Please Help With a Long List of Questions About Twin Peaks

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Sooner Salesman

Please Help With a Long List of Questions About Twin Peaks

Post by Sooner Salesman »

I just finished watching “Twin Peaks” on Netflix, and I have a LOT of questions. I haven’t seen “Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me” yet. Please forgive me if any of these are stupid questions.

1. How exactly was Laura killed i.e. stabbed, strangled, beaten, etc?
2. Was Sarah Palmer psychic? (She saw a vision of Bob in an early episode)
3. How did Laura’s half of the necklace end up with Dr. Jacoby?
4. What was Agent Cooper’s dream sequence, where he’s visibly aged, with Laura and the short man supposed to mean?
5. Was there any significance to everyone liking coffee, donuts and pie?
6. Leo and Benjamin Horne were in together drug trafficking back and forth across the Canadian border, correct?
7. Why did Nadine try to kill herself?
8. Why was Hank in prison and what was the significance of his domino?
9. What did Leland Palmer’s hair turn white?
10. Was it ever known who the father of Lucy’s baby was?
11. Did Nicholas really kill his parents, if not, what was the significance of his character?
12. Explain the scene where Nadine woke up from her overdose.
13. How was Dr. Jacoby able to see the event of Jacque being suffocated when he was hypnotized if he wasn’t there when it happened?
14. Why couldn’t Harold go outside?
15. Explain the old woman and her grandson that Donna brought the meals on wheels to.
16. Why did Jean kill Blackie?
17. Explain the relationship between BOB and MIKE.
18. What happened to Audrey’s mother?
19. Why did BOB leave letters underneath the fingernails of his victims?
20. Where did Garland go when he was camping with Cooper and how/why?
21. What were the symbols on Garland and Margaret?
22. Why were people’s hands shaking in the episode toward the end?
23. Who was Sarah Palmer channeling from the Black Lodge when she was in the diner?
24. Why was Annie in a convent?
25. Did Leland die from hitting his head on the door of the interrogation room?
26. In one of the later episodes, there’s a scene where Bob is stepping out of space into the woods, what was happening there?
27. What was the significance of the oil?
28. Did Leo really want to help Shelly when Windom Earl said he was going to kill the winner of the Miss Twin Peaks contest?
29. What does “Fire Walk With Me” actually mean?

I’d appreciate any help with this questions about such a great show. Thanks!
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Re: Please Help With a Long List of Questions About Twin Pea

Post by Jasper »

Watch the series again and this time pay more attention to the details. You'll be able to answer the bulk of these questions. I know it's difficult to catch everything the first time through with so much happening, but having a huge list of questions like this answered by others isn't really experiencing the show.
Sooner Salesman

Jasper wrote:Watch the series again and this time pay more attention to the details. You'll be able to answer the bulk of these questions. I know it's difficult to catch everything the first time through with so much happening, but having a huge list of questions like this answered by others isn't really experiencing the show.

I really don't want to re-watch the entire series. I'd appreciate if you could answer as many questions as you could.
birchy
Roadhouse Member

Post by birchy »

For me one of the many magical aspects about Twin Peaks is that it is a show that relishes questions. And, like the saying goes, sometimes the questions are more important (and far more satisfying) than the answers. There's another saying too: Room to Dream. Sometimes, just sometimes, not having the answer allows a person the room to dream. Isn't that fun?

When I first saw the show I also had a laundry list of obsessive questions. Then I watched the show again. And then I forced everyone within a mile radius to watch the show. Seriously, I was the needy kid with the 50-cup capacity percolator in the trunk for impromptu TP marathons. I lugged around that VHS box set in my backpack, not leaving room for the required textbooks. But TP was my text, man!

I have to admit that your list of (29!) questions reads like a Twin Peaks Quiz for school. It gave me flashbacks. Ugh. Flashbacks that I had no desire to have. Is the show being taught in high school now? Maybe you can recreate the Red Room for extra credit. That'd be fun.

