Possible SPOILERS: S3 casting & returning actors/characters

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Agent Sam Stanley
Bookhouse Member

Re: Possible SPOILERS: S3 casting & returning actors/charact

Post by Agent Sam Stanley »

kafa81 wrote:
Agent Sam Stanley wrote:Let's prey this is related to BOB or Donna. Lynch said once that Audrey couldn't be recast, so I think if he can't get Sherilyn she will be cut out of the story just like in FWWM.

I hope they won't recast Ontkean, I think this will be disastrous :?

Recasting Ontkean/Truman would suck...I would rather they give him an out in the book then see something like that...I hope Ontkean is back in it...Truman and Coop had great chemistry
I agree. Truman got depressed seeing Cooper lose his mind after the Black Lodge so he passed the sheriff torch to somebody else and left TP for good. Only Ontkean can play Harry.
euro
Roadhouse Member

Post by euro »

Could also be Michael J. Anderson, imho.

Donna would be okay,maybe the rumor means, that Moira Kelly plays her ?!? (rumors abound that at least one major role from the original series has been recast). ..... Moira didn't play Donna in the Original Series.
Through the darkness of futures past
The magician longs to see
One chants out between two worlds
Fire walk with me
Agent Sam Stanley
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Sam Stanley »

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. Moira Kelly could be the recast (best possible scenario for me).
timgerdes

Post by timgerdes »

Ross wrote:I'm hesitant to say anyone is a safe bet at this point, because we really don't know what real life circumstances are happening behind the scenes. Lynch may have told people they were going to be in the scripts way back when, and things still could have fallen through later on (Sherilyn??).
While nothing is certain before an actor appears on set and is filming, I think there are certain people who will most assuredly be in the show. Were Jack Nance alive, I'm confident he'd be in the new season of Twin Peaks. We already have confirmation of Harry Dean Stanton--another frequent Lynch collaborator. I would assume that Charlotte Stewart is a given, considering her relationship with Lynch. And, of course Catherine E. Coulson.

I was present at an even last November with Catherine, which I wrote about here. For what it's worth I had no input to the clickbaity title. Granted this was before Lynch's departure from and subsequent return to the project, but considering the history of the Log Girl character, and their long standing friendship--with Lynch offering her advice about Margaret's motivations, even in episodes he didn't direct--I can't imagine seeing Twin Peaks without her.

And even though there has been a lot of noise about Sherilyn Fenn, she did recently tweet that the "seemingly endless" issues would be resolved. And, like other participants, she has signed a non-disclosure. Of any of the major characters she seems the biggest worry at the moment. But Lynch did not replace Fenn in FWWM because he believed there never could be another Audrey.

And if even the smallest roles (Toad, Heidi) are being incorporated, I can't imagine the story without one of it's key players. I have confidence that if envisioned for the story, Lynch and Frost will do whatever they can to secure cast participation.
Eater of Iguanas
RR Diner Member

Post by Eater of Iguanas »

Ha! Carl Rodd returns! In a previous version of the original S3 thread, I half-joked that Carl was one of the characters I most wanted to see back. I wouldn't have bet a nickel that it would happen, though. Sometimes the world gives you a present.

Any possibility that national treasure Harry Dean Stanton is playing a different character? Or is it confirmed that he's Carl? I picture him bundled up in a blanket in a chair in a nursing home, complaining bitterly about his kids' making him leave his trailer park, and stopping mid-conversation to yell at a cohort to turn down the damn TV.

Wild at Heart is far from my favorite Lynch, but Stanton's poor Johnny Farragut is a melancholy joy every time he's onscreen - the most human and engaging character in the movie. And in fact, I'd say almost the same thing about Carl in FWWM.

As for the rumors about recasting, remember that there are few sentences used on the internet more often or indiscriminately than "rumors say" or some variation thereof. While I'm not as committed as a lot of fans to certain characters/actors returning, I have to say that a recast Truman would be a travesty - but I think Lynch and Frost know that perfectly well. Agreed that it's more likely Donna or Bob, if it isn't just idle fabrication.
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

He's Carl.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

N. Needleman wrote:He's Carl.
...and he still has a sign telling you when you can and cannot disturb him!
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
sugarhigh
Roadhouse Member

Post by sugarhigh »

I can confirm Riley was on set every time I saw filming this week. He was working as a crew member, not acting.
A salamander spit donuts.
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

sugarhigh wrote:I can confirm Riley was on set every time I saw filming this week. He was working as a crew member, not acting.
Woodsman says he thought Riley changed his clothes and had a part or as an extra at the Gas Farm location.
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
dougguitar

Post by dougguitar »

I've been wondering whether the recast role might be Major Briggs. Garland Briggs was a key connection to the supernatural (extra-terrestrial?) aspects of Twin Peaks, including the Black and White Lodges. It might just be my personal preference, since he was one of my favorite characters, but I'd love to see that connection play out in the new season.

With Don Davis' passing in 2008, this character, like BOB, would have to be recast, so maybe?

Doug
WhiteLodge90
RR Diner Member
Location: You're on the path. you don't need to know where it leads. just follow.

Post by WhiteLodge90 »

For the unknown's this is what publicly has been said on their involvement

Laura Palmer/Maddy Ferguson (Sheryl Lee) - Has said at Twin Peaks festivals that David told her she would be a part of the new show.
Harry Truman (Michael Ontkean) - In an interview last year Hawk had said he believed Truman would be back. Also last winter he was publicly looking for his old sheriff's jacket. This isn't a conformation but I'd be he's in it despite all the recent rumors... I mean he has to be!
Leland Palmer (Ray Wise) - Has hinted to being involved last year and mentioned Lynch said he'd be apart of the show. Of course this was over a year ago so its not confirmed.
Benjamin Horne (Richard Beymer) - Not much from what I've heard accept for him saying he hopes they didn't kill off Ben. Hopefully he'll be back!
Donna Hayward (Lara Flynn Boyle)/Donna Hayward (Moira Kelly) - Literally nothing I've heard. I know I saw recently that Flynn Boyle wanted desperately to return but I don't know if that's still true or if the feeling is mutual.
Lucy Moran (Kimmy Robertson) - Not much but I know she's very in the loop with Lynch and I'd put a good bet she'd return.
Jerry Horne (David Patrick Kelly) - Has expressed interest in returning
Audrey Horne (Sherilyn Fenn) - I'd bet she would be back. There's been a lot of cryptic back and forth but I think she'll be back
Hank Jennings (Chris Mulkey) - Has expressed interest in returning
Albert Rosenfield (Miguel Ferrer) - Nothing new though the actor said he was excited the show was coming back
Andy Brennan (Harry Goaz) - This is from an article from April "Goaz has been talking with Lynch, but nothing is confirmed as of press time" I'd say it could go either way
Dick Tremayne (Ian Buchanan) - Has expressed interest in coming back.
Dennis/Denise Bryson (David Duchovny) - Has said he'd like to and thinks he will come back, though nothing is confirmed.
Catherine Martell (Piper Laurie) - Has said on numerous occasions she would like to come back
Josie Packard (Joan Chen) - Has expressed interest
Leo Johnson (Eric DaRe) - Probably one of the most elusive and mysterious cast members. Not much if anything has been seen or heard of him in the last few years. His mom is casting the show again though so fingers crossed.
The Giant (Carel Struycken) - From August "I haven't been contacted, but I -- well, I expect to be contacted, let's put it that way. ...I think I belong there."
Phillip Gerard (Al Strobel) - Just past weekend was quoted as saying
“I'm thrilled to be able to do it again.”
James Hurley (James Marshall) - Has expressed some interest
Windom Earle (Kenneth Welsh) - Has expressed interest
Man From Another Place (Michael J. Anderson) - Was seen in Twin Peaks promo so it would seem odd if he wasn't but he was also recently quoted as saying it didn't appear he'd be back. But who knows...

Feel free to add to this or update anything.
The milk will get cool on you pretty soon.
John Justice Wheeler
RR Diner Member

Post by John Justice Wheeler »

dougguitar wrote:I've been wondering whether the recast role might be Major Briggs. Garland Briggs was a key connection to the supernatural (extra-terrestrial?) aspects of Twin Peaks, including the Black and White Lodges. It might just be my personal preference, since he was one of my favorite characters, but I'd love to see that connection play out in the new season.

With Don Davis' passing in 2008, this character, like BOB, would have to be recast, so maybe?

Doug
Yeah, I don't know. I've been rewatching the series lately and am struck by how often in the episodes that he directs Lynch focuses upon or emphasizes Bobby's nascent sensitivity, his potential in other words. He's actually positioned as far more of an empath than James (compare their reactions right after Maddy's fate is sealed in episode 14). It is admittedly far more suggested than brought forth at this early stage but it is there to be developed. And I would be surprised really if Lynch doesn't fulfill that by having Bobby age into inheriting a variation on some of his father's traits, fulfilling his father's vision in some sense and also picking up his mantle. I imagine a similar shift happening now between the Log Lady and Sarah Palmer, one that was implied in the series but can be fully elaborated upon now since the twin profound tragedies of the series. It's in this sort of a way that I imagine Lynch/Frost keeping an essence of these characters alive within the show while also having it remain intimate and within the family of the show, not simply relying upon new characters or re-casting to fill those particular voids, so that it has a deep reaching impact upon us as viewers with a long history of relationships to those characters.
Furious Momentum

Post by Furious Momentum »

bumping this thread since I noticed some changes to the list over the weekend.
dud
RR Diner Member

Post by dud »

anyone else feel like there should be another subcategory for actors from the unknown section who have stated / implied that they'll return? or maybe that could also count as 'rumored?' like al strobel, piper laurie, david duchovy etc, it's weird to me that al stobel would be in the same category as someone like david bowie when one is much more likely to return than the other.. maybe i'm just being nitpicky lol
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Ross wrote: Never announced, but Confirmed:

Unknown (Sheryl Lee)
Goosebumps!

Ross wrote:
New Cast:
Robert Forster (Sheriff Harry S. Truman?)

Not Returning:
Harry Truman (Michael Ontkean) - Possibly Recast
:(

Ross wrote: Unknown:
Audrey Horne (Sherilyn Fenn)
Phillip Gerard (Al Strobel)
Should these two be bumped up to Never Announced But Confirmed - or at least to Rumoured, where Kimmy Robertson is? Based on Al Strobel's very definitive comments at the UK Twin Peaks Festival, it seems he will be back. And Sherilyn has sort of indicated she will be too, from comments at the fest - and on social media, though admittedly not as candidly.
Last edited by Jonah on Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.