Laura's dream

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Specialagentjeffries

Laura's dream

Post by Specialagentjeffries »

I know from the FWWM script that the reason why Laura looks to her bedroom door twice during her dream is because she hears her mother calling her from the stairs ( obviously from the future, the morning after she dies). Sarah Palmer's voice is slowed down and is exactly the same as in Cooper's two dreams in episode 2 and 9.

Watching the bluray, I hear the second time Sarah screams (just before Laura gets up to open her door) but not the first time Laura watches the door. Anyway, it's very low, almost buried in the mix, which is a shame since it's such a cool idea.
Can someone hear the two times Sarah calls Laura or Lynch eventually decided to keep only the last one, which is a bit odd since Laura has no reason to look at her door the first time she does?
LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

Re: Laura's dream

Post by LostInTheMovies »

Specialagentjeffries wrote:I know from the FWWM script that the reason why Laura looks to her bedroom door twice during her dream is because she hears her mother calling her from the stairs ( obviously from the future, the morning after she dies). Sarah Palmer's voice is slowed down and is exactly the same as in Cooper's two dreams in episode 2 and 9.

Watching the bluray, I hear the second time Sarah screams (just before Laura gets up to open her door) but not the first time Laura watches the door. Anyway, it's very low, almost buried in the mix, which is a shame since it's such a cool idea.
Can someone hear the two times Sarah calls Laura or Lynch eventually decided to keep only the last one, which is a bit odd since Laura has no reason to look at her door the first time she does?
I can definitely hear a faint "Laura" call around the time Laura approaches the door (can't remember at which points, but I think there are more than one). Always loved that touch. FWWM is definitely a film that rewards listening with headphones.
james
RR Diner Member

Post by james »

You're listening to FWWM on headphones?! What the.....?!

You need some good hi-fi speakers!
LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

Post by LostInTheMovies »

james wrote:You're listening to FWWM on headphones?! What the.....?!

You need some good hi-fi speakers!
Well, I'm not listening to it on dinky iPod earbuds.

Hi-fi speakers would be nice, if not remotely feasible at the moment. However, I would actually highly recommend that people listen to Lynch films on headphones at least once. That sort of intimacy and close attunement reveals a lot of subtle nuance that can get lost when mixed with room tone and/or or average-to-less-than-average sound setups. Especially with so many people watching films on their computer now.
MasterMastermind
RR Diner Member

Post by MasterMastermind »

Eraserhead with a pair of Sony MDR's? In heaven, everything is fine!