But, really, what the hell did happen to Audrey's mother? Where she'd go for vast swathes of episodes? And what happened to Audrey's brother? Where'd he go? Who really is Donna's daddy? What about Jacoby's wife? Where is she?
thefifthlizard
Roadhouse Member

Post by thefifthlizard »

Agree about looking for detail but there are a few here i'll try to answer.
Sooner Salesman wrote: 3. How did Laura’s half of the necklace end up with Dr. Jacoby?
At the end of the pilot, James and Donna bury the necklace in the gravel in the woods. Someone else is shown retrieving it. It is revealed in the following episodes that Jacoby followed them and dug it up.
6. Leo and Benjamin Horne were in together drug trafficking back and forth across the Canadian border, correct?
Leo and the Renault's were. I can't remember if Ben was involved in that but they were all associated with the mill plot.
8. Why was Hank in prison
IIRC he ran over someone, allowing himself to be convicted, therefore evading suspicion of his role in Andrew Packards supposed death (or something like that).
Not entirely sure but it may be significant that it occured after he killed Jacques Renault. It is probably connected to BOB.
She deduces it as Andy in the second last episode.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/agoraphobia
apparantly

Many of those other questions are very subjective and open to interpretation, like many things on Twin Peaks.
Sooner Salesman

thefifthlizard wrote:Agree about looking for detail but there are a few here i'll try to answer.
Sooner Salesman wrote: 3. How did Laura’s half of the necklace end up with Dr. Jacoby?
At the end of the pilot, James and Donna bury the necklace in the gravel in the woods. Someone else is shown retrieving it. It is revealed in the following episodes that Jacoby followed them and dug it up.
Leo and the Renault's were. I can't remember if Ben was involved in that but they were all associated with the mill plot.
8. Why was Hank in prison
IIRC he ran over someone, allowing himself to be convicted, therefore evading suspicion of his role in Andrew Packards supposed death (or something like that).
Not entirely sure but it may be significant that it occured after he killed Jacques Renault. It is probably connected to BOB.
She deduces it as Andy in the second last episode.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/agoraphobia
apparantly

Many of those other questions are very subjective and open to interpretation, like many things on Twin Peaks.

Thank you for answering those questions. As for the others, I could re-watch the show again and still not figure them out.
eyeboogers
Great Northern Member

Post by eyeboogers »

Maybe you haven't seen "Twin Peaks:Fire Walk With Me" yet? mostly stabbed i guess.

Yes, or rather an intuitive.

4. What was Agent Cooper’s dream sequence, where he’s visibly aged, with Laura and the short man supposed to mean?
Watch season 3.

Doesn't everyone?

Unrequited love.

It's either Andy or Dick. Lucy decided in the end that she doesn't care. This will probably be answered in season 3.

11. Did Nicholas really kill his parents, if not, what was the significance of his character?
Maybe none, but the show is not over.

13. How was Dr. Jacoby able to see the event of Jacque being suffocated when he was hypnotized if he wasn’t there when it happened?
He was there, in the hospital after being attacked at the gazebo.

15. Explain the old woman and her grandson that Donna brought the meals on wheels to.
Again, watch the movie. They are part of the Black Lodge/White lodge crew.

Again, watch the movie. They are part of the Black Lodge/White lodge crew. Bob's physical form is that of a neighbour from where the Palmer family owned a summer residence when Leland was a child. The neighbours were named Tremond(or was it Chalfont?) just like the old lady and her grandson.

Nothing happened to her, you see her in the final episode.

He was spelling out his name. Why will be answered in season three (in the "Between Two Worlds" featurette on the blu-ray set, Laura Palmer says "There are many people here (where she is now) with no names".

The White Lodge. We are not sure why.

They have to do with the owl cave and probably the white lodge.

Something (or someone) travelling through electricity and their hands are vibrating from being close to this specific type of current (watch the movie).

23. Who was Sarah Palmer channeling from the Black Lodge when she was in the diner?
I have been wondering that myself, does anyone know?

I think we only got half the story about that. Again this might be dealt with further in the future.

26. In one of the later episodes, there’s a scene where Bob is stepping out of space into the woods, what was happening there?
He was opening the door to the Black lodge.

28. Did Leo really want to help Shelly when Windom Earl said he was going to kill the winner of the Miss Twin Peaks contest?
Yes. He loves her in his own twisted way.

Since parts of the series and certainly the movie are about the effects of incest, i think that partly relates to how people committing this crime were often abused themselves. I think that is what that story about Leland as a kid and the neighbor alluded to. Lynch also talked about similar subject matters in "Blue Velvet" where Dorothy Valens has that "Your decease in in my now" line. In that example it had to do with something about sex mixed with violence but I think that's another example of Fire Walking, of joining up with a practice that leads to destruction and the death of innocence. Remember BoB is a possessing spirit, something that hollows out the host and takes control. Just like people who have been exposed to great horrors and lose themselves. Fire Walk With me is an invitation to go down that path, it seems Leland somehow was too weak and agreed and Laura was strong and stayed herself (but only in dying). That's why there is an angel for her in the red room and Leland has to stay there.
Ygdrasel
Roadhouse Member

Post by Ygdrasel »

> Explain the relationship between BOB and MIKE.

That is explained at multiple points in both film AND series. :? I think you really must need to rewatch...
Twin Peaks has layers, man. Twin Peaks is an onion. 8)
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

Sooner Salesman wrote:I just finished watching “Twin Peaks” on Netflix, and I have a LOT of questions. I haven’t seen “Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me” yet. Please forgive me if any of these are stupid questions. I’d appreciate any help with this questions about such a great show. Thanks!
While in the series Albert says none of her wounds were deep enough to kill, FWWM shows she was indeed stabbed.

Yes, she was "gifted".

3. How did Laura’s half of the necklace end up with Dr. Jacoby?
Jacoby had James' half, not Laura's- he followed James and Donna in the woods and dug it up (Mr's Palmer sees a glimpse of this).
There is a continuity mistake with the necklace though. When we first see that Jacoby had it, it has Laura's chain on it, which later switches back to James' cord (as it should be).

This you must interpret for yourself. But many clues were spelled out by Cooper, Laura whispers the Killer's name, and finally, Cooper enters his dream world physically in the final episode. And hints that he will stay for 25 years.

Part of the show's charm.

Leo and the Renault bros were. Ben had dealings with Leo (the mill fire) as well, so he was most likely involved somewhat as well.

Mentally unstable. And her drape runner patent was rejected.

8. Why was Hank in prison and what was the significance of his domino?
He hit/ran over someone to (somehow) shift suspicion off himself for Andrew's murder (a boat "accident", in which Andrew didn't actually die)

Somehow connected to his possession.

Biologically, no (not yet). Although Lucy does choose Andy as the man to help raise it.

Most fans would say it has no significance whatsoever. It was there for Andy & Dick to explore fatherhood responsibilities. And proved how self-absorbed they both were.

12. Explain the scene where Nadine woke up from her overdose.
Jacoby & Doc Hayward explain her strength as increased adrenaline. Plus she believes she is 18 again.

Jacoby WAS there in the hospital when Leland killed Jacques.

Agoraphobia.

They are Lodge denizens. We see them again in FWWM.

16. Why did Jean kill Blackie?
He wanted full control of One-Eyed Jacks. Plus he was in love with her sister Nancy.

They killed together. Later Mike decided he wanted to stop Bob.

Nothing- she is there in the final episode. The writers were obviously not that interested in exploring her. We must assume she was around and not seen.

The signature on a demon self portrait.

The White Lodge most likely. As to why...

Connected to the Lodges.

Most likely because the Lodge doors were open.

Not 100% sure on this, could be Windom Earle.

In high-school she had an bad incident with a boy, leading her to try to commit suicide. After that she probably found religion as a way to save herself. And to find a safe place for herself in the world.

Yes. Whether this was all Leland, or Bob is the question.

Opening the door to the Lodge.

27. What was the significance of the oil?
It is connected to the Lodges, and is in the circle in Glastonberry Grove. Burnt oil can be smelled many times when Lodge denizens are near.

I believe so. A connection to his old (pre-captive) life.

Most likely the Lodge spirits walking in our world.
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
http://twinpeakssoundtrackdesign.blogspot.com/
StealThisCorn
RR Diner Member
Location: Laying on Laura's lap in the Red Room / Gorging on garmonbozia with Bob Above the Convenience Store

Post by StealThisCorn »

I think what is most amusing about this list is how different some of the answers to the same questions are from different users on this very board. It also seemed like there were some assumptions/theories being presented as fact but maybe that's just everyone giving their individual take on some points?

What this shows, however, is that some of these questions are really open to interpretation. Maybe in Season 3 Lynch/Frost will drop further hints but even then it will probably still be murky because that's how Lynch likes to present things. So really you should give it some time and rewatch everything again and see what more you get out of it.

As to how Laura was killed though, remember that in Episode 1, Dr. Hayward says what killed Laura was "loss of blood". Numerous shallow wounds, none instantly fatal like a main artery. This is more or less confirmed by all later scenes of Laura's murder, such as in the film. The film understandably truncates this experience to a series of frightening flashes of Leland bringing the knife down and Laura gushing blood. But presumably Leland/BOB tortured her with a knife to break her down and she simply expired eventually from losing so much blood.