer!) Its just that in the UK some Broadband providers block Maritime websites and think we're all daft enough to sit back and accept that.... Little do they know that as Detroit's Underground Resistance said "Your failed systems will be overcome electronically"

So I found a Maritime Inlet Proxy Site, thanks everyone, DLing DL's FWWM fan edit by Q2 now and yes of course I have the blu ray boxset so this is surely like a backup (in a different order!)

I may comment when I've got it and watched it......Anyone watched that North West Passage Fan Edit? Comments, thoughts?
It was a fascinating experiment. I watched it about a year ago (before several rewatches of the series, so it's kind of been buried in my memory) and enjoyed it though I'm not sure I would say it "worked" as a standalone experience. The most interesting part to me was seeing certain aesthetic decisions, where it wasn't just a clear case of cutting stuff out but actually reshaping it - for example, showing only flashes of Bob attacking Maddy instead of the whole sequence (the idea being that we don't realize who the killer is until Cooper finds out).

Q2 also replaced the flashback to the dream with a bit of the final episode. I'm really not sure what the justification of this was but it worked kind of nicely. And ending with Cooper saying "Into the light" was very effective as a closing moment.

In fact, writing this right now makes me want to watch it again and write it up. I feel like it casts an interesting light on some things. For example, does Cooper's investigation actually work as an investigation? The way it's structured I'm not really sure one thing leads to another - it's more like a series of red herrings that offer a picture of what Laura was involved with but not necessarily who kills her.

Also, Audrey is reduced to a cameo - one irrelevant to the investigation, at that! - which is fairly misleading as to the role she played in the investigation (even if ultimately she provided a false lead).

Personally, I'm not really not keen on changing aspect ratios (it drives me kind of nuts when video essays do this just because but I'll admit it wasn't terribly distracting in this case for whatever reason. It makes you feel you are watching a different entity from the series, smoothing over the transition between episodes. One thing I remember noticing is that the various directors' episodes blended/blurred together much more than they did when I was watching the series...but Lynch's scenes stood out all the more.

Incidentally, when I saw Northwest Passage it had somehow made it to YouTube (a couple months earlier it wasn't on there). Looks like it's gone again now.
Kmkmiller
Roadhouse Member

Post by Kmkmiller »

I'd like to say I'm very much against fan edits that have artistic pretensions.

If its goofy and all in good fun, I'm usually pretty ok with that. One of my favorite mash up edit thingies was the Mulholland Drive video of Miley's "Party in the USA" that was sublime. So it's cool for fun. If you're an aspiring filmmaker, and you're trying to get an IMDB credit for your Twin Peaks edit, Oi, that is not the way.... make your own kind of music. Sing your own special song.

P.s. so I guess the only northwest passage I'm interested in is the one that shows up in Star Trek Voyager.
Rudagger
RR Diner Member

Post by Rudagger »

Kmkmiller wrote:I'd like to say I'm very much against fan edits that have artistic pretensions.

If its goofy and all in good fun, I'm usually pretty ok with that. One of my favorite mash up edit thingies was the Mulholland Drive video of Miley's "Party in the USA" that was sublime. So it's cool for fun. If you're an aspiring filmmaker, and you're trying to get an IMDB credit for your Twin Peaks edit, Oi, that is not the way.... make your own kind of music. Sing your own special song.
Eh, I think that's really unfair. For editors, it can be great practice to work with material that already exists. There's a large community around fan editing, whether trying to salvage the Star Wars Prequels, or just smoothly reintegrate deleted scenes into films (which requires some creative sound work in order to match scores).

Also, I haven't heard of anyone claiming IMDB credits for fan edits, so, I don't know where you got that impression?
Kmkmiller
Roadhouse Member

Post by Kmkmiller »

Well if it's for a school project I guess.

But why use Twin Peaks if you just want to learn the ropes on some new editing equipment? Won't anything do at that point.

Find a director or something. If someone is in film school it shouldn't be that hard. I'd even argue that working on something original forces a student to make more intuitive decisions. But yes, it will be more difficult to get people to watch it cause it doesn't have an immediately recognizable name.

But that's half the fun!!! The struggle!!!
LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

Post by LostInTheMovies »

I think a fanedit is interesting as a kind of alternate perspective on the work, sort of like a different way of viewing it (like a museum piece running two films next to each other or whatever). What makes me skittish is when claims are made that they replace or improve upon the original work (which seems to be an implicit or explicit argument behind the general idea of fanedits, admittedly). Not saying Q2 has necessarily said this about Twin Peaks. But it kind of bugged me that within a week of the blu-ray coming out there was this rush to re-incorporate the deleted scenes and that many people waited to watch them in that context (I've even heard people recommend watching the fanedit instead of/before the film which...ugh, just makes my skin crawl). I've dragged my feet to watch the FWWM/MP fanedit for that reason and also because the idea that you can just jam together two completely different works (however they were shot, Lynch cut and mixed them in radically different fashion) bugs me.

If it was presented in a "hey, here is this interesting experiment that it isn't supposed to gel as a film but just offers an approximation of Lynch's original script" then ok (although even that's problematic, since many of these elements may have been cut before he finalized other scenes that are in the movie). But it seems like it's been presented - and a lot of people are taking it - as a legitimate realization of an extended FWWM, which I just don't buy. But again, haven't seen it, maybe I'll be shocked at how well it flows. Doesn't change the fact that the principle behind it seems very misguided.

In the past year I've come to appreciate fan culture way more than I did in the past and Twin Peaks was definitely the gateway to that for me. That said, there are aspects of fan culture I really don't like, and one aspect is the idea of fans sort of seizing the work from the creator or claiming it's theirs, or (especially) demanding that a work comply to expectations and getting furious when it doesn't - a big thing in comic-book adaptations it seems. That's not much present in Twin Peaks, where there's a tendency to revere Lynch (and Frost) - although I'd imagine it was a bit more common back in 1992. But it's definitely a big thing in other fandoms and I feel it's essentially a gateway into cookie-cutter corporate ownership of individually-created enterprises. A big bummer.

Eh, anyway, not to derail the thread and get negative again. Point being, I trust Lynch's vision and I really, really hope Showtime airs FWWM (the original theatrical cut goes without saying) in 2016. It needs to be recognized as an essential part of the saga by new viewers.
Kmkmiller
Roadhouse Member

Post by Kmkmiller »

Ok.... The fan edit showing INCEPTION dream levels in real time in four different frames on one screen was pretty cool. So I can see what you mean about showing a cool different perspective.

I don't know. Just seems like an easy way to get noticed. Those poor aspiring filmmaker/editors working on something obscure. Who's gonna watch them? I'm just thinking about those poor souls